WTF Just Happened?!

Mine just did the same thing. I just got my 590 and this was my 3rd cook. My temp was set at 225 but after the boom it went to 380 so I opened the lid to cool it down and the fire pot was burning like a mad man. I shut it down let it cool cleaned fire pot started it back up and everything seems fine now. One chunk of something that looked like melted plastic in the fire pot don't know what that was. I've only burned about 10 to 12 lbs. of pellets so far.

Mine just did the same thing. I just got my 590 and this was my 3rd cook. My temp was set at 225 but after the boom it went to 380 so I opened the lid to cool it down and the fire pot was burning like a mad man. I shut it down let it cool cleaned fire pot started it back up and everything seems fine now. One chunk of something that looked like melted plastic in the fire pot don't know what that was. I've only burned about 10 to 12 lbs. of pellets so far.
The melted plastic looking thing in the fire pot is a pellet clinker, very common.

Seriously, don't stress. If there is indeed a problem RT will make it right...No worries.

Mine just exploded twice last night. Glad I wasn't standing in front of it when it happened.

The sad thing about this phenomenon is that people in the videos and currently still think putting a grills and smokers and other devices next to their houses. I just don’t get it. Would you leave any source of fire unattended close to your house? My neighbor did. Here are the results. He could have burned down several houses in our community.

IMG_3843.jpeg

I cant believe this stuff is still going on myself....I don't mean that as an insult, but the info and reasons have been out there for years now. Js

The OP is from nearly 3 years ago. Good advice to keep a safe space, but perhaps those posting for the first time and having a 680 as the grill owned in their profile is a fake account? Don’t feed the spam accounts.

My 590 burped like that starting up Thanksgiving morning. Cold, damp air. Really heavy smoke, heavier than usual, and no breeze so it really hung there around the smoker. I was wondering what my neighbors would be thinking and then poof! Not so much violent but it did pop the lid a bit, very surprising.

It’s a pellet grill thing. Go out to any social media and search on “pellet grill lid pop” and you’ll see Tr@&ger, P$t Bo$$ and others. That’s why many on the forum start their grills with the lid open. If the gasses don’t collect under the hood they don’t explode when the flame finally lights. I’ve only had it happen once and I always start with the lid closed but if I see too much smoke building up I open the lid.

I just cleaned out my grill, cleaned out the burn pit and replaced with a very small amount of pellets. Turned it to 225 and it started smoking heavily 10 minutes in and the frickin thing just exploded popping the lid open. What the heck just happened???
Start with the lid open, it will smoke until the flame ignites. Once the smoke stops you may close the lid.
What happened to you was the chamber was filled with flammable gases and once the flame ignited, boom.
(something I learned on this forum).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back