Easter ham question

Meatman2369

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey y’all, I’ve been using the included thermometer for the first few meals on the 590. I’m doing my Easter ham on Sunday morning doing the hey grill hey recipe, and my question is would u trust the included thermometer or buy something better ? I’m cooking for a bunch of people and I don’t want to let anyone down. Thanks !!

Hey y’all, I’ve been using the included thermometer for the first few meals on the 590. I’m doing my Easter ham on Sunday morning doing the hey grill hey recipe, and my question is would u trust the included thermometer or buy something better ? I’m cooking for a bunch of people and I don’t want to let anyone down. Thanks !!
I don’t know what the HGH recipe is, but my suggestion is to cook what you know how to cook, and then experiment, if needed, what your 2024 Easter ham might look like. In any event, it’s a little late to be ordering a new probe for this Easter morning.

Last edited:
@Greg Jones offers good advice; at this point, stick with what you are familiar with.

That said, I think it is ALWAYS a good idea to have back-up tools like thermometers and probes. There are a number of good alternative meat thermometers, ranging from hand-held instant-read units to wifi-connected, multi-probe setups. Having a way to verify and/or double-check the OEM probes and thermometers can save the day on occasion. Good luck with your Easter cook.

I would set it 10* lower than desired - use it as a warning, not a final set point. Then use a reliable thermometer to manually check. I think there is a variability across the grills where it's fine for some and not for others. Also, I wouldn't trust the app to alert me in time to pull it off if I had it set to the exact temp I wanted. It tends to be worse on holidays. Easter may be one of those days.

Not 10 lower - 10* lower.
° is a PITA for most of us, so we just use the * as a substitute.

So say 145° is your target temp. I'm suggesting 135° as your setting for the probe.
Thanks will do !! Ordering the probes on prime tonight.

And, remember that the internal temperature will continue to rise about 8-10F while it rests. So pulling at 135F as @SmokeOCD suggests will get you to about 145F after the rest period.

I think resting is a critical step that some folks overlook. Rest for at least 20 minutes and up to 3-4 hours if things cook faster than you anticipate. Resting allows the juices to redistribute and the temperature to equalize throughout the meat.

And, remember that the internal temperature will continue to rise about 8-10F while it rests. So pulling at 135F as @SmokeOCD suggests will get you to about 145F after the rest period.

I think resting is a critical step that some folks overlook. Rest for at least 20 minutes and up to 3-4 hours if things cook faster than you anticipate. Resting allows the juices to redistribute and the temperature to equalize throughout the meat.
Well it came out great, the whole family loved it !

DF41ACF7-234B-4C64-91B7-AA472F036F40.jpeg

RT thermometers are adjustable, so you can use any accurate oven thermometer, and make adjustments to the probes if needed. I have found them to be accurate and requiring little if any adjustment. How to is in the manual, and also on YouTube as I recall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back