Bullseye Worth buying bullseye for grilling only?

I think there is some confusion here as to what is the stock deflector and what is the aftermarket deflector with a removable insert. I have, and was referring to, the stock deflector which (after much use) looks like this. All the holes in the periphery allow more flame/direct heat to food on the outside edge of the grate.
866D4AC4-97F5-4F2E-80E4-FCC544C70A95.jpeg

Attachments

• C6ADF2C5-64A2-4A92-8E52-836205DD5E47.jpeg
    C6ADF2C5-64A2-4A92-8E52-836205DD5E47.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 113
I would love to see photos of the diffuser if you could sometime. Thank you for the info! Are the bullseye grates not stainless like the smokers?
No, see the pic Greg Jones just posted.

I would say all/or at least most Weber 22 inch accessories should fit the bullseye. Like I have the Weber rotisserie and used on the Bullseye.

@Greg Jones Honestly I have never used the Bullseye with out the grill grates, but now I am intrigued. I did cook some jerk chicken last night and noticed that the GG cooled quickly.
Also, Rookie mistake, I did not spray the grill before I put them on so they stuck........ But still good fajitas tonight!
Now I am emboldened to try without the GG, which might be perfect for next cook. I have been wanting to cook some jerk wings. I finally got some Pimento Wood which, mentioned in this forum is a must.

Saw this video this week and it looks amazing! Japanese BBQ Wings

Will keep you posted!

@Greg Jones Honestly I have never used the Bullseye with out the grill grates, but now I am intrigued. I did cook some jerk chicken last night and noticed that the GG cooled quickly.
Also, Rookie mistake, I did not spray the grill before I put them on so they stuck........ But still good fajitas tonight!
Now I am emboldened to try without the GG, which might be perfect for next cook. I have been wanting to cook some jerk wings. I finally got some Pimento Wood which, mentioned in this forum is a must.

Saw this video this week and it looks amazing! Japanese BBQ Wings

Will keep you posted!
Please do (keep me posted). I mostly use the GrillGrates myself-going to put on two nice ribeyes here in about five minutes. I actually use an old Baking Steel over my stock deflector as I don’t care for that ‘direct flame’ from the Bullseye, even with the GrillGrates. I also never use Riot mode with the Bullseye anymore-500° is now max for me
E01FFE56-9557-4687-93AC-96F9EC6B1CA6.jpeg

I have a 1250 and other pits for smoking, I'm looking at possibly buying the bullseye for grilling with pellets instead of propane or charcoal. Burgers, chicken, steak, fish that sort of thing.

I see a lot of complaints but maybe it's only about low and slow?

Those who have the bullseye, is it good for my intended use or should I stick with a Weber kettle?
The Bullseye is the one I use the most. I also have the RT-700 and a Kamado Joe. The Bullseye is awesome! I also like that I can toss wood chunks in it for a good smoke with whatever flavor I want at the higher temps.

Like most have said here, the bull’s-eye is great for regular grilling and not great for low and slow cooks. I use mine for spatchcock chicken, burgers, fish, pork steaks, baby back ribs, and the occasional half brisket. I haven’t had luck with regular beef steaks like ribeyes and tenderloin. But I also don’t have the grill grates yet. I guess maybe once I get those it would be better but without them it’s not a great steak grilling grill.

I had most of the same issues that you read here when I first got it but I think overtime the grill has just settled in and it works pretty darn good. I do clean out the firebox after every four or five cooks just to lessen the chance of a flame out. Which I’ve had a few of those as well.

Bullseye may work for the grilling but the WiFi certainly doesn't work reliably.

There's only 2 of us so the Weber Genesis was much too large, so I sold it and used the $ to get a Bullseye. I use it to do it all, low and slow, grilling and throwing it on Riot Mode to do steaks and pizzas. I got the Grill Grates and the Weber Rotisserie, plus a stainless steel pan, 12 - 13" diameter, to use as a drip pan for low and slow cooks. Don't waste your money on the rotisserie, spatchcocking a chicken is faster and better, but if you want a Bullseye for grilling, it's a good choice.

OK, I cooked some Outside Skirt Steaks, which are quickly becoming a favorite, on the Bullseye with no GrillGrates.

I set the Bullseye to 450, it topped out around 500 when I put the steaks on. The overshoot on temp is ok with me because as soon as you open the lid the temp will fall and on the Bullseye, I definatley open and close more.

For the OSS which is a thinner cut I have been using the "Just Keep Flipping" Method which has worked well.

I definitely did not have the flame kiss, but it cooked them fine. I probable still prefer the GG as they seared better and honestly seems to keep the entire surface of the Bullseye a more consistent temperature.

Anyway, FWIW the Bullseye is a great for me with quick, hot and fast cooks. I do think it needs to be monitored more than my 590. I also dont think it is a set it and forget it grill.

Honestly I could probably dial it in more, but I have the 590 and a Blackstone, so it is my charcoal grill replacement and I could not be happier.

Question on grates. I had a RecTeq rep advise me today not to use cast iron grates in the Bullseye, because they get so much hotter than stainless, all your temps will be off. I prefer cast iron because I know how to cook on them and I love the grill marks. Anyone have any insight/experience on this?

I attended the Academy in April. There was much discussion about who owns what, and what really gets used most often. Hands down, the Bulls-Eye is the "go to" grill that everybody seems to have as their "daily grill". Even Jody and Greg say that the Bulls-Eye is hard to beat. As everybody has already stated, the BE has so many options, since it shares the diameter of the Weber kettle. Two people had actually found a rusted out Weber Patio, and had torn the kettle out, and installed the BE in its place. BE with wheels and workspace. I did pick up the sear-kit, but have not used it yet. I really like my BE. The Academy was awesome, but it is expensive. So much information provided, that this old brain was pretty much in overload mode. What a blast. I think I will probably pick up a cast iron grate, at some point in time.

I attended the Academy in April. There was much discussion about who owns what, and what really gets used most often. Hands down, the Bulls-Eye is the "go to" grill that everybody seems to have as their "daily grill". Even Jody and Greg say that the Bulls-Eye is hard to beat. As everybody has already stated, the BE has so many options, since it shares the diameter of the Weber kettle. Two people had actually found a rusted out Weber Patio, and had torn the kettle out, and installed the BE in its place. BE with wheels and workspace. I did pick up the sear-kit, but have not used it yet. I really like my BE. The Academy was awesome, but it is expensive. So much information provided, that this old brain was pretty much in overload mode. What a blast. I think I will probably pick up a cast iron grate, at some point in time.
Which team? I was on the Rub One Off team! Academy was great! Would do it again. I ended up buying a Bullseye based on the Academy experience. Delivered this past Monday. Assembled, burned in and first cook was chicken thighs. I can see how this will be the daily workhorse.

Which team? I was on the Rub One Off team! Academy was great! Would do it again. I ended up buying a Bullseye based on the Academy experience. Delivered this past Monday. Assembled, burned in and first cook was chicken thighs. I can see how this will be the daily workhorse.
Hot Peckers !!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back