Fridge thaw limits

flippingeo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Ok. Took 4 prime NY strips out of the freezer and into the fridge on Monday night with the thought being I’d cook em up for dinner Tuesday. Tested positive for the VID Tues AM and opted not to cook. Couldn’t taste/smell so I didn’t want to waste the olfactory experience. They were still pretty frozen Tuesday night… but then i got a bit more ill and just punted on it. Now I have 4 fully thawed steaks, but now I’m concerned they might not be good anymore. My plan was to cook them tomorrow night. Thoughts?

I’d usually rely on a smell test, but I can barely smell. Pretty sure my wife has been suffering through my stench for the last 3 days. God bless her.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I keep reading 3-5 days so I suspected they’d be good. They are from wild fork and they were vacuum sealed and flash frozen so I feel better about that.

Now if I can just taste them.

Yep, you're good to go. Check out Youtube for vids of guys wrapping steaks in cheesecloth and dry aging them in the fridge for at least a week. Then, there's "real" dry aging where it's done for a month.

Haha I love sharing. Truth be told, I only needed 2, but I’m trying to sell my coworker on getting a Recteq so i was going to cook him and his fiancé a steak to try to determine if he liked the pellet smoke flavor. He’s a gasser now, but has been contemplating a pellet cooker. I’m pushing him towards the bullseye since he mostly grills, but is looking to get into lo/slo.

He would be my 3 convert.

If only we got a kickback for the folks we bring into the fold. Been reading some horror stories since the big money came along. Get well and enjoy some good steaks. I’m on a mission for ribeyes as family has decided to come to my house tomorrow for a pool day🤦🏻. Used to be BreakOutAnotherThousand weekends but with fuel prices folks have decided I can host whenever they want me too.

Welcome and I hope you get better. We had the plague after Easter. It was easy on me, harder on the wifey. She did lose her sense of smell for a bit. But we are all good now.

I have discovered that it usually takes 2 days for the meat from my freezer to thaw, could be my freezer and refrig, but I allow 2 days to thaw. Plans do change and I have kept thawed steaks for anywhere from 3-5 days. Chicken, I try to cook within a couple of days of thawing. Seafood does thaw quicker and I dont let stay in that long.
Unfortunately your best tool is your nose, so maybe have someone else check it for you!

Thanks everyone! For the tips and we’ll wishes. This definitely helped, and I could taste them enough to know they were stellar. I have my coworker coming by tomorrow to pick up two of them I vac sealed for him. He’ll be getting a bullseye for sure.
777769D8-5541-4F8B-9F20-DA446367E37F.jpeg

If only we got a kickback for the folks we bring into the fold. Been reading some horror stories since the big money came along. Get well and enjoy some good steaks. I’m on a mission for ribeyes as family has decided to come to my house tomorrow for a pool day🤦🏻. Used to be BreakOutAnotherThousand weekends but with fuel prices folks have decided I can host whenever they want me too.
Publix has Delmonicos and T-Bones on sale this week -- At least in Evans, GA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back