New Here, New Rt 590

Uechikid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Our new RT 590 was delivered yesterday. I seasoned it after I got it together. This evening we cook a couple pork loin chops and some brats. Cooked them at 230 so we could get that smoky goodness I’m use to with my gas smoker. I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed. Neither the pork chops or the brats had much smoke flavor. I hope I didn’t just spend $900 on a smoker that doesn’t provide smoke flavor.

what pellets did you use. Blends usually will not have a much flavor as 100% hickory. lumberjack is my go to for great smoke flavor. Be aware the marketing ploy off 100% HARDWOOD. Mostly ader

I think the folks who want more smoke flavor use an additional smoke tube. I have no issue with the smoke on long cooks but do find it a good deal lighter then my Charcoal bullet had. Might just be that pellets don't smoke as much as other methods.

I used apple pellets. When I smoke this weekend I'm going to use my A-maze-n pellet maze. I usually only use it when I cold smoke but I'll give it a try with the 590.

It might be helpful, at least for me, to know how you get smoke flavor in a gas smoker? That would be a starting point for comparison.

It might be helpful, at least for me, to know how you get smoke flavor in a gas smoker? That would be a starting point for comparison.
The gas smoker has a burner at the very bottom. Just above that is a fire pot where you put wood chips or chunks. I used chunks. The burner is a direct flame on the fire pot and causes the chunks to smoke.

Thanks Greg. I'm really not looking to spend more money on this grill. I think the three open vents in the back are part of the problem. The slightest breeze sucks all the smoke right out. This should have come with the all weather vents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back