Stampede Won't be selling my gas grill anytime soon!

GH41

I never thought my new 590 would replace my gas grills but I did think it would be okay to cook things that don't need to be seared like the pork chops I cooked tonight. Max temp after an hour was 425. Really limp performance in my opinion. Glen Beck Lied!

I have no particular allegiance to Glenn Beck, haven't seen him since he left Fox, but it seems a bit over the top to blame a celebrity spokesman for a product issue like this. I mean do you call Samuel L. Jackson about your Capitol One bill error?

Might get some satisfaction by calling RecTec customer support. Maybe. Maybe not. But it' has a 4 year warranty.

My pellet grill does what I want it to do provide a very controllable source of heat that's great for smoking and longer cook's, yes it can sear but we really don't use it for that. You need to think about it being more of a oven than a grill. I also have no intention of giving up my gasser either because it's our go to quick get it done grill, now with being said a Bullseye might be added but the jury still out on this.
If after running your 590 for 1 hour and it only reachied 425 somethings not right, pellets come to mind but after spending the $$ you did I would be calling RecTec as mentioned earlier.

Even though they say 600 degrees, I haven't seen that Mid 500's yes. More than enough to sear. As said above, call Rec Tec, they will figure out what has to be done. ??

Even though they say 600 degrees, I haven't seen that Mid 500's yes. More than enough to sear. As said above, call Rec Tec, they will figure out what has to be done. ??
I've seen just over 600 but when searing and opening the lid this temperature is not maintainable, it will drop down. The sear plates help but still easier to do on the gasser.
20190713_180534.jpg

I was reading some customer ratings on a bullet smoker this morning and a 1 star rater said he liked the cooker but was rating it low because the manufacturer didn't send instructions on how to cook food, only assembly instructions. There's a whole cadre of consumers out there who apparently prefer/demand to be spoon fed rather than think. Might be a different equipment issue there…………………...

I was reading some customer ratings on a bullet smoker this morning and a 1 star rater said he liked the cooker but was rating it low because the manufacturer didn't send instructions on how to cook food, only assembly instructions. There's a whole cadre of consumers out there who apparently prefer/demand to be spoon fed rather than think. Might be a different equipment issue there…………………...
LOL, so true

Last edited:
@Uncle Bob

I completely agree, folks today want and demand absolute instant gratification in everything. Without putting in the time and effort, then wonder why things don't turn out right or why they're not an instant Pitmaster. Like everything in life, the tools used are only as good as the person using them.

Last edited:
Crazy as this might sound, I only use my 590 for low temps and long cooks where consistent temperatures are a must. I really think of it as a smoker. I know it can be used as a high temp grill, I just choose not to use it for that. I have a great gas grill if I want that high temp sear. Plus I like the flames and occasional flare up from the gas grill.

I agree, I have a nice Weber Gaser that I have no plans to get rid of. It works great for high temps, and quick cooks. I know the RT can do it, but it takes longer to get up to temp and longer to cool down. As BethV said, i like the flame flare up while cooking burgers or steaks. There are things the RT does great and I use it weekly, but I also still use the gaser and will continue to use both.

Crazy as this might sound, I only use my 590 for low temps and long cooks where consistent temperatures are a must. I really think of it as a smoker. I know it can be used as a high temp grill, I just choose not to use it for that. I have a great gas grill if I want that high temp sear. Plus I like the flames and occasional flare up from the gas grill.
I agree, I pretty much just use my RT for low and slow smoking. If I want a quick burger, steak or anything else, I will plop it down on the gasser. However, I just recently bought a Blackstone griddle, so now the dilemma is if it's not going on the RT, should I grill, or griddle?‍♂️

I never thought my new 590 would replace my gas grills but I did think it would be okay to cook things that don't need to be seared like the pork chops I cooked tonight. Max temp after an hour was 425. Really limp performance in my opinion. Glen Beck Lied!
We need ALOT more info than that if you're looking for help.
If you're trying to flame broil those PorkChops it's not going to work on the 590. I'd like to suggest you try some different techniques for pellet smokers. Like low and slow smoke them until about 145° internal and then reverse sear them at 425° or whatever you can get out of your 590. You made need some adjustment or Calibration since it's new?
(Reverse sear is searing at the end if you're unaware)...this is NOT a smartass reply btw. I did these the other night just as I described....
IMG_20200605_182117.jpg

We need ALOT more info than that if you're looking for help.
If you're trying to flame broil those PorkChops it's not going to work on the 590. I'd like to suggest you try some different techniques for pellet smokers. Like low and slow smoke them until about 145° internal and then reverse sear them at 425° or whatever you can get out of your 590. You made need some adjustment or Calibration since it's new?
(Reverse sear is searing at the end if you're unaware)...this is NOT a smartass reply btw. I did these the other night just as I described....View attachment 4697
Awesome looking chops!

I agree, I have a nice Weber Gaser that I have no plans to get rid of. It works great for high temps, and quick cooks. I know the RT can do it, but it takes longer to get up to temp and longer to cool down. As BethV said, i like the flame flare up while cooking burgers or steaks. There are things the RT does great and I use it weekly, but I also still use the gaser and will continue to use both.
Absolutely.......I ran my Bull through it's high end heat paces when it was new I just wanted to see how it performed with no real expectations and now I do the same thing. My sear grates reside in my 3 burner Weber gaser.

I'll quote myself so maybe some of you will read the original post again. Pellets.. I am using the perfect mix pellets from RecTec. I probably made a mistake ordering 200 pounds of them to take advantage of the 30% discount offered on them. I did the initial break in burn at 400 for one hour as directed and afterwards took the drip pan out to wrap it. I was surprised that the fire pot/cup was half full of ashes. Vacuumed clean and re primed it. First cook was a couple of racks. Started the grill set to 225 and was happily surprised it reached temp in 10 minutes. The only times it lost 225 was when I opened at 3 hrs to wrap and at 5 hrs to unwrap. I was very happy with the results. I did nothing before trying the chops other than cranking the grill up and cooking. I'll verify tomorrow but I bet the pot is full of ashes and reducing the ability to reach higher temp. We shall see. BTW.. I don't particularly like Glenn Beck and he wasn't endorsing RecTec when I ordered my 590. Just think it is funny that he promises everything short of cooking an old boot on the grill turns out perfect!

I'll quote myself so maybe some of you will read the original post again. Pellets.. I am using the perfect mix pellets from RecTec. I probably made a mistake ordering 200 pounds of them to take advantage of the 30% discount offered on them. I did the initial break in burn at 400 for one hour as directed and afterwards took the drip pan out to wrap it. I was surprised that the fire pot/cup was half full of ashes. Vacuumed clean and re primed it. First cook was a couple of racks. Started the grill set to 225 and was happily surprised it reached temp in 10 minutes. The only times it lost 225 was when I opened at 3 hrs to wrap and at 5 hrs to unwrap. I was very happy with the results. I did nothing before trying the chops other than cranking the grill up and cooking. I'll verify tomorrow but I bet the pot is full of ashes and reducing the ability to reach higher temp. We shall see. BTW.. I don't particularly like Glenn Beck and he wasn't endorsing RecTec when I ordered my 590. Just think it is funny that he promises everything short of cooking an old boot on the grill turns out perfect!
Still could be the pellets, maybe it's something wrong with the grill. I clean the burn pot out by hand when I scrape the drip pan, it's never full of ash, couple finger fulls at best after digging through the new pellets that were added on shut down and this is after several cooks. Maybe try another bag of the 200 pounds of pellets you got or give RecTec a call like mentioned earlier and see what they say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back