Bull On my Way/Its a new adventure!

Bowne1

Well, I started a new adventure today.

History

I grew up in Texas and lived lived there most of my life. About 4 Years ago, I was recruited to run a small Veteran company in Ma. I have a wonderful bride and a nice covered outdoor kitchen that I can cook in “almost” year around (well,January, February and March are somewhat a challenge). I have been a Big Green Egg guy for years and have cooked in Temps as low as 8 degrees.

Last summer I started reviewing pellet grills and have read just about all I can find on the net. To be clear, I do not know anyone up here that owns a pellet grill. (Pellet stove-Yes) but not a pellet grill. I have discussed this with my staff at work and they all have decided to take this adventure with me. After looking at all of the grills that are offered, I have decided to go with Rec Tec!!!

I have a ton of Money invested in Big Green Eggs (3) and all of the gear. I love them and now my staff has a few as well. I am telling you this because I am raising money via family gift cards lol. I have asked all of my family members in Texas to get me a Rec Tec gift cards for Christmas LOL. Kinda like “fund me Rec Tec Christmas “. Tonight the first $100 rolled in. I will keep you up to date on my progress. Just a fun thing really, as I will order after Christmas. If I get a lot of cards, the “Bull” it is. If I fall short, we will see. Hopefully, My staff will follow and we can keep cooking together. Sorry for the long story, all in fun and Merry Christmas. D

Creative. Just an idea here. If the "funding" program falls a bit short you might consider the Stampede as your starter. It has the same control mechanisms, and is only a bit smaller, about a 6" wide strip of grill real estate. Sounds like you're an "all in" kind of outdoor cooker (3 eggs would be a hint), so once you get your legs with the Stampede you can then mount your next campaign to add a Bull...………..it would follow form.:LOL:

That is a perfect idea. However, I am not sure how many Briskets I could get on a Stampede. Currently I can have 2 eggs going and cook 3. If I could get 2 on the Stampede, that just might be the ticket!

I added a RT-700 with the optional shelf to my Kamado Joe grilling experience. I catch a lot of flack from my BGE buddies for not getting the BGE, but my KJ works just as good or better haha. The problem now is that the KJ very rarely ever gets used anymore. I've tried the KJ out twice since the RT-700 arrived, but haven't in many months since the last time.

I would stick with your goal of owning a RT-700 (The Bull). Once you get it dialed in with those 100% mesquite Lumberjack pellets or the other 100% wood pellets they offer, you will see what I mean about not wanting to use those BGEs anymore. There is so much more flavor with the meats, rubs and sauces with the clean burning smoke from a pellet grill. Don't worry about not having enough smoke flavor because it's there for sure, but it does take some getting use to because there is no bitterness to the smoke flavor like from a lump charcoal grill.

I have not forgotten how to use my KJ, but the thought of chasing the flame on it for briskets, whole chickens and butts, etc. just doesn't sound appealing after using the RT-700. Just hit on, dial the desired temp, setup the phone alarms and grab a cold one. Not much more to do using it. I really like this RT-700 a lot more than the KJ for everyday and overnight cooks.

I was wondering about that. I use my BGE’s every week and sometimes several times a week. My question for you guys is; “how well will it work in cold weather”?. Have any had a problem?

The controller holds the temp quite well. If you are cooking a lot in cold weather, I would recommend getting some fire brick and lining the bottom of your grill with it. You can get it at HD or Lowe’s. I had to do this when I lived in snow county. It works well. Some use an insulated blanket, but I found that the fire brick gives the grill some mass that holds the heat and keeps the temperature even. I keep it in all year as it also makes the grill heavier and more solid feeling.

Burq57, many Thanks for that. I think your fire brick idea is great. Well another Christmas has past and what a great time with Family. So the official card and money count will almost purchase a Stampede. Now the question is; do I purchase the 590 or wait and save a few bucks and get the Bull? I got more cash then cards. On another note, I now have all three of my brother-in-laws waiting to see what I am going to do. I got all of them into Big Green Eggs years ago and we have cooked together several times and traded videos as we have all traveled around. So purchasing one Rec Tec Grill, might easily turn into 4 Rec Tec Grills!, Lol. Merry Christmas my new friends. B

I'm not going to get into a dissing contest just to justify my choice, I wouldn't have any problem with a Bull except I didn't want to give up the real estate on my patio, so did the Stampede given the relative minor difference in grill area and cube. I too have a KJ and have used it for several years with a BBQ Guru/Pit Viper. It's close to a minimal attention deal (as long as you know how to load enough fuel for a longer cook) , but not near what the control system on the RT is.

As for multiple briskets it depends on how you prep. By the time I do my trim up most packers I use max out at 18" long. The depth of the Stampede is approx. 19.5. At that I think I can load 3 packers on the Stampede (but haven't done that yet), though it might be tight without some side trimming. Add the accessory shelf and another can be loaded in with some effort. Couldn't do that on the KJ.

If the extra 6" of grill length would give you comfort go for the Bull, you can't lose.

Well, I started a new adventure today.

History

I grew up in Texas and lived lived there most of my life. About 4 Years ago, I was recruited to run a small Veteran company in Ma. I have a wonderful bride and a nice covered outdoor kitchen that I can cook in “almost” year around (well,January, February and March are somewhat a challenge). I have been a Big Green Egg guy for years and have cooked in Temps as low as 8 degrees.

Last summer I started reviewing pellet grills and have read just about all I can find on the net. To be clear, I do not know anyone up here that owns a pellet grill. (Pellet stove-Yes) but not a pellet grill. I have discussed this with my staff at work and they all have decided to take this adventure with me. After looking at all of the grills that are offered, I have decided to go with Rec Tec!!!

I have a ton of Money invested in Big Green Eggs (3) and all of the gear. I love them and now my staff has a few as well. I am telling you this because I am raising money via family gift cards lol. I have asked all of my family members in Texas to get me a Rec Tec gift cards for Christmas LOL. Kinda like “fund me Rec Tec Christmas “. Tonight the first $100 rolled in. I will keep you up to date on my progress. Just a fun thing really, as I will order after Christmas. If I get a lot of cards, the “Bull” it is. If I fall short, we will see. Hopefully, My staff will follow and we can keep cooking together. Sorry for the long story, all in fun and Merry Christmas. D
You wont be disappointed with the bull it is a awsome grill every thing ive cooked on it turns out amazing try some of the rectec seasoning they are the bomb

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigfishri
Back