your last steak

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
If you only could eat one last steak. how would you prep and cook it. For me it would be a simple salt peper garlic rubbed lightly and reverse seared. but i dont have any experience with charcoal and i know the tornament guys dont do reverse seared. so how would you make it.

If you only could eat one last steak. how would you prep and cook it. For me it would be a simple salt peper garlic rubbed lightly and reverse seared. but i dont have any experience with charcoal and i know the tornament guys dont do reverse seared. so how would you make it.
If this is the last supper, I'll ask Giada to cook it for me 😁
images.jpg

Didn't BF get released on waivers from Food Network?

Ok, back to the steak. I want a SRF prime NY, 1 1/2" thick, John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub put on heavily, placed on a rack in the fridge for 24 hrs, then front seared over mesquite charcoal very near the meat, then closed up in a komado with mesquite wood smoke at 400F until internal of 95F is reached, cover on a plate with foil and 2 dishtowels for 20 minutes rest, then served with Brussels sprouts broiled with EVOO, bacon, salt, pepper, feta crumbles, and balsamic reduction, along with a baked potato with Kerrygold butter, chives, salt, pepper, cheddar, and a glass of the finest Napa Cab or a Sonoma Coast or Willamette vly Pinot Noir.

Last edited:
I'm lazy. I'd just go for the Wagyu NY Strip I had at Flemings a few years ago. It was ridiculously good, great flavor and just melted in your mouth. Probably was pan seared with a lot of butter if I had to guess

One last steak? I'd order a side of beef and have them cook it low and slow seasoned with only salt, pepper and served with a little herb butter. 🐮

I use Worcestershire and garlic salt on my steaks. I smoke them on low for 45 minutes, then turn up my 590 to 325 and cook them until the IT reaches 135-140. I've had no complaints!

The steaks I have made on the recteq have been the best I have ever had doing the reverse sear. You don’t get that same crust you get using lump charcoal but it’s pretty close. So really any thick ribeye reverse sear on the recteq would do me fine.

A nice thick Prime RibEye
SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Beef Ribeye Steak400R=120-125MR=130135M=140-145 MW=150-155 W=160-165On Sear Kit

Bull cranked-up to "HI", to heat the Sear Kit
Lower Temp to 400 and cook / smoke the Steaks directly on the Sear Grates
Flip half way through
Mine's seasoned with Hand Ground; Sea Salt, Pepper, (dehydrated) Onion and (dehydrated) Garlic, cooked to the 150s
Momma likes Her's season Her way, cooked to 130ish:
Labor Day Rib Eye.jpeg

Espresso Rub.... Thick cut Bone in Prime Ribeye.... Slow and Low on Rec Tec at 225 for about 90 minutes (until about 110)... let sit for about 15-20 mins. Oak Pellets...

THen i put it on my egg which is fired up at 700 degrees with cast iron grates.... Put it on for about 90 second... rotate... 90 seconds.. flip.... 90 seconds then rotate... 90 seconds.... and hope for flame ups..

Let sit for about 15 minutes with a small dollop of garlic butter....... NO SHARING!

Here's one I did today. Dry brine overnight. Super hot charcoal fire, mesquite wood for smoke, closed up the komado to get more smoke on it even during the sear. Pulled it off around 100F and let it rest under foil on a plate for 10 mins. The smoke definitely comes thru strong.

steak 2 day.jpeg

I’m no expert. But I’d have to have a steak cut from a quality hunk of beef that has been dry aged 40 days. One of a number of cuts would be fine if that were the case. Salt and pepper, no lipstick necessary. I will have my 590’s new igniter soon thanks to Coco at RT. Love it. But if it’s my last steak my preference would be over a bed of lump charcoal. Raised and lowered and buttered as needed, pull at 123f and allowed to rest so I enjoy a perfect rare treat. For the last time. NOOO!

1.5” ribeye dry brined overnight. My Webber kettle sits right next to my 590. I sear the steaks at a billion degrees over lump charcoal on the Webber, the put them into the 590 on low until done (130). Pat of butter on top. Yes, it’s a waste of charcoal, but I’ll sacrifice it for a good crust on the steaks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back