Will I make it???

thedudeabides

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Went to the store to get a couple butts for my son’s 4th birthday party at 6:30 this evening. Shoulder was $6.80 lb. Brisket was $3.70 lb. I was basically forced to grab the brisket. Put it on at 7:30 PM and hoping it will be ready to serve around 3:30 PM tomorrow. I like resting my brisket for at least 3 hours. Hope the last minute decision won’t burn me. Think I’m good?

You should be fine depending on the size of the brisket and the temp you are cooking it. Even a 16 hour cook gives you plenty of time for the rest.

You should be fine depending on the size of the brisket and the temp you are cooking it. Even a 16 hour cook gives you plenty of time for the rest.
15 lbs before trimming. Have it on at 225. Think I should be fine. I normally have brisket well planned out to ensure tons of time and just keep a long rest, but this one was spur of the moment run home trim and toss on for a hard 3PM time. Hope it is what we both think!!

Wrap it after you're happy with the bark, put it/them in the oven at up to 350F, depending on how fast you want to cook.

If you absolutely are against wrapping, you can really crank up the heat. I've done 400F brisket and it was good. But wrapping guarantees moist meat.

8 AM and 162* Bark not quite what I want but have to wrap. Have upped from 225-275- now 300

Attachments

• 60C4435F-89BB-41AC-9793-87D838687CA9.jpeg
    60C4435F-89BB-41AC-9793-87D838687CA9.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 76
8 AM and 162* Bark not quite what I want but have to wrap. Have upped from 225-275- now 300
It's going to be tight. I think you ought to consider 350F, given you only have 6 hrs left for serving. There's no need to run your grill once you wrap. This isn't BBQ Pitmasters competition. Double wrap, put it in your oven with a cookie sheet under it to catch any leaks.

Just remember that the "poke tender" temperature will be higher than you'd see cooking at 225-250. Tender may be around 210-212.

I'm more curious as to why you were "forced" to get the brisket over the butt? :) Risky move for sure, the butt was the safe bet......but I have a feeling you are gonna be fine.

Worst case, stay at 225 for a few hours to get as much smoke on as you can, but don't be afraid to go up to 300 to speed things up.
200* now. Bumped to 300 and wrapped at 8. Prone slipping through, can have a nice rest. All is good for now, hopefully all is well when the first slice hits!

I'm more curious as to why you were "forced" to get the brisket over the butt? :) Risky move for sure, the butt was the safe bet......but I have a feeling you are gonna be fine.
Basically I couldn’t justify purchasing pork butt for double the price. The price of butt shocked me. Brisket under $4 also shocked me!

Basically I couldn’t justify purchasing pork butt for double the price. The price of butt shocked me. Brisket under $4 also shocked
4 yr old, burgers and dogs would be the ticket . JK, should be fine wrapped and higher heat
young ones have dogs for sure!

I used some of the rendered fat/tallow and injected some into the flat just before setting it to rest. Have never heard of anyone doing this…Has anyone? Any suggestions why it might work against me? Shouldn’t be enough to make anything mushy, just trying to give flat a little extra protection.

I used some of the rendered fat/tallow and injected some into the flat just before setting it to rest. Have never heard of anyone doing this…Has anyone? Any suggestions why it might work against me? Shouldn’t be enough to make anything mushy, just trying to give flat a little extra protection.
Go for it. Harry Soo showed us a "rehydrating" tip, where he takes a brisket that is freshly finished, but still wrapped, opens the foil and slowly pours a concentrated broth over it. He picked me to actually demonstrate it in the class. I could see the meat soaking up the broth like a sponge.

When I injected my brisket with Wagyu tallow, I heated it, of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back