Wood chunks sitting directly on cast deflector?

northgagriller

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Thinking about sitting these apple chunks directly on the cast iron heat deflector of my newish 590.
I have only found one thread about this and people start suggesting smoke tubes or they did it with the older style deflectors.
Just wondering if anyone has tried or had success or failures laying chunks directly on the cast iron deflectors that come with these grills now?
Doing a butt tonight and thinking of doing this.

5688C311-C3EB-4B50-A4FA-10E1525DD510.jpeg

I don't have the cast deflector, but I put chunks on my stainless deflector and really never noticed a difference.

I've thought about trying the same thing. I'll be curious to hear how it works.

Thinking about sitting these apple chunks directly on the cast iron heat deflector of my newish 590.
I have only found one thread about this and people start suggesting smoke tubes or they did it with the older style deflectors.
Just wondering if anyone has tried or had success or failures laying chunks directly on the cast iron deflectors that come with these grills now?

View attachment 17871
I watched a YouTube video of this method and it worked well. The wood burned down to ash with just a few charcoal chunks left over. These weren't "big" chunks, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the ones you have pictured. I am going to try this myself soon. I have only used my RT 1250 twice-including my "first-cook" chicken thighs seasoning cook, so I am looking forward to experimenting with different techniques. Best of luck with your cook~!!!

Well, the final result was a great pile of pork! But the chunks didn’t really play a role. 14 hrs @225 and the chunks barely even turned colors. A little char on bottom, but I doubt there was any actual smoke coming from them. Will maybe try inside the deflector sitting beside firepot and see if that makes a difference.
The butt was really good though. Main thing was nothing negative happened, just not the results I was hoping for. It basically was if I didn’t put them on there to start with.

184318F9-E60B-40F5-B46C-66D6BF6A9BFC.jpeg

4EEE20D1-4A38-4F99-91A6-734835DF3F73.jpeg

AEF1DED5-2113-4049-921B-99046DD43611.jpeg

The trick is to get them good and smoldering first* then you can lower it to smoking temps. Puting them on at 180-225 just isnt hot enough.

View attachment 17871
I found that just using the right pellets provides plenty of smoke for low and slows.
Bear Mountain Bold is my favorite.

I have an 8 pound bone in pork butt thawing in the refrigerator right now. I will put rub on it tonight and get up early in the morning to put it on my 590. I always just use a smoke tube when I want extra smoke. But I might try putting some Preheated chips, I don't have blocks, On the fire pot cover and see how they look after the end of the day.

I have an 8 pound bone in pork butt thawing in the refrigerator right now. I will put rub on it tonight and get up early in the morning to put it on my 590. I always just use a smoke tube when I want extra smoke. But I might try putting some Preheated chips, I don't have blocks, On the fire pot cover and see how they look after the end of the day.
I use smoke tubes all the time. Sometimes I use 2 if I have a big brisket or pork butt. I have found that you get plenty of smoke with the tubes. I have mixed in wood chips of different flavors in the tubes with the pellets. That works well also and extends the smoke tube time.

Allowing wood to smolder generates dirty smoke making for a bitter taste like an ash tray. At least with a smoke tube, the wood is actually burning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back