Utility grade beef tenderloin

From Restaurantware web site

”Utility" grade beef is primarily used in canned or frozen products, where the tenderness and marbling of the meat are of lesser importance. It is not typically sold directly to consumers and is primarily used in processed foods.

and another
Utility and lower grades: Below USDA Choice, there are lower grades such as Utility or Cutter. These grades may vary depending on the specific classification system used, but they generally indicate beef with less desirable characteristics. This could include lower marbling, reduced tenderness, or other factors that impact the overall eating experience. Utility-grade beef is often used for processed meat products or ground beef rather than premium cuts.

”Utility" grade beef is primarily used in canned or frozen products, where the tenderness and marbling of the meat are of lesser importance. It is not typically sold directly to consumers and is primarily used in processed foods.

and another
Utility and lower grades: Below USDA Choice, there are lower grades such as Utility or Cutter. These grades may vary depending on the specific classification system used, but they generally indicate beef with less desirable characteristics. This could include lower marbling, reduced tenderness, or other factors that impact the overall eating experience. Utility-grade beef is often used for processed meat products or ground beef rather than premium cuts.
A friend of mine served in the Navy on submarines.
He one told me the cases of meat were stamped “ unfit for human consumption, To be used by Military and prisons only”

and another
Eat Dog Food GIF by BuzzFeed

A friend of mine served in the Navy on submarines.
He one told me the cases of meat were stamped “ unfit for human consumption, To be used by Military and prisons only”

That is BS, I served 20 years on submarines. We had the best food in the Navy. Submarines were given 2 times the food allowance per sailor than the rest of the navy got. No one even the surface ships were given give food stamped unfit for human consumption.

…unfit for human consumption, To be used by Military and prisons only”
That line has been around for eons, and it was never true. In my early years, I worked on submarines at a Navy shipyard (Mare Island” and can vouch for the quality of food served on them. When they were “in the yard” for refit, us “graveyard” guys often did “special projects” for the galley chief and got “rewarded” in food; darn good food!

That is BS, I served 20 years on submarines. We had the best food in the Navy. Submarines were given 2 times the food allowance per ties for Isailor than the rest of the navy got. No one even the surface ships were given give food stamped unfit for human consumption.
And that’s how stories go.

I worked on submarines at a Navy shipyard (Mare Island” and can vouch for the quality of food served on them. When they were “in the yard” for refit, us “graveyard” guys often did “special projects” for the galley chief and got “rewarded” in food; darn good food!

Jim, thanks for all you did for the submarine service, what boats did you work on at Mare Island? They had a couple of the “special project” submarines there that went on some very interesting and highly classified missions. Did you ever visit the Hourse and Cow pub in Vallejo?

Jim, thanks for all you did for the submarine service, what boats did you work on at Mare Island? They had a couple of the “special project” submarines there that went on some very interesting and highly classified missions. Did you ever visit the Hourse and Cow pub in Vallejo?
Got to dig deep in the ol’ memory banks. Some ot them were the SSBN ‘s Kamehameha, Robert E. Lee and Andrew Jackson, and fast attacks Gurnard, Guitarro and a couple more I can’t recall at the moment. Those were all “new construction” and I saw the launches.

We also did a lot of maintenance and refit on boats that were only in the yard for relatively short periods. All nukes; I don’t recall ever working on any of the older diesel/electrics; they were pretty much phased out by then.

I worked at Mare Island from 1965 until 1972. Completed a pipe fitter apprenticeship there before pursuing a different career. I always liked the submarines and I may have even been in parts of those boats where you’ve never been. 😉 Like between the inner and outer hull at the keel? Tight quarters, but someone had to do it—and, I was a young apprentice then,🤣

Last edited:
Got to dig deep in the ol’ memory banks. Some ot them were the SSBN ‘s Kamehameha, Robert E. Lee and Andrew Jackson, and fast attacks Gurnard, Guitarro and a couple more I can’t recall at the moment. Those were all “new construction” and I saw the launches.

We also did a lot of maintenance and refit on boats that were only in the yard for relatively short periods. All nukes; I don’t recall ever working on any of the older diesel/electrics; they were pretty much phased out by then.

I worked at Mare Island from 1965 until 1972. Completed a pipe fitter apprenticeship there before pursuing a different career. I always liked the submarines and I may have even been in parts of those boats where you’ve never been. 😉 Like between the inner and outer hull at the keel? Tight quarters, but someone had to do it—and, I was a young apprentice then,🤣
That is an impressive list of subs you worked on, thanks for sharing! The first submarine I served on was the Sand Lance (SSN660), new construction, at Portsmouth Naval shipyard in 1970. The only other new construction I was on was built at EB in Groton. I was stationed at Mare Island twice for Data Systems class A and C schools.

I've heard that utility description for Taco Bell meat. Cut off a piece and fry it or grill it to see what it's like - then decide what you want to do with it. Worst case would be awesome chili, best case you got the top end anomaly in that classification and it's actually OK to grill. We've bought ungraded plenty of times - much is grill-able, much is stroganoff or chili.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back