Porter Road?

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I'm two for two now on trying Porter Road for some proteins. I did a really great dry aged cowboy steak a few weeks ago (reverse smoke then sear on my PK Grill over mesquite lump charcoal) and just did some of their skirt steak (in a wok for oyster sauce beef) tonight. I'm defrosting their dry aged dino bones for a Sunday cook. This was a total random purchase, but I'm curious if others have tried them and their experience. So far so good...at least for me.

I'm always looking for options as the local butcher thinks his meat is gold-plated, the big box grocery is always so so, and Costco is Costco.

So I'm two for two now on trying Porter Road for some proteins. I did a really great dry aged cowboy steak a few weeks ago (reverse smoke then sear on my PK Grill over mesquite lump charcoal) and just did some of their skirt steak (in a wok for oyster sauce beef) tonight. I'm defrosting their dry aged dino bones for a Sunday cook. This was a total random purchase, but I'm curious if others have tried them and their experience. So far so good...at least for me.

I'm always looking for options as the local butcher thinks his meat is gold-plated, the big box grocery is always so so, and Costco is Costco.
Please let me know how those Dinos are please sir. I’m assuming they’re Prime based off the prices? The pricing on everything seems pretty good compared to other places. Looking forward to hearing your results!

Being way out here on the Left Coast, I’ve always been a bit concerned about shipping times and the reliability of the delivery services. That’s why I have limited myself to Snake River Farms and Meatandpotatoes.com, both based in Idaho. I get my orders from them next-day or second-day.

I get most our chicken from Butcher Box, best I have ever had and the family concurs. Their small pork shoulders are also amazing as well, everything is still rock solid frozen when I get delivered.

UPDATE: I did not pay attention to see that my first two Porter Road purchases came with a whopping $39 shipping charge. I saw this after my initial post. Their website said free shipping for over $100. I contacted them yesterday and was sent a delightful color coded map of the country of their now "variable" shipping charges in direct conflict with what's published on their website. FYI, anything west of the Mississippi is effectively blacklisted. This map was NOT on their website yesterday, but appeared today (10/06/2023), but their billing had been doing this pricing model since late August:

1696633826412.png

No offer to make things right. No explanation of why the checkout did not reflect all of the language on their website, and frankly ZERO f--ks about the discrepancy/false statements. Just an updated shipping price model appearing overnight.

I'll be moving on to other suppliers. Porter Road's products were very good, but slimeball business practices (i.e. the overnight change to their website) has killed them for me.

Wild Fork has gone downhill for me lately as well (why I was shopping around). It used to arrive in well-packed boxes with dry ice like most places. Now it's showing up in paper grocery bags from the airport with ice packs using Shipt (Target's version of Instacart) instead of UPS. Some sketchy dude in a beat up Prius delivered my last Wild Fork order that was already starting to thaw.

Snake River Farms has yet to disappoint, beyond price point, so I'll still use them for special stuff. I'll be looking at some of the other outfits mentioned above. I appreciate the other sources folks mentioned.

I used Porter Road a couple years ago, primarily due to receiving a $100 gift certificate. I ordered a number of specialty beef and pork cuts. All were great, although they are pricey. I'm located in Missouri. The shipping was free, being that the order was over $100. The shipment was packed very well with plenty of ice and insulation. If it wasn't for the gift certificate, I probably wouldn't have ordered. I prefer using a local business or direct from the farm. If I need special cuts, I might try Snake River.

UPDATE: I did not pay attention to see that my first two Porter Road purchases came with a whopping $39 shipping charge. I saw this after my initial post. Their website said free shipping for over $100. I contacted them yesterday and was sent a delightful color coded map of the country of their now "variable" shipping charges in direct conflict with what's published on their website. FYI, anything west of the Mississippi is effectively blacklisted. This map was NOT on their website yesterday, but appeared today (10/06/2023), but their billing had been doing this pricing model since late August:

View attachment 20261

No offer to make things right. No explanation of why the checkout did not reflect all of the language on their website, and frankly ZERO f--ks about the discrepancy/false statements. Just an updated shipping price model appearing overnight.

I'll be moving on to other suppliers. Porter Road's products were very good, but slimeball business practices (i.e. the overnight change to their website) has killed them for me.

Wild Fork has gone downhill for me lately as well (why I was shopping around). It used to arrive in well-packed boxes with dry ice like most places. Now it's showing up in paper grocery bags from the airport with ice packs using Shipt (Target's version of Instacart) instead of UPS. Some sketchy dude in a beat up Prius delivered my last Wild Fork order that was already starting to thaw.

Snake River Farms has yet to disappoint, beyond price point, so I'll still use them for special stuff. I'll be looking at some of the other outfits mentioned above. I appreciate the other sources folks mentioned.
So if I’m in GA free shipping according to this map? Still shady what they did to you. You do those dinos yet?

Porter Road Dinos were okay. Great flavor, but more fat and the meat was tougher than a similar product from Snake River Farms. They took about an hour longer to be probe tender. Not my best cook, but it still got devoured.

IMG_0166.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back