Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I recently saw a recipe for buckboard bacon posted by Jess Pryles and I thought I would give it a try. I had a boneless pork butt from Costco and half a pork loin, so I cured both for 14 days and smoked them yesterday. I had hickory pellets in the hopper and smoke tube of my RT-700, set the temp to LO, and put the pork on at 10 am. Now Jess says in the recipe that she sets her smoker to 180* and then pulls the butt at IT of 160*, smoke time of 2-3 hours. Well, I suspected that cook time was way low so I planned on 5-6 hours for the butt and just assumed the loin would be done about an hour sooner.

The loin ran about 10* hotter than the butt for the entire cook, and after 9 hours the loin was 159* and the butt was 150*, so I called it quits at that. I wrapped them in cling wrap and put them on a wire rack in the refrigerator overnight. I sliced them this morning and they look amazing. i fried up slices of both, starting first with the butt. As to taste, it tasted a lot like a smoked city ham. The level of smoke was the most I have ever experienced on a pellet grill, actually a bit too much for my taste. I had expected that the loin would be similar to Canadian bacon, but it was not. It still tasted like loin, but the cure and the smoke made for a very nice flavor.

Would I make either one again? For the pork butt, I originally said probably not, but after letting the slices rest for a day, they taste much better. The harsh, overly smoked taste was gone. I’ll probably do the loin again, curing and smoking it at the same time I’m smoking bacon.
1A325634-23FA-4E75-9F25-A85608FDBDFF.jpeg
B399C5E7-B093-4611-A6AB-87B505582704.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great,how did you cure ?
Jess has the formula in her article that I linked in the first post. The only thing I do differently is only use half as much sugar and I use Turbinado instead of white sugar. Put it in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 14 days, turning it over every day. Works great for pork belly bacon also, although I cure it for 7 days instead of 14.

As an update, I cooked two slices of the Buckboard bacon as part of lunch today, and my wife and I both agreed it tasted much better than it did when I first sliced it yesterday. The harsh smoke flavor was now very mild, and we both enjoyed it a lot. The rest of the batch is sealed up and in the freezer, and if it all is as good as what we had today, I’ll definitely make it again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back