Bullseye First Cook...What & Why

dertitan2

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Bullseye is on its way, I would love to get an idea of what should be my first cook? I will eat anything...LOL

I know a lot of folks mention chicken thighs, but I went to a pork butt as it was low maintenance and a relatively long cook. It was also my first overnight cook ever....at least the first I slept through most of it.

Funny, pork butt was what was in my mind when I made this post, great thing is it is kind of hard to mess up a pork but

What did you use to control dripping/grease build up?

What did you use to control dripping/grease build up?
You will want a drip pan to catch the fat from a pork butt. I don’t know what your experience is with outdoor cooking, but my suggestion for a new Bullseye owner is to treat it like a Weber charcoal or gasser grill. Cook some burgers, brats, hot dogs, bacon in a cast iron skillet, etc. first to get a feel for it. Then move up to the low and slow cooks once you get a feel for it. You will make mistakes and learn as you go-I burned brats on my Bullseye last night and I’ve owned one for over two years now!

You will want a drip pan to catch the fat from a pork butt. I don’t know what your experience is with outdoor cooking, but my suggestion for a new Bullseye owner is to treat it like a Weber charcoal or gasser grill. Cook some burgers, brats, hot dogs, bacon in a cast iron skillet, etc. first to get a feel for it. Then move up to the low and slow cooks once you get a feel for it. You will make mistakes and learn as you go-I burned brats on my Bullseye last night and I’ve owned one for over two years now!
Hey, BTW, on the subject of Brats......

You guys may already know this and I'm embarrassed to admit that throughout my entire life, I didn't.

I've always had problems with Brats with tough casings. I don't know much about casings, so I thought that the tough ones were the plastic ones. Had the BIL/SIL here about three weeks ago. He's an ex-butcher and a longtime griller/smoker. I was complaining to him about the casings being tough, even after 2 + hours on the Bull.

He looks at me kind of funny and says "just boil them to a low boil before you put them on the grill, dummy".

Durrrrr. Works like a champ. :rolleyes:;)

Sorry for the de-rail.

Hey, BTW, on the subject of Brats......

You guys may already know this and I'm embarrassed to admit that throughout my entire life, I didn't.

I've always had problems with Brats with tough casings. I don't know much about casings, so I thought that the tough ones were the plastic ones. Had the BIL/SIL here about three weeks ago. He's an ex-butcher and a longtime griller/smoker. I was complaining to him about the casings being tough, even after 2 + hours on the Bull.

He looks at me kind of funny and says "just boil them to a low boil before you put them on the grill, dummy".

Durrrrr. Works like a champ. :rolleyes:;)

Sorry for the de-rail.
I kinda like the SNAP.
Sometimes when the casing is soft, the meat comes out and the casing stays behind and oh my is that an ugly thing to see dangling from the bun. :oops:

I took a sausage making class a while ago - Owner/Instructor told me to do 20 minutes in the oven at 350, then take them to the grill just to add color and grill marks. I did that until I got my recteq "oven" with large griddle. Now they smoke/bake/fry at the same time along with tons of onions drizzled with oil. It's actually about 2 hours this way - carmelized onions, and a smoke ring in the sausage. Still juicy, and a nice snap in the casing.

I kinda like the SNAP.
Sometimes when the casing is soft, the meat comes out and the casing stays behind and oh my is that an ugly thing to see dangling from the bun. :oops:

I took a sausage making class a while ago - Owner/Instructor told me to do 20 minutes in the oven at 350, then take them to the grill just to add color and grill marks. I did that until I got my recteq "oven" with large griddle. Now they smoke/bake/fry at the same time along with tons of onions drizzled with oil. It's actually about 2 hours this way - carmelized onions, and a smoke ring in the sausage. Still juicy, and a nice snap in the casing.
Oh, I'm OK with a "little" snap. What I'm not OK with is having to cut the damned thing with a sharp/serrated knife, chew it and then spit the casing out because it's so tough.

Your "Owner/Instructor's" recipe sounds like something I think I'll give a try.......:)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back