Stampede Won't be selling my gas grill anytime soon!

Whatever you say MT
Screenshot_20200609-205346_RECTEC.jpg

If you have the room, I see no need to get rid of the gasser, all have their place. I own the RT 700, a Webber I got about 10 years ago, and an Egg. They all get used based on what I am in the mood for. I love the RT for convenience, it gives great flavor, and it allows me to sleep for long cooks. I don't use it to sear, but letting it cook in that smoke until the right internal temp and dropping it on a piping hot grill give fantastic results. If I want more smoke/charcoal in a cook, I throw it on the Egg. Also, living in Florida, it is nice to have some cookers that don't need electricity...hurricane season, need to be prepared.

I never planned on abandoning gas all together but the 4 burner Weber I have is over 4 feet long and I have a separate cart with side burner I use for prep that is also 4 feet long. My 8 x16 patio is getting crowded!

Took everything apart today. Very little ash in the cup and no pellets. I thought It primed the cup during the shutdown cycle. Vacuumed out the ash and re-primed and fired it up set to full. Made 400 degrees in 20 minutes and 510 after 35 minutes. I can live with that. I think most of my problem was wind related.

I wish but the existing patio sits dead on the set back line. Here on Hilton Head one would receive less punishment for robbing a bank than violating that rule!!
Hilton Head I love it there, here in Connecticut I would get taxed to death for any improvements to my property. ☹

Hilton Head I love it there, here in Connecticut I would get taxed to death for any improvements to my property. ☹
Probably not much better here. I want to put a simple metal roof over my 8x16 foot paved patio. I could do it code compliant for $2500 material and my labor. To permit it requires stamped plans from an architect and engineer, an as-built survey and approved drainage plan in addition to having POA/ARB approval plus the permit cost. A $2500 project ends up costing 10 grand! I cannot complain. My property is worth 4 times what I paid for it 23 years ago.

I never thought my new 590 would replace my gas grills but I did think it would be okay to cook things that don't need to be seared like the pork chops I cooked tonight. Max temp after an hour was 425. Really limp performance in my opinion. Glen Beck Lied!

I would call Rec Tec. My 590 went up 600 during break in.

We need ALOT more info than that if you're looking for help.
If you're trying to flame broil those PorkChops it's not going to work on the 590. I'd like to suggest you try some different techniques for pellet smokers. Like low and slow smoke them until about 145° internal and then reverse sear them at 425° or whatever you can get out of your 590. You made need some adjustment or Calibration since it's new?
(Reverse sear is searing at the end if you're unaware)...this is NOT a smartass reply btw. I did these the other night just as I described....View attachment 4697
OMG!
Those chopped look awesome!
We’re they juicy in the end?
I’ve heard of a lot of dry pork chop stories.

Crazy as this might sound, I only use my 590 for low temps and long cooks where consistent temperatures are a must. I really think of it as a smoker. I know it can be used as a high temp grill, I just choose not to use it for that. I have a great gas grill if I want that high temp sear. Plus I like the flames and occasional flare up from the gas grill.

My pellet grill does what I want it to do provide a very controllable source of heat that's great for smoking and longer cook's, yes it can sear but we really don't use it for that. You need to think about it being more of a oven than a grill. I also have no intention of giving up my gasser either because it's our go to quick get it done grill, now with being said a Bullseye might be added but the jury still out on this.
If after running your 590 for 1 hour and it only reachied 425 somethings not right, pellets come to mind but after spending the $$ you did I would be calling RecTec as mentioned earlier.
OMG!
Those chopped look awesome!
We’re they juicy in the end?
I’ve heard of a lot of dry pork chop stories.
I have a RT-700 and learning all the time. I did my first Filet Mignon steaks last night and it went well. Set 250. Slow cooked to 130, then took off, set to 500 with grillgrates. At temp, seared 3min each side for an internal of 155. Wife loved the taste and texture. I think next time I’ll pull off at 125 and use the flat side of grillgrates to 145. Point is, you got to try different things, that’s part of the joy!

I have the 700 and use it regularly for many cooks..... but like most equipment it has it's place for many applications. ie. I smoke my chicken thighs at 275 for about 40 minutes then run it up to 400 and pull them off when they reach 140 or so then I finish them on my gasser or black rock grill till they reach 165. I like to be able to get that crispy skin finish.

My 590 hits 400 degrees in 15 minutes or less and 500 in another 5-10 minutes. Call RecTec.

I use cooking pellets in my 590, never had an issue hitting 550-600 degrees. Cheap pellets play a huge roll in temps just an fyi.

In reading this thread, I'm new to my Stampede. I did a great cook of a tri-tip and it turned out awesome. I wasn't able to get those quick sear marks I would have liked too. I am curious if anyone here has used the "Sear Daddy" as an accessory with their Stampede with this issue when you just want to grill at high temps?

I never thought my new 590 would replace my gas grills but I did think it would be okay to cook things that don't need to be seared like the pork chops I cooked tonight. Max temp after an hour was 425. Really limp performance in my opinion. Glen Beck Lied!
I’m a firm believer in “to each his own”. But I have over just the last few months worry less about grill marks. I’m perfectly happy with a steak of chops cooked on my RT-700 that provide me that great wood-fired/grilled flavor. And, on those occasions where I’m trying to impress someone with grill marks, I just put my GrllGrates on, heat them up to 425, and they put some nice cross-hatched marks on those steaks snd chops while still capturing that wonderful wood-fired flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back