Pellet noob from Oklahoma

oks10

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys. I'm one of the apparently many guys that ordered/received a Recteq for Father's Day this year. :D I placed my order Monday (RT-700 and cover) and it's currently at the Estes ATL hub, due to be here Tuesday. I've been a sole charcoal griller for last 15 years, going through 2 Weber kettles that I got for free. This is the first grill I've ever bought for myself and it's also my first pellet grill. Really looking forward to the versatility of this thing. I'm keeping the Weber though because I don't think I could 100% give up on lump coal cooking. Anyways, looking forward to reading everyone's experiences and recipes. I've never smoked anything before aside from a turkey that I did a 4hr "smoke" on in my Weber so this is all new to me. My dad smoked a lot with a stick burner when I was a kid so the smell of hickory smoke triggers scent memories and I hope to do the same for MY kids.

Hey guys. I'm one of the apparently many guys that ordered/received a Recteq for Father's Day this year. :D I placed my order Monday (RT-700 and cover) and it's currently at the Estes ATL hub, due to be here Tuesday. I've been a sole charcoal griller for last 15 years, going through 2 Weber kettles that I got for free. This is the first grill I've ever bought for myself and it's also my first pellet grill. Really looking forward to the versatility of this thing. I'm keeping the Weber though because I don't think I could 100% give up on lump coal cooking. Anyways, looking forward to reading everyone's experiences and recipes. I've never smoked anything before aside from a turkey that I did a 4hr "smoke" on in my Weber so this is all new to me. My dad smoked a lot with a stick burner when I was a kid so the smell of hickory smoke triggers scent memories and I hope to do the same for MY kids.
Welcome and enjoy your new grill.

Welcome aboard, you'll get a good amount of smoke scent just don't be surprised if the flavor isn't as strong as you remember from stick burners.

Welcome aboard, you'll get a good amount of smoke scent just don't be surprised if the flavor isn't as strong as you remember from stick burners.
With how young I was, I remember the smell more than I do the taste fortunately. I've also realized that my dad overcooked a lot of stuff when I was growing up so it's probably best I don't remember the taste. lol

Welcome & good choice.. just don't let the secret out that the Bull does all the work. Then my wife might add to my "to do" list if she only knew. Enjoy & post pics!

You will love it but it is way more than just a smoker! Because you have such control of the temperature, we cook everything in it that we would cook in a indoor oven. That way we don't heat up the house in the summer, plus it tastes way better.

You will love it but it is way more than just a smoker! Because you have such control of the temperature, we cook everything in it that we would cook in a indoor oven. That way we don't heat up the house in the summer, plus it tastes way better.
A coworker recommended making smoked queso to me yesterday and that's when it clicked for me that it's more than just grilling and smoking. I bought this thing not even thinking about the "outdoor oven" functionality of it. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this.

Congrats and welcome!

These things are amazing, and a lot of fun to experiment with.

That being said, I still give my Weber Kettle a good workout most weekends along with my Reqtec. Some things just belong in the Kettle.

Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome!

These things are amazing, and a lot of fun to experiment with.

That being said, I still give my Weber Kettle a good workout most weekends along with my Reqtec. Some things just belong in the Kettle.

Enjoy!
I've got a Weber Performer right now I got for free that someone was throwing out because the gas ignitor didn't work... Who the heck needs a gas ignitor to start charcoal??? My only concern keeping it is having two grills with big footprints because I don't have THAT big of a porch and can't afford to add-on right now. I might have to "downgrade" to a regular kettle just to save space. I know some will say "Get the Bullseye!!!" but I don't want to completely ditch lump coal cooking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back