BFG Would you buy a BFG again?

Crubos

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
Greetings,

I'm thinking about getting a BFG. I have owned a few 700's for app. 5 years.

I want to give my 700's to my kids and for convenience i want to get the BFG.

Your thoughts?

Thank you

I’ve never owned one, but I did get the chance to play with one at recteq Academy. It’s a very nice grill-if you are happy with your RT-700s, I can’t imagine you would be disappointed with a BFG. Personally, if I needed this capacity I would have a hard time deciding if two RT-1250s at $3,400 total isn’t a better choice than one RT-2500 at $3,000. It all depends on what your needs are with respect to capacity, but I find the ability to run two grills at different temps when needed to be a game changer in how I grill.

I’ve never owned one, but I did get the chance to play with one at recteq Academy. It’s a very nice grill-if you are happy with your RT-700s, I can’t imagine you would be disappointed with a BFG. Personally, if I needed this capacity I would have a hard time deciding if two RT-1250s at $3,400 total isn’t a better choice than one RT-2500 at $3,000. It all depends on what your needs are with respect to capacity, but I find the ability to run two grills at different temps when needed to be a game changer in how I grill.
Thanks Greg for your reply.

I already have 2-700s with shelves. There is just not enough head room in them when I'm cooking allot of meat. I have to rotate the meat so it doesn't burn.

The 2500 gives me the space plus I can cook more protein than I can right now because of what I have described.

Thanks again for your reply.

Smoke On🙂

A friend of mine is considering the BFG. He asked if the current BFG has the cast iron deflector and dual band WiFi that's in the 1250. I didn't see anything explicit on the RecTeq site. Does anyone know offhand?

A friend of mine is considering the BFG. He asked if the current BFG has the cast iron deflector and dual band WiFi that's in the 1250. I didn't see anything explicit on the RecTeq site. Does anyone know offhand?

If I had to guess I'd say no mention of dual band means it is not.. There is a mention of the deflector as stainless:

"Quality inside and out. The RT-2500 features a 304 stainless steel firepot, heat deflector, and steel drip pan. Not only do you get a flawless, even cook every time, but it's also easy to clean."

The deflector is stainless, I’m not sure about the Wi-Fi

Greetings,

Your thoughts?

Thank you
I have owned my 2500 for a year now. Here are some honest observations. 1. It is a quality built product top to bottom. That being said I was shocked at the relative lack of smoke. I was an old stick burner used to a fair amt of smoke. You wont get that with this unit. Most every one adds addition smoke generating devices, wood chunks or extra pellet tubes.
So to answer the question would I buy again. Probably not

Absolutely love my BFG. At first I thought it would not produce any smoke at all after doing my seasoning cook and then some burgers. But on first long cook it produce plenty of smoke for my preference at least, added some pellets to deflector but for first 3 hours of the rib cook smoke consistently out of both stacks! It's a great piece of equipment with great versatility!

Yes, and No. Hear me out. In our house my wife and I are retired, and a grill of this size is better suited to larger jobs that a couple steaks or a rack of ribs, and the volume of fuel we use to generate the smoke is about as financially responsible as my purchase. We love the grill, so when all three of our kids are here, or my special brothers from my time in the service drop by for a shoot drink and drop, it is well more than up to the task.
While my wife has long since captured the flag and declared the BFG her's, she quite frequently will pull the cover on our 3 burner Weber Grill for smaller jobs.
If size matters (as I'm told), then size needs to factor into your decision. If you're keeping up with the Jones, you'll still be well ahead of them with a smaller Rec Teq. While I've not ever used a smaller one to speak to, I have used 2 different Green Mountain Grills and they are also amazing. If I were to ever step down in size of grill, I'd be torn between my excellent historical experience with GMG, and not knowing anything more than an assumed parallel with the RT-2500.
My appreciation for the BFG has not waned, but our use has.

Sorry if this is too frank, but if you want someone blowing smoke, start raising Bees. If you want an honest answer, I'm your Pig.

Greetings,

Your thoughts?

Thank you
Absolutely NOT! Smoke generation is a real problem with the BFG. You will find many posts on this forum about techniques to generate enough smoke. So basically, the BFG is just an expensive outdoor oven.

I too would get 2 700's. I could cook 2 dishes at different temperatures if needed. Big question is would I need to? I have a 700 and I am very delighted with what I can do with it. Queenie adores me and thinks I have talent. I just own the right tools. :)

I knew I wanted a Recteq and the BFG was my first. I bought this big one because I cook for my workers on the weekends and needed the larger size. It works great, especially when cooking for a crowd.
However, I believe I don't get the smoke flavor I would in a smaller version. The BFG only has one firepot for this large grill. (Compare to the Beast which has 2 firepots.) (Sometimes I add a smoke tube)
Also, when just cooking for my family it is a bit of overkill. Yet, since I still cook for a crowd often, I'm glad I bought it.

I just bought my new BFG because I am tired of trying to juggle 2 or sometime 3 pellet grills to be able to complete a single cook.

I have great hopes that the BFG is going to deliver as advertised.

I cook 120 - 150 pounds of brisket at time and that is only because I don't have any more space to bring my volume up to 200 - 225 pounds at a time.

The advertised 15 briskets at 15 pounds each will get me the 225 pounds that can become my new "targeted" cook weight.

If my new BFG performs as advertised, then I will think about buying a second BFG, not regretting my first. :)

v/r r

I just bought my new BFG because I am tired of trying to juggle 2 or sometime 3 pellet grills to be able to complete a single cook.

I cook 120 - 150 pounds of brisket at time and that is only because I don't have any more space to bring my volume up to 200 - 225 pounds at a time.

The advertised 15 briskets at 15 pounds each will get me the 225 pounds that can become my new "targeted" cook weight.

If my new BFG performs as advertised, then I will think about buying a second BFG, not regretting my first. :)

v/r r
Now, that’s a SERIOUS brisket cook! Are you doing this commercially, or just feeding a BIG family?

v/r r
I just wish i could afford 15 briskets lol

My son and daughter in law have a food truck business. (two trucks). My wife and I support their weekly menus with smoked/slow cooked meats as needed. They will feature brisket meals one or two times a week. I don't really consider it commercial because I am not paid :) , and it is not every day. At 73 years old I think of it as Grandpa and Grandma helping out the kids.

They (their guys at their kitchen commissary) provide me with the trimmed briskets in coolers and I give them back the same coolers with the finished products. I don't have to pay for the meats, I just cook them as needed.

I do the same think for a couple of big churches here locally and a couple of Veterans Groups when needed. Same deal, they provide the meat in coolers and I provide the finished products back for their event. No cost.

Anyway, I did burn in and first cook (25 pounds of chicken quarters). The BFG has some quirks that I will have to find work arounds for, but overall it was pretty amazing. I was skeptical about their "no hot spots" claim so I placed chicken at 6 positions on the bottom rack and 5 positions (four corners and the center) on each of the upper racks.

I ran the cook at 325 and the "finished chicken" target was 185 degrees. It took a little over three hours and I was actually amazed to find them all within 5 degrees internal temperature at every point on every grate. They were all juicy, golden brown, nice thin crispy skin and zero charring or scorching on any piece. I would have said that it was impossible. But there it is.

Saturday night's cook will be the tell. I am supposed get 12 each 15 +/- pound trimmed packers from my son. I plan to put them on at around 4pm at 220. This puts my estimated wrapping time at about 4am (12 hours to 165-175). Then about 4 to 5 hours to get through the stall and to the finish. If all is well, it will be sliced and onto the trucks by 11 am for his lunch and dinner meals. Easy huh. I need a smiley face here.

We shall see.

Anyway, thanks to all who read this. I will try to take a couple of pictures, and I am hoping it will go well.

v/r r

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back