WTF Just Happened?!

grillmeister

I just cleaned out my grill, cleaned out the burn pit and replaced with a very small amount of pellets. Turned it to 225 and it started smoking heavily 10 minutes in and the frickin thing just exploded popping the lid open. What the heck just happened???

10 pellets will overload and cause combustion?? Jeez better to leave it empty after cleaning then.

yes.. only put pellets in when the auger is lacking. Smoke is combustible and too much causes explosions. Like backdraft when it gets to ignition point.

My RT-700 just did that about mid-way through a cook. Sounded like a frigging bomb going off! I am much less comfortable leaving it unattended now. The fact that someone could be hurt from this is very alarming.

My RT-700 just did that about mid-way through a cook. Sounded like a frigging bomb going off! I am much less comfortable leaving it unattended now. The fact that someone could be hurt from this is very alarming.

What temps were you cooking at both on the Bull and outside? Starting to wonder if the outdoor temps are playing a role.

Generally this will be caused by too much fuel, pellets and not enough air flow for proper combustion and is mainly due to a dirty fire pot restricting the air flow from the fan or a slow running fan. You should never see this type of heavy whitish smoke coming from these pellet grills if so somethings wrong. The only smoke you should see is a thin blueish smoke coming from a pellet grill.

What temps were you cooking at both on the Bull and outside? Starting to wonder if the outdoor temps are playing a role.
I just had this conversation with RT without a response. BTW it's around 28 degrees outside.

I just had this conversation with RT without a response. BTW it's around 28 degrees outside.

My thoughts possibly the cooler temps preventing ignition with smoke building and then poof when it finally gets there after adding too many pellets. Just my thoughts.

I ran almost all day yesterday in low to mid 20's with no issue on the Bull on smoke/low. Only turned it up to 225 the last 2 hours. So just not sure why some might have issues and others not. I had not cleaned my pit since I had it but did today.

My thoughts possibly the cooler temps preventing ignition with smoke building and then poof when it finally gets there after adding too many pellets. Just my thoughts.

I ran almost all day yesterday in low to mid 20's with no issue on the Bull on smoke/low. Only turned it up to 225 the last 2 hours. So just not sure why some might have issues and others not. I had not cleaned my pit since I had it but did today.
@sdynak I agree with your "poof" theory but it's not safe.

I suspect that there's a problem with the Bullseye as others have mentioned. My situation pretty much mirrors what others have said about the wild temperature swings. I personally think it was worse then was described by others. I have the "Bull" controller on "Frankenstein" and know what should be expected from RT. I didn't go with another controller and chose RT based on their stellar reputation.

I have been in the temperature control industry for about 3 decades and familiar with PID controllers, I deal with them everyday. I don't claim to know everything and typically learn everyday in this industry. But this isn't a good situation by any means.

I contacted RT and spoke with "Bobby" who was very nice and polite. Bobby had me pretty much return all the parameters to default including the temp offset and auger minimum feed rate. Bobby stated that the minimum feed rate would affect all cooks 250 and below??? Bobby wants me to try another cook but I don't think I'm up to this and may sell the Bullseye.

I will cross post this on my original post.

And you hear these people bragging on how they start up their grill from work, scary thought if it's on your deck or close to your house and if there's a malfuntion with no one around, how safe it that? Peronally, I never start it up without being able to keep an eye on it. From what I've read, these rare explosions typically happen during startup. Stay safe...

And you hear these people bragging on how they start up their grill from work, scary thought if it's on your deck or close to your house and if there's a malfuntion with no one around, how safe it that? Peronally, I never start it up without being able to keep an eye on it. From what I've read, these rare explosions typically happen during startup. Stay safe...
I would also add the importance of unplugging the grill when not in use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back