Good Experience with Lumber Jack Mesquite Pellets

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I like a very smoky flavor, and one reason it took me so long to buy a pellet grill was my concern that it was not as smoky as a stick burner or even a charcoal smoker with wood flavor chunks. I got my Bull a couple of weeks ago, and I did a couple of short smokes using Rec Tec Competition blend. I was disappointed with the results, and the accolades my family usually accords my barbecue were not forthcoming. To be fair the two smokes were at a high temperature that I understand does not produce as much smoke.

I had previously used mesquite chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain and liked the results. I read here about Lumber Jack pellets and found some at a motorcycle shop of all places. So this weekend I cleared out the Rec Tecs and filled the hopper with Lumber Jack Mesquite Blend. I put on an 8 pound brisket on at 225 with the Lumber Jacks and used a smoke tube as well just to be sure. I was surprised at the amount of smoke coming from the chimney and was somewhat concerned that I was oversmoking. Maybe the smoke tube was overdoing it, but the heavy smoke persisted throughout the cook beyond expiration of the smoke tube,

Twelve hours later the brisket reached 198F and fork tender. I rested it a bit and sliced it up. It had a great bark and smoke ring. The accolades missing from earlier cooks returned. Everyone loved it, even my friend who is a fanatical stick burner devotee.

So I think I have found the pellets that match my tastes. And I can please my wife by reducing my grill and smoker clutter.

Thanks for the review... I been a devoted Egg head for years (big green egg). I loved the flavor you get from a kamado grill. I’m a couple weeks in with my 700 and am loving it. I think the pellets I am using was a 40 lb bag of bear mountain hickory. Done a 20 hour pork butts, 6 hour ribs, 4.5 hour jerky, coup,e hour turkey tenderloins, chicken for several hours. I still have plenty of pellets lol. I’m getting plenty of smoke flavor in the 225 range. I still have my eggs, but I think they will be used for high heat cooks and sears from now on lol.

Mlmurrah,
I also came from a stickburner and a couple komados. I learned that I (and people I served my bbq to) liked mesquite on beef. I've always been conscientious about too much smoke with mesquite and I've found its much easier to control with the pellet smoker.

I started using LJ mesquite in my Bull when I got it in December. I buy LJ mesquite 100% rather than the blend, But I blend with other pellets in buckets just before a smoke. Typically, I run about 2/3rds straight mesquite and add other wood types for desired effect. Adding a portion of apple and/or cherry seems to mellow the bitterness mesquite can have. But on tritip, where the smoke time is limited due to just cooking to steak like internal temperature, straight mesquite is my preference.

Mlmurrah,
I also came from a stickburner and a couple komados. I learned that I (and people I served my bbq to) liked mesquite on beef. I've always been conscientious about too much smoke with mesquite and I've found its much easier to control with the pellet smoker.

I started using LJ mesquite in my Bull when I got it in December. I buy LJ mesquite 100% rather than the blend, But I blend with other pellets in buckets just before a smoke. Typically, I run about 2/3rds straight mesquite and add other wood types for desired effect. Adding a portion of apple and/or cherry seems to mellow the bitterness mesquite can have. But on tritip, where the smoke time is limited due to just cooking to steak like internal temperature, straight mesquite is my preference.

I do not see 100% mesquite on their web site. Where did you find it?

Last edited:
I too love mesquite. Have not tried yet, but will this next weekend with Lumberjack mesquite in the tube, and mesquite chunks in the Heavy D. And, in time, but today is not that day, local Arizona mesquite wood in the Heavy D.

I like a very smoky flavor, and one reason it took me so long to buy a pellet grill was my concern that it was not as smoky as a stick burner or even a charcoal smoker with wood flavor chunks. I got my Bull a couple of weeks ago, and I did a couple of short smokes using Rec Tec Competition blend. I was disappointed with the results, and the accolades my family usually accords my barbecue were not forthcoming. To be fair the two smokes were at a high temperature that I understand does not produce as much smoke.

I had previously used mesquite chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain and liked the results. I read here about Lumber Jack pellets and found some at a motorcycle shop of all places. So this weekend I cleared out the Rec Tecs and filled the hopper with Lumber Jack Mesquite Blend. I put on an 8 pound brisket on at 225 with the Lumber Jacks and used a smoke tube as well just to be sure. I was surprised at the amount of smoke coming from the chimney and was somewhat concerned that I was oversmoking. Maybe the smoke tube was overdoing it, but the heavy smoke persisted throughout the cook beyond expiration of the smoke tube,

Twelve hours later the brisket reached 198F and fork tender. I rested it a bit and sliced it up. It had a great bark and smoke ring. The accolades missing from earlier cooks returned. Everyone loved it, even my friend who is a fanatical stick burner devotee.

So I think I have found the pellets that match my tastes. And I can please my wife by reducing my grill and smoker clutter.
Motorcycle shop in Conroe? That’s where I get mine too.
They used to carry the 40 lb. bags for $20.00. It seems they only carry 20 lb. bags now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back