Trailblazer Is it just me?

Scampwalker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hi everybody, I'm a new forum member and I've had a Trailblazer for a few months. Prior to that, I had a Weber propane grill and an old Brinkmann smoker. Both pretty much gave up the ghost, and after a lot of research, I bought a Rec Tec.

Naturally, I want to like it. But after a few months, I am frustrated by a few things. Namely:

-- I just tried the 3-2-1 recipe on three racks of baby backs, and after the 2-hour foil, they were mushy, overcooked, and not very smoky. Really disappointing. Is this normal?

-- I usually do the reverse sear method on steaks, where I put it on super smoke for 30-45 minutes, then crank it up to MAX for the sear. It takes at least 30 minutes to get to temp, and it usually catches whatever drippings on fire and it smokes like Hades. I try to replace the foil on the drip pan every 3-4 uses. Is this normal?

-- Generally, it takes at least 30 minutes to get up to 400 degrees to grill much of anything. Am I just an impatient propane guy? Seems like a monumental waste of pellets. Is this normal?

I want to like my Rec Tec, I really do. But a lot of times I feel like I'm cooking with a really cool, manly, EZ-bake oven.

3-2-1 can definitely produce mushy fall off the bone ribs. Read up around here and many of the guys are doing 2-2-1 for more “competition“ style ribs. You don’t say what your cooking temperature is but I assume you’re in the 225* range. Weber Virtual Bullet forum has a good article on making ribs. You should definitely check it out.

I’ve done some reverse sears and it does take some time to get up to 450-500 but that usually allowed me time to pull the other stuff together. I’ve never had a fire and change the aluminum foil when it doesn’t pass the eye test. I’m going to do a good bit of cooking this weekend so I’ll probably replace the foil on Saturday morning before I get started.

Just made smash burgers tonight and it took about 25 minutes or so to get up to temperature but again, I was shucking corn and getting other stuff ready. Not sure its a monumental waste of pellets and have no idea of the cost comparison of heating up a propane grill vs a pellet grill but it’s something I kind of assumed when I went all in on the pellet grill.

I couldn’t be happier with the results so far. Still haven’t done an overnight cook but that’s one of the reasons I went to a pellet grill and put the old propane grill at the curb.

There are people on this forum with way more experience than me. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of great responses and there’s a wealth on knowledge and information that’s only a search away. Keep the faith and you’ll do great.

Try searing first then smoke

3-2-1 is a guideline. Not a rule. 6hrs for ribs, depending upon the temperature, might be too long.

Finally, skip the foil and use butcher paper instead. Foil traps in all moisture and your ribs will become mushy because they are essentially inside of a tightly wrapped crock pot when yo wrap them in foil.

Two hours in tightly wrapped foil, would turn the toughest cut of meat into mush.

Hi everybody, I'm a new forum member and I've had a Trailblazer for a few months. Prior to that, I had a Weber propane grill and an old Brinkmann smoker. Both pretty much gave up the ghost, and after a lot of research, I bought a Rec Tec.

Naturally, I want to like it. But after a few months, I am frustrated by a few things. Namely:

-- I just tried the 3-2-1 recipe on three racks of baby backs, and after the 2-hour foil, they were mushy, overcooked, and not very smoky. Really disappointing. Is this normal?

-- I usually do the reverse sear method on steaks, where I put it on super smoke for 30-45 minutes, then crank it up to MAX for the sear. It takes at least 30 minutes to get to temp, and it usually catches whatever drippings on fire and it smokes like Hades. I try to replace the foil on the drip pan every 3-4 uses. Is this normal?

-- Generally, it takes at least 30 minutes to get up to 400 degrees to grill much of anything. Am I just an impatient propane guy? Seems like a monumental waste of pellets. Is this normal?

I want to like my Rec Tec, I really do. But a lot of times I feel like I'm cooking with a really cool, manly, EZ-bake oven.
I hear you! There is definitely something easier about the pellet grills with full technology, like the Rec Tec's. Not sure how different than a stick burner. You are still putting in the wood and not cooking over direct flame, just heat and smoke. So its kind of a control issue. I've been a stick burner guy for 30 years and still use my stick burner (Pitmaker Vault) frequently and there's is something cool about the doing it yourself. The end product is very similar. It's like the old fashioned non-motorized lawn mowner, the ones you push with the blades that spin. When the gas mower came along it was like "cheating", i guess. You didn't get the "feel" of the grass. Also, I could never sear anything on my Vault. I do have a BGE, that I used to sear on. Now i use the Bull.

As far as the ribs go, fully agree. I'm not a fan of fall of the bone ribs. I like a bite to them . Often I don't wrap just spray and mop. Comes out great with good smoke flavor. I start for 1-2 hrs on 180, lots of smoke. ??

Attachments

• 7794A430-6538-439C-95C4-AFAF8175452E.jpeg
    7794A430-6538-439C-95C4-AFAF8175452E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 76
Thanks, everybody. I guess it's just a matter of feel. I appreciate the advice and comments and I'll keep the faith.

Part of the fun is to experiment until you find a way you like. I do not wrap my ribs at all anymore. Usually on the pit at 225 for 5-6 hours depending on the rib. They come out with the bite we like, and still very moist. Have fun with your pit trying new and different ways to cook.

I do the first hour at 180 for more smoke, then 225. I wrap for two hours. I unwrap then sauce and cook till ribs get to 190.

I found the 180 helps a little with firmness. I have no idea what they are supposed to be like but there are never any left.

f 321... I go with 12me...I cook em how I like em.
Peeps should learn how to cook not learn how to follow directions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back