New Here from Indiana

bterrell128

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Name is Brandon, and I just ordered the RT-700 on Saturday. I ordered the folding front shelf, griddle, sear kit, and grate brush to go with it. I plan on eventually getting the smoke box, and the cover to go along with it. It will be kept in the garage so I figure the cover can wait a little bit so I don't buy both the one for the smoke box and the one without. I will be coming over from a Masterbuilt electric smoker so I am looking forward to the new options available to me with this grill.

In doing research I am thinking about picking up some lumber jack pellets. I will probably get a variety of them to try different things. I am a big fan of apple wood with pork. Any other pellet brands I should be looking at? Any other accessories or tips and tricks that I should be planning for before putting it together?

Welcome from SC! Can't go wrong with LJ

Welcome. I moved from a masterbuilt electric to my Bull about a year ago. It has been a fantastic upgrade. The LJ pellets are great.
Good move!

Name is Brandon, and I just ordered the RT-700 on Saturday. I ordered the folding front shelf, griddle, sear kit, and grate brush to go with it. I plan on eventually getting the smoke box, and the cover to go along with it. It will be kept in the garage so I figure the cover can wait a little bit so I don't buy both the one for the smoke box and the one without. I will be coming over from a Masterbuilt electric smoker so I am looking forward to the new options available to me with this grill.

In doing research I am thinking about picking up some lumber jack pellets. I will probably get a variety of them to try different things. I am a big fan of apple wood with pork. Any other pellet brands I should be looking at? Any other accessories or tips and tricks that I should be planning for before putting it together?
Welcome aboard. I also started with a Masterbuilt (which I still own but don't use since the RT-700 arrived).

Lumberjack pellets are great, their Comp Blend is my all-purpose choice currently. Bear Mountain are also good, along with Kingsford. Other folks here like PitBoss (40# bags of their Comp Blend can be found cheap at Lowes).

You're in the hardest part right now: waiting for it to arrive. Enjoy refreshing the tracking website!

Welcome, enjoy the Bull, I can't stop using mine. You will be totally satisfied with the choice.

Welcome aboard. I also started with a Masterbuilt (which I still own but don't use since the RT-700 arrived).

Lumberjack pellets are great, their Comp Blend is my all-purpose choice currently. Bear Mountain are also good, along with Kingsford. Other folks here like PitBoss (40# bags of their Comp Blend can be found cheap at Lowes).

You're in the hardest part right now: waiting for it to arrive. Enjoy refreshing the tracking website!
Yeah the waiting is always the hard part. Going to take some time to clean the garage up and rearrange some things so that I have it set up the way that I want when it finally comes.

Just get a friend to help with assembly, forget the beer, & afterwards have a 9 YO Knob Creek Bourbon ....or 2. Kingford Hickory is good for pork or poultry & Traeger Mesquite pellets are good for beef. Welcome! Lots of good advice here.

EA8772A3-0A28-4F93-8C3E-476A328DC26F.jpeg

Since everyone can use a little humor. I called they promised that it would be here before 6pm, but I thought the 10pm to 2am time frame was hilarious.

Mine has been sitting at the terminal for two days and still waiting on the call. I am almost as interested in getting the call so I can go back to not answering calls from numbers I don't know as I am getting my RT-700.

You must have gotten one of the last Sear Kits. I put my order in on Friday when I saw they were back in stock and noticed they were gone again on Sat. Though I am not sure how much I will use the Sear Kit. I have a Blackstone that I am keeping that I use for searing most of the time now. We had a KitchenAid grill with sear station that I sold to fund my Competition Cart for the Bull and I found I never used it. It will come down to if I like burgers on the RT with Sear Kit better than the Blackstone.

I also have a Masterbuilt smoker that is getting retired once I am up an running with the RT. I should put that up on Craigslist as well to get rid of it.

Another thing I picked up is a smoke tube. This is kind of personal preference but I have read complaints that some people don't get enough smoke from a pellet grill compared to a vertical smoker that they were used to. Once thing to help is to add a smoke tube. They are cheap on Amazon so I figured I would just start with one.

I was really debating on the smoke box. I passed on one for now. I have never done cold smoking and from what I have been reading people are able to do it in the main part of the RT-700 by using the smoke tube and putting the RT in diagnostic mode to run just the fan. Some have mentioned using it to keep steaks warm while heating up the Sear Kit. Since I have the Blackstone I might just use that or others have mentioned they use the heat up time to just do a rest of the meat which isn't a bad idea either.

In the end I was on the fence between the 590 and 700. I went 700 so I could still add the smoke box if I wanted to at a later point kind of what you are saying. I don't know that I will add it.

Yeah the sear kit went back out of stock right after I ordered mine. I am keeping the masterbuilt for now. I will probably put my sides that I make in it. I was looking at black stones today I will probably pick one up sometime later this year after I get everything I want for this.

We started with the 17" single burner Blackstone for camping but upgraded to the 36" 4 burner last summer. I have been using the heck out if it. I converted it so we can hook it up to the LP port on the camper and no deal with bringing the tank. I just use the tank at the house.

20200702_183838 (1).jpg

The Blackstone lives in the garage when not camping. I am debating on the RT700. It will probably go out behind the garage on the patio but part of me thinks maybe in the garage next to the BS.

Now if I could just get a call for setting an appt for delivery I would be happy as could be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back