Yeah, but.....

We'reSmokin'Now

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Am I the only one who is never 100% satisfied with their results?

I've had my 590 for a little over a year and have turned out some amazingly good food, but always feel like I could have done just little better. Perfectionist or OCD? I don't know...
Season 5 Idk GIF by Friends

I've had my 590 for a little over a year and have turned out some amazingly good food, but always feel like I could have done just little better. Perfectionist or OCD? I don't know...
That's normal for me. But I'm not normal, sorry.

I don't know man.

I've always thought I did a great steak, but after getting my RT-700 Bull and doing reverse sear I feel like I have a great hold on it.

So much that I don't order steaks when we go out no matter where it's at anymore. I much more prefer mine. :D

Only thing I've made I was 100% on was the pork butts from Costco. Cooked those bad boys overnight on 180 degrees. They were amazing.

Ribs I always blame the ones I pick. Kroger ones are so-so compared to Costco is my latest discovery. However, Costco is currently inflating prices so I keep buying the Krogers and trying to do my best.

I have 3 Costco racks in my 590 right now.

I'm not always happy with they way they are trimmed, but after "cleaning them up", they usually turn out pretty damn good. We'll see. But I agree about Costco's prices.

I'm also doing a bacon-weaved beef rump roast on the kettle (ran our of room in the Stampede). We'll see how that turns out. It sure is a lot of work maintaining temps compared to the RT.

Only thing I've made I was 100% on was the pork butts from Costco. Cooked those bad boys overnight on 180 degrees. They were amazing.

Ribs I always blame the ones I pick. Kroger ones are so-so compared to Costco is my latest discovery. However, Costco is currently inflating prices so I keep buying the Krogers and trying to do my best.
I agree about Costco meat prices, went to pick up a brisket flat (Choice) yesterday, it was $9.99 a pound! Needless to say I did not get one.

I’ve had a few cooks that I couldn’t think of what I would do to improve it. Most cooks I’m thinking how it could have been better from the first bite. My wife laughs at me. Friends and family love what comes off the Rec Teq and I always like it but see ways I could improve most every cook.

No matter how well a cook comes out something can always be improved on it. When you stop trying to improve your craft you've started settling. Now settling isn't necessarily bad if you're happy with the results you're getting.

I feel the same way however, in my opinion the holy grail flavor of smoking food comes from stick burners. I don't have the time or patience to learn to cook that way. I will stick with my 590 as I prefer it's flavor profile over charcoal.
Injecting prior to smoking with a quality liquid smoke will give more of the flavor you get with a stick burner.

I'll be honest.....other than using a pellet grill, I'm a traditionalist when it come to cooking, but have zero issues pairing other countries recipes with BBQ.

I like Texas style BBQ for Brisket (Salt and Pepper smoked over Oak), Memphis dry ribs (no sauce) etc.

Having grown up in S. Texas, we always used Mesquite for grilling, not smoking, so I'm always surprised that people smoke briskets with it. 😳

Other folks like to experiment and that's great too, and I guess I kind of do that. I like to use a lot of Greek, Brazilian, and Argentine recipes and you might be surprised how well many of them pair with smoked meat.

It is called the "Art of Cooking/Smoking" for a reason... You can always "DO it Better" and OH Yes that is in other areas also....part of the fun of life....

It is called the "Art of Cooking/Smoking" for a reason... You can always "DO it Better" and OH Yes that is in other areas also....part of the fun of life....
Can't go wrong with cooking and smoking :ROFLMAO:

I used to worry a lot about my cook's no matter how good everyone told me they were. It was hard at first but I finally quit worrying so much and I enjoy it a lot more now.
It's not that I worry/stress, I just think there is always room for improvement.

Amen, brother!

Can you recommend a brand?
I grew up using Colgin, but that was mostly due to it being the only thing available locally. I recently switched to Lazy Kettle as I wanted one that wasn't loaded with additives and have been very happy with the smell and taste of their hickory. I'll probably experiment with others that don't have additives in them, but Lazy Kettle has definitely replaced Colgin as my baseline.

I just cook it and eat it. Haven’t ruined very much and haven’t produced a lot of barbecue contest winners. All in all though, pretty good. I pretty much cook for myself as my wife eats like a bird on a diet. And she doesn’t like smoky, so she strips off the bark. I am probably more concerned about keeping my 590 clean then I am about what it produces.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back