Wrapped ribs temperature

Fishstix

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Question when you wrap the ribs after having had them on for 2-3 hours. The temp after I wrap the ribs always shoot up around 20 degrees almost immediately on ribs when I stick the probe back in. Do y’all pro’s stick the probe back in or do you go off of time once you wrap ribs

Question when you wrap the ribs after having had them on for 2-3 hours. The temp after I wrap the ribs always shoot up around 20 degrees almost immediately on ribs when I stick the probe back in. Do y’all pro’s stick the probe back in or do you go off of time once you wrap ribs
I don't wrap ribs using the 3 2 1 method, did it once and didn't like the results. I let them cook at 225 for 3 to 4 hours and then finish them at 295 to 300 with sauce for the last 1/2 hour or so, they have a nice bite and pull but not fall off the bone doing it this way.

Last edited:
Well two avoid the wrapped/unwrapped debate. How about a pork shoulder? I’ve never done one but does the same thing happen. Do you prob a shoulder after wrapping it after it hits the stall?

Well two avoid the wrapped/unwrapped debate. How about a pork shoulder? I’ve never done one but does the same thing happen. Do you prob a shoulder after wrapping it after it hits the stall?
I don't wrap my pork shoulders or butts while smoking either until they're cooked then wrapped and then placed in a cooler to keep them warm. This is one of my favorite cooking methods. https://heygrillhey.com/simple-smoked-pulled-pork/

Last edited:
To answer the OPs question about temp and not wrapping

With ribs you shouldn't rely on the temp probe 100% unless your using a needle probe. The bone will give you a false reading, a much higher temp. And by what your saying that's sounds exactly what's happening.

Theres not enough meat between bones and probe like if your doing briskets, butts, etc.

I use the bend test when it comes to ribs. I use the needle probe to get me in a ballpark and then once there, the bend comes in to let me know if it's truly done or not. Hope this helps

I've never seen the temp jump up in just the time it takes to wrap. I do however see it drop. I would suspect the probe is not in the exact same spot in your case.

To answer the OPs question about temp and not wrapping

With ribs you shouldn't rely on the temp probe 100% unless your using a needle probe. The bone will give you a false reading, a much higher temp. And by what your saying that's sounds exactly what's happening.

Theres not enough meat between bones and probe like if your doing briskets, butts, etc.

I use the bend test when it comes to ribs. I use the needle probe to get me in a ballpark and then once there, the bend comes in to let me know if it's truly done or not. Hope this helps
The bend test is the best way to tell when your ribs are done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back