Induction fry and sauté pans?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
She who cooks indoors (SWCI) has her eye on a new induction range but our current set of fry and sauté pans are not induction compatible. We do have a set of high-quality regular pots and pans that are induction compatible (from our motorhome days).

Any recommendations for a top-quality set of induction-compatible fry and sauté pans? I’m of the mindset that you should just “buy once, cry once.”

I’ve cooked on a single induction burner and then a Breville Control Freak for years. Last fall I bought an induction range (Samsung-love it!) .I’ve found that everything is induction-compatible other than aluminum or copper. Aluminum-clad in stainless is fine, which is how most quality stainless comes (multiple SS layers around an aluminum core). The only ‘gotcha’ is that some cookware will ‘sing’ while some cookware without a flat bottom can become a ‘spinner’. For SS cookware my go-to brands are Viking 5-ply for skillets and Le Creuset for 3-ply pots. I cook more in quality carbon steel or cast iron, and I’ve had zero problems with any of the above.

Not sure of the make and model of your induction range but I have found the 5 ply All Clad products and de Buyer are worth the tears. I have also used some left over pans from my Hestan grill and they worked fine except the internal temperature sensing circuits were a little wonky. Brands you want to stay away from include the Le Creuset, Revere Ware copper clad and anything with PFASs or Teflon coatings. Studies show they can leave some nasty trace elements that shouldn’t be consumed. YMMV

Brands you want to stay away from include the Le Creuset…
Just curious, why this recommendation to avoid? I’ve found my Le Creuset cookware, stainless and enameled cast iron, to be stellar. Also priced accordingly.(Tramontina is a great value and if I were buying all new today, I’d give Made In a serious look.

Just curious, why this recommendation to avoid? I’ve found my Le Creuset cookware, stainless and enameled cast iron, to be stellar. Also priced accordingly.(Tramontina is a great value and if I were buying all new today, I’d give Made In a serious look.

I’m wondering as well; we love our Le Creuset cookware.

I’ve been looking at Made In and it is under consideration.

As an avid fan of Le Creuset’s products I offer the following caution. Do not speed heat (i.e., go from cold or ambient to any temperature above medium) without preconditioning the cookware/device. I had a high energy professional induction range and after about a year of use, I noticed my enameled CI was developing micro cracks to the exterior enameled surfaces. Further, for my bakeware, the same concerns were present even at lower heat ranges. I’m not saying don’t use it but if you are looking into durable cookware, just know there may be risk.

Full Disclosure: I have over 20 pieces of Le Creuset with age ranges from 80 years to 20 years, then some newer replacement pieces. Based on their web site, it is safe for use on all cooking surfaces (see quote below):

Yes, all our cookware (except our stoneware range which should not be used on the hob top) is suitable for use on an induction hob. Just remember to keep to a low to medium heat, for durability and delicious results!”

Their statement of uising it on “low to medium heat” is the potential the reason for my post. The first issue is what is the definition of low to medium. The second is who sears or fries anything on medium or low heat? The reason I have high heat on my range is to use it, haha.

I am hopeful they changed their manufacturing processes to accommodate the newer cooking surfaces. But true to their business ethics, each piece with a problem has been replaced, without challenge, but I hate losing a heritage piece to have it replaced by the latest and greatest version. I like the provenance of my classic cookware as it all has a story behind it. One additional caution, lift don’t slide. It can scratch your pristine surface and nobody likes to look at a scratched cooking surface, but that warning is not exclusive to Le Creuset.

I don’t have confirmed info on this, but I expect the precaution with temps on an induction hob is how quickly they come up to heat. My Samsung is insanely fast, heating up a skillet to a medium-low temp (setting 3/9 or 4/9) in less than 60 seconds. My Control Freak even has an Intensity Setting of Low/Med/High which changes how quickly it comes to temp to avoid overheating certain pans.

Last edited:
I don’t have confirmed info on this, but I expect the precaution with temps on an induction hob is how quickly they come up to heat. My Samsung is insanely fast, heating up a skillet to a medium-low temp (setting 3/9 or 4/9) in less than 60 seconds. My Control Freak even has an Intensity Setting of Low/Med/High which changes how quickly it comes to temp to avoid overheating certain pans.
Ok so this is a topic I am into because I am looking at induction as well. I think @Greg Jones just spoke in tongues or martianeese. I am learning the language and wonder if the ranges have both a heat and a variable ramp rate to temp? All of my cookware less one will be fine. I don’t use aluminum, plenty of reasons why not, but my brother is one.

Edit: Brother was one.

Edit 2: sorry didn’t mean to crash the thread.

Last edited:
Wife's induction stove arrived and I found my cast iron skillets work just fine. Very much like gas stove....heat on heat off. Induction seems to heat my cast iron faster than gas stove.

Never had a problem with CI on induction. Enameled CI has been scary but it works as long as you don’t overtemp it too quickly or go over about medium (~450F, max). On my gasser or sear burner I try not to go over 600F versus my CI that I take to ~800F with caution.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back