Stampede Tool Hooks For the 590

TheRealRustyP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Good morning everyone. I am a new 590 owner (picked it up in Evans about a week ago). So far, I love it. The one thing I don't love is that there is nowhere to store my tools. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they use?

The number of tools seems to multiply over time. (tongs, 3 spatulas, digital thermometer, cutting board & pan, knives, large roll of alum foil, gloves, pizza stone, griddle, rib rack, alum foil pans, etc.) Almost embarrassing. I got really tired of going back and forth to the kitchen & also ran out of drawer space. So I bought a tool cart from Harbor Freight & put a granite top on it & good quality casters. It has been incredibly handy as a storage, prep, serving unit.
If you will only have a pair of tongs & a spatula, then it's a little easier. Might want to think ahead about what type of cooking you will do & what tools you may want to have nearby. Do you want some extra counter space / how close is the kitchen / and so on. I'm guessing that most people investing in a good quality smoker are doing or will do a large variety of cooking. Good Luck!

1607437492899.png

This reminds me of a funny story. Years ago my dad bought a Little Rock tumbler (probably $15) just for fun for my brother and I on Christmas. Ten years later he had all sorts of equipment, was making silver jewelry, taking classes and going on trips to scout out raw material. You just never know. Probably a lot of people bought the same thing and lost interest.

Looks like there's some screws on the front of the hopper. I bet I could make something to use those screws. I make hooks for the Bullseye to solve the same problem.

Any chance you can send me some pics and diameter of those screws - thread width and head width? requires a caliper if you have one :)

I'm working on a black plastic tool holder with magnet. I use rare earth magnets with 18 lb weight capacity.

Hoping to have something to show off later this week. Still prototyping. Goal is to have T slots like your garage wall storage. Would allow you can slide on various hooks and attachments to customize.

1608065092220.png

There are an number of good suggestions here, to which I'd add individual hooks with strong magnets also on Amazon and elsewhere. The main idea is not some solution that drills holes and is more fixed in nature. With a clip or magnet arrangement you've got flexibility going forward as your desires change.

@ARCbbq I've been eyeing that same cart online as I like the drawer/door arrangement, but my local HF store doesn't stock it for me to inspect. I realize HF products at this price point aren't going to be high end/heavy duty, but for the use intended serviceable will do if not annoying. My annoyance points would be body flex from thin material, particularly when moving, sticky or grumbling drawer slides, and the drawer wiggling about when moved or extended. You've already changed the casters so that concern is out. What say you about that unit?

There are an number of good suggestions here, to which I'd add individual hooks with strong magnets also on Amazon and elsewhere. The main idea is not some solution that drills holes and is more fixed in nature. With a clip or magnet arrangement you've got flexibility going forward as your desires change.

@ARCbbq I've been eyeing that same cart online as I like the drawer/door arrangement, but my local HF store doesn't stock it for me to inspect. I realize HF products at this price point aren't going to be high end/heavy duty, but for the use intended serviceable will do if not annoying. My annoyance points would be body flex from thin material, particularly when moving, sticky or grumbling drawer slides, and the drawer wiggling about when moved or extended. You've already changed the casters so that concern is out. What say you about that unit?
I just posted to another thread where another user had nuked his magnets so I figured I'd post a quick heads up here to for anyone who hadn't thought of it: Heat kills magnets. Any direct exposure to temperatures above 176 degrees Fahrenheit could potentially demagnetize a magnet. How much above and how long varies but just know that it's a risk. Depending on where you mount these this may not be an issue but it's something to keep in mind when considering solutions given the nature of this device.

I didn't know that, thanks.

I was following this conversation as well. Stopped in HF today even though online it said I could only order this box locally, for delivery to the store. Not only did they have a display model, they had them in stock. I was impressed enough that I bought one. I took a 20% coupon with me, and was told it could not be used on toolboxes, but they offered to give me 10% off. Done.

Mine is still in the box, but I was impressed with the floor model. I was looking at stainless steel tables to add to my outdoor kitchen, but I think this might be the perfect fit for me to also store all the crap I grill with. I make my own cutting boards, so I may replace the entire top with my own creation. I don’t expect Kennedy toolbox quality at this price, but I think this will work well for what I was looking for.

I just posted to another thread where another user had nuked his magnets so I figured I'd post a quick heads up here to for anyone who hadn't thought of it: Heat kills magnets. Any direct exposure to temperatures above 176 degrees Fahrenheit could potentially demagnetize a magnet. How much above and how long varies but just know that it's a risk. Depending on where you mount these this may not be an issue but it's something to keep in mind when considering solutions given the nature of this device.
Must have been not great magnets. Rare earth work great up to like 175 degrees or so. You just don't put them on the barrel and you'll be fine.

Must have been not great magnets. Rare earth work great up to like 175 degrees or so. You just don't put them on the barrel and you'll be fine.
The quality doesn't matter so much as the location of said magnets. Magnets are magnets and heat will kill them. That's a known fact that not everyone may be aware of. You said in your own post that temps above 175 degrees cause issues so we're in agreement. You're basically saying the same thing I said and (oddly) making it seem like we're in disagreement.

I was only bringing the fact that heat kills magnets up since this forum is dedicated to devices whose sole purpose is to generate heat. Some may think it wise to mount the magnets directly on the smoker itself or other areas that could potentially get hot enough to ruin their magnets w/o thinking about it. The only purpose of my post was to point this out for those who maybe didn't know.

Of course you can still use them in other areas once you're armed with this knowledge. This is basically what I was saying I just didn't think I needed to spell out once you know to avoid temperatures approaching 175 degrees.

I was following this conversation as well. Stopped in HF today even though online it said I could only order this box locally, for delivery to the store. Not only did they have a display model, they had them in stock. I was impressed enough that I bought one. I took a 20% coupon with me, and was told it could not be used on toolboxes, but they offered to give me 10% off. Done.

Mine is still in the box, but I was impressed with the floor model. I was looking at stainless steel tables to add to my outdoor kitchen, but I think this might be the perfect fit for me to also store all the crap I grill with. I make my own cutting boards, so I may replace the entire top with my own creation. I don’t expect Kennedy toolbox quality at this price, but I think this will work well for what I was looking for.
Thanks for the response Greg, that's helpful. I'd appreciate hearing how you feel about it once you worked with it a bit. Your approach to many of the discussion points here seem in concert with my experiences so your opinion is valued.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back