Hello from Southern Illinois

Brickhouse

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey there everyone. New member here out of Southern Illinois. I'm not new to the smokin' game, but certainly new to RecTec. I am moving on from my Traeger Jr. Elite and ordered my RT-700 Bull yesterday.

I'm just a casual at home smoker, but still love to improve my game. My big hobbies are cigars and bourbon, which go just fine with sitting outside getting some meat on the grill.

Anyway, I plan to read more post less as I get the feel for things around here. Thanks for having me. Happy smoking to you all.

Welcome Brickhouse. You will love your Bull. I know it may sound weird, but I have produced quite a few batches of smoked bourbon on my RT. As soon as I smoke a bottle it is gone. Buddies love to come over for smoked bourbon on the rocks or a smoked bourbon Manhattan or two.

Welcome Brickhouse. You will love your Bull. I know it may sound weird, but I have produced quite a few batches of smoked bourbon on my RT. As soon as I smoke a bottle it is gone. Buddies love to come over for smoked bourbon on the rocks or a smoked bourbon Manhattan or two.
cookinlnl, what kind do you smoke? How do you smoke it. You've got me interested. Give me instructions.

@Brickhouse thanks for joining and welcome to Rec Tec Forum!

What is your bourbon of choice?

If I was forced to choose a Top 5 that can be readily had....meaning ruling out super premiums and rares I guess as of today it would look like this:

1: Weller 107
2: Blanton's
3: E.H. Taylor Rye
4: Angels Envy Rye
5: Smooth Ambler Big Level

I realize there's two rye's in there, rather than bourbon. But I think you get the point.

Hey Navy. I have tried a few bourbons, but now mostly use Buffalo Trace. Seems to have the right sweetness to balance the smokiness.

I start by putting the bourbon in the refrigerator over night to get it really cold. Reason being, trying to keep the liquid temp as low as possible starting smoke process to minimize evaporation of alcohol and liquid during the smoking process.

Pour the bottle of bourbon into a half roasting tin and place in the pit set at 180 or as low as you can get.....the lower the better to minimize evaporation. I use "Extreme Smoke" on the 680. Save the bottle. Next time, I am thinking about trying to place the half tin of bourbon in another half tin full of ice to slow down bourbon temps rising even more. Even with that said, lose very little when starting with very cold bourbon.

Smoke for :45 mins to 1 hour at the lowest temp you can get.

Pull from the pit and funnel back into the bottle. You can taste it when it cools. I prefer to keep the bottle sealed for at least a day. Seems to have a smokier taste when sitting a day or two. I am thinking that is because tasting the day you smoke it, your senses are still a little numb to the smoke.

I find the hint of smoke in the bourbon is really good, and makes a good drink "neat", "rocks" or a killer Manhattan. Enjoy. Let me know if you try it and how it came out.

Used old school maraschino cherry in this one rather than the dark cherry.

Attachments

• Manhattan.JPG
    Manhattan.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 61
Hey made another bottle of smoked bourbon for a boys football day next week. Navy/Brickhous, did either of you ever try to smoke bourbon. Just interested in your process and how it came out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back