Xtreme Smoke Brisket?

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm planning on cooking my 9lb Brisket flat low and slow, starting tonight. Planning on smoking at 200° so I can have it tomorrow for dinner. Has anyone bothered to start the cook off on Xtreme smoke for a handful of hours for deeper smoke penetration?

Opinions and suggestions all welcome. Happy 4th everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_105731.jpg
    IMG_20210704_105731.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 232
The flat is the leaner part of the brisket. You are already going be cooking it for a long time. Not sure how much more smoke you'll be able to get on it in the 6-9 hours it will likely take.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't do low and slow on this one - it has a tendency to dry out thinner and leaner cuts of meat. Maybe start at 225 (more smoke) for 30 min and then bump it up to 250 for another 30 and then do the rest of the cook at 275.

I'm planning on cooking my 9lb Brisket flat low and slow, starting tonight. Planning on smoking at 200° so I can have it tomorrow for dinner. Has anyone bothered to start the cook off on Xtreme smoke for a handful of hours for deeper smoke penetration?

Beer, plenty of beer 🍺

The flat is the leaner part of the brisket. You are already going be cooking it for a long time. Not sure how much more smoke you'll be able to get on it in the 6-9 hours it will likely take.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't do low and slow on this one - it has a tendency to dry out thinner and leaner cuts of meat. Maybe start at 225 (more smoke) for 30 min and then bump it up to 250 for another 30 and then do the rest of the cook at 275.
Thanks for the reply.

If I were to cook at the 250-275, we're probably talking about a 9 hour cook total correct? Sorry, just trying to plan around the dinner time.

Yeah, give or take, but always go by temp.

You can always target it to be done a couple of hours before you serve, then FTC the brisket. It will hold for hours on end until ready to serve. Get it on target to finish at 3 or 4.

FTC - wrap in Foil. wrap in a Towel. place in a Cooler.

Eat at 6pm. Obviously, adjust accordingly to whatever time you eat dinner. Better it be done before and hold it, then have a late dinner.

Yeah, give or take, but always go by temp.

You can always target it to be done a couple of hours before you serve, then FTC the brisket. It will hold for hours on end until ready to serve. Get it on target to finish at 3 or 4.

FTC - wrap in Foil. wrap in a Towel. place in a Cooler.

Eat at 6pm. Obviously, adjust accordingly to whatever time you eat dinner. Better it be done before and hold it, then have a late dinner.
Appreciate the help. That is again!

I put a hand full of pellets on top of the deflector sometimes, but, it doesn't last as long as you would like especially for a longer cook. The smoke tube Traveler mentioned is a better option.

This is probably too late, but I do all my briskets on extreme smoke and start them the night before. Wrap them and crank the temp up when I get up in the morning, anywhere from 225 to 275 depending on when I want to eat. Typically let them rest anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and they've all turned out great.

This is probably too late, but I do all my briskets on extreme smoke and start them the night before. Wrap them and crank the temp up when I get up in the morning, anywhere from 225 to 275 depending on when I want to eat. Typically let them rest anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and they've all turned out great.
Appreciate that. I ended up putting the brisket on at 5am @ 225° and smoked until bark was nice and set, which was right around 165° internal. Wrapped and put temp up to 275° to finish. Came out pretty good! Appreciate all the insight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_174344.jpg
    IMG_20210705_174344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210705_174350.jpg
    IMG_20210705_174350.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
Wonderfully deep smoke ring. I’ve been experimenting with extreme smoke but have only done for 3 hours. Going to try your method next time. I assume you’re wrapping at the stall and pulling when the instant read feels like it would if it was butter. Can you provide estimated times per pound for each phase?

Keep your temp consistent and use a smoke tube. Wrap at the stall with peach paper.

Wonderfully deep smoke ring. I’ve been experimenting with extreme smoke but have only done for 3 hours. Going to try your method next time. I assume you’re wrapping at the stall and pulling when the instant read feels like it would if it was butter. Can you provide estimated times per pound for each phase?

I always figure on about 1 to 1.3 hours per pound of brisket cooking at 250F. But each one will differ, sometimes hours different, depending on the moisture, fat, and connective tissue. Some chart I saw showed 1.5 hours per pound at 250F. I think I've seen around the 1.5 hr/lb when cooking at 225F.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back