Your favorite thing to cook on the RecTeq and recipe?

spartanhuntr

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So... it is the Sunday before Thanksgiving and I had the realization that I have an absolute favorite thing to cook and eat on my RecTeq. We all cook many things. Most are marvelous, amazing or just good. We all have an occasional dud... or some things that just don't turn out for us. But, I realized there is a single thing for me i like cooking (and eating) more than anything.

My realization was based on a Covid Tgiving. We normally host at our house. We have my parents, in-laws, siblings, etc. plus my own family (6 of us). So, i started to augment traditional tgiving stuff with other foods for variety, a wide audience, more volume, etc. I was buying and presenting venison summer sausage/cheese, shrimp cocktail, etc. But for the dinner itself i started making.... Prime Rib... I admit that i LOVE tgiving turkey but i looked forward to essentially an all you can eat amazing prime rib every tgiving and xmas. I was buying big ones! Huge ones for the big group coming over. 15 lbs+ Prime Ribs.

The beauty of it was that we wouldn't eat all of it and we are hunters and tgiving tradition is after dinner, coffee, etc. many of us head up to my hunting cabin for a couple days for deer hunting. We would take the extra prime rib and baguettes and the horseradish sauce for AMAZING sandwiches. (don't forget the turkey sandwiches too).

My realization that this is my favorite thing to cook and eat was this year when a decision was made that, because of Covid, we weren't going to have a big group (6 of the folks in mid-late 70s). We decided it was just too risky. My kids are 8-17 and even with school out are all over all of the time. Say what you want about this pandemic (actually please don't on this forum) but i couldn't live with myself if i hosted and we got someone sick. So, it was canceled. No Prime Rib for me.

Yesterday i went to the Italian Market for fresh fruit/veggies. Our go to place for that stuff happens to be one of the two places i buy meat (Costo being the other). And when i walked by the meat counter... my addiction hit me... I placed an order for a 3 bone.. Prime Rib Roast. I just love it!!!! And even if just the smaller group and we will have far too much food... I had to get one! Ha.

After some thought i realized this is my FAVORITE thing to make (and eat) from the ReqTeq….. What is yours? And do tell the recipe, instructions, etc... As maybe we can create a string here where some of us change our favorites, add to our favorites or just sit on our computers and salivate over some of the cooks... (pics always a good addition).

My Prime Rib - Chef Greg Recipe Honestly (from his video):

Prime - Bone in Rib Roast... size varies.. but i generally like at least a 5 bone..

Herb Paste:
Grainy thick mustard.. amount based on size of roast but call it 2-3 tablespoons
Prepared Horseradish sauce - equal to mustard
Garlic tube paste
Garlic two cloves minced (or jar pre-minced fine - teaspoon)
Fresh chopped oregano
Fresh chopped sage
Fresh chopped parsley
All of this combined in to thick paste and rubs thick on the Prime Rib

After this is on roast i use a thick coat of Heffer Dust...

I cook at 275 at about 40-45 mins per pound until i reach about 115 degrees. HICKORY PELLETS.

Pull and let rest about 10 mins before the final step.. on cookie sheet...foil tented...

During cook i get my Weber Kettle cooking... Charcoal start (just a little bit for warm coals). When i pull the Roast i throw chunks of hickory on to the kettle with the lid off and let it reach flames...

Place the Roast on the Flames to blacken it a bit... Four sides... Really only about 90 seconds to 2 mins (feels like an eternity watching your meat "burn" but it isn't really) then twist/turn... All four sides....

I pull it and wrap it in Foil and throw in a cooler until dinner...

My experience is this method results in the ends being medium (some might even argue medium well).. The middle is a perfect medium rare. Now before people scream at me for ruining the ends... my family consists of a wife and three daughters who are all convinced juice is blood and blood is gross... so this is cooked to make my customers happy. :) We end up with about 25% of the roast over cooked in my mind... with 75% being perfect!

I slice it for presentation and buy a house made Garlic Herb butter that i slice and place on the top after cutting... By the time we serve it is dripping over the meat...

Happy to share other things on it like the Horseradish dip i make...etc...

What is your favorite thing to cook/eat (or the favorite thing your family wants)? Recipe? Pics?

Last edited:
EDIT: I need to read better - I haven't had my Bull long enough to have a favorite Thanksgiving meal, plus my wife's turkey and stuffing is flawless. Instead, I submit my favorite dessert for your consideration - but it's made on a stovetop and in a regular oven. :)

My Thanksgiving contribution is usually desserts but I do have a pretty rock solid, perfect every time, mashed potato recipe.

I'm going to give you my favorite Pecan Pie recipe. I started making it with Jack but since have switched to Bulleit Bourbon.

Milk Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
1 (9 inch) pie shell
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Bulleit bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces milk chocolate chips (or more)
1 cup whole pecans (or more)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter or margarine melts and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly.

In a large bowl combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Slowly pour sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Sprinkle milk chocolate evenly into the bottom of the pie shell and evenly layer the pecans on top. Pour mixture into pie shell.

Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until set and golden.

I hope you all have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
We like it simple, nothing fancy so far
Full fillet Salmon, drowned in Butter .... 250 for 1.5 - 2.0 hours
Whole Chicken, covered in Avocado Oil, sprinkled with Salt, Garlic and Pepper Grinder
250 for 3.5 - 4.0 hours
Costco Boneless Pork Chops with Salt, Garlic Pepper Grinder and Oregano .... 250 for 1.5 - 2.0
Costco Small Beef Roasts covered in Salt, Garlic Pepper Grinder and Thyme .... 240 at 2.5 - 3.0
OH .... and the RecTec Onion Bombs, are the BOMB !

Last edited:
St. Louis Spareribs, kosher salt, medium ground pepper. (easy on both, esp. salt). No binder nec. but ok. 1070 set to 275*, and on for 3 hrs naked, and then foiled with apple juice and tiger sauce. (no rubs, sugar or other). Then back on at 225* until limber. Usually about 1/2-3/4 hrs. Leave wrapped for 10 minutes or in warmer oven until dinner. Save juices and pour over ribs when sliced. We find them more tasty than using rubs, and also much more smoke flavor is absorbed. Yes, I mean they were more tasty! Try it.

After several years it’d be ribs ST L or BB’s. I keep going back to Hey Grill Hey‘s sweet rub at 225 till done, spritzed a couple times before being wrapped in butcher paper with honey, br sugar, and butter at about 160 till about 190. Unwrapped and glazed on the meat side with Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy for the last 30 minutes or so. We like them just before being fall off the bone. 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 hrs. Prefer Chairman’s Choice when I can get it, fallback is Tyson. No Costco or Walmart ribs.

No Costco or Walmart ribs.
I’m a no Walmart for anything, food or otherwise, unless I have no choice. I told my wife yesterday that I wanted to stop on our way home at my local grocery to pick up a rack of ribs. She suggested Costco, as she wanted something from there. I said we can stop at Costco, but I still want to stop at my local grocery for the ribs. When it comes to pork, I’m fine with the pork belly at Costco. But I’ll never buy ribs or pork butt there again, unless there is no other option. I’d actually never buy pork belly there again either if I had some readily accessible options.

I’m a no Walmart for anything, food or otherwise, unless I have no choice. I told my wife yesterday that I wanted to stop on our way home at my local grocery to pick up a rack of ribs. She suggested Costco, as she wanted something from there. I said we can stop at Costco, but I still want to stop at my local grocery for the ribs. When it comes to pork, I’m fine with the pork belly at Costco. But I’ll never buy ribs or pork butt there again, unless there is no other option. I’d actually never buy pork belly there again either if I had some readily accessible options.
I have been buying Costco St. louis pork ribs for years and have never had any bad or smelly ribs. Everyone enjoys eating them!

I have been buying Costco St. louis pork ribs for years and have never had any bad or smelly ribs. Everyone enjoys eating them!
Are they the " Swift " brand at your Costco?

Are they the " Swift " brand at your Costco?
For the most part, yes. Another thing I dislike about my local Costco is that they sell the ribs in 3-packs, so that you never see how sad the middle rack of ribs looks. I’m cheap to a fault, but when I’m cooking BBQ for family and friends, I only want the best ingredients to start with… So that they help offset my limitations!

Last edited:
For the most part, yes. Another thing I dislike about my local Costco is that they sell the ribs in 3-packs, so that you never see how sad the middle rack of ribs looks. I’m cheap to a fault, but when I’m cooking BBQ for family and friends, I only want the best ingredients to start with… So that they help offset my limitations!
Not a Swift fan, either.

Not a Swift fan, either.
I may have mentioned this before, so forgive me if I did. I used to work for Swift, as a manager of one of their retail agriculture fertilizer operations. The fertilizer business for Swift came to be as part of their meat packing business in Chicago, to ‘sell everything but the squeal.‘ There was a book written about the meat packing process, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and I don’t recommend reading it if you are sensitive to how horrible the meat processing business used to be. I know firsthand that meat processing today can be done humanly, but not all operations do that.

New ownership for Swift, many times over now, but there are some things you cannot forget.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back