Trailblazer Wild temp swings

Mikeg7460

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Just purchased a RT 340 last weekend. Only did a couple quick things just to get the feel of it.
I put a butt on last night about 9:30 and set at 200. It seemed fine but when I got up this morning I noticed huge temp swings...150-300. I see on forum this may be a common problem. Any quick fixes or plan on contacting support and figuring it out. I love the grill so far but I can't tolerate the temp swing.

You might try adjusting the minimum feed rate. If your feed rate is set to high the grill can have a hard time holding steady at low temps. If you decide to adjust it search YouTube for “RecTec minimum feed rate adjustment” and they show you how.

You might try adjusting the minimum feed rate. If your feed rate is set to high the grill can have a hard time holding steady at low temps. If you decide to adjust it search YouTube for “RecTec minimum feed rate adjustment” and they show you how.
Thanks, i called support and they're on it. I hope it's just an adjustment and not a part

For what it’s worth, I have not had great luck with the Recteq Ultimate pellets. They vary widely in pellet length (from 1/2” to 1-1/2” and have a propensity to interrupt or completely jam the auger feed.

I have used Kingsford Hickory, Bear Mountain Hickory and Lumberjack Hickory (OK…so I like hickory :rolleyes: ) without a problem, but the RT Ultimates periodically cause the temp swing issue. Try another brand of pellets and see if that solves your problem.

Set minimum feed rate to lowest setting. make sure temp probe is not touching the side wall. Also make sure you don't have a smoke tube next to the temp probe.

For what it’s worth, I have not had great luck with the Recteq Ultimate pellets. They vary widely in pellet length (from 1/2” to 1-1/2” and have a propensity to interrupt or completely jam the auger feed.

I have used Kingsford Hickory, Bear Mountain Hickory and Lumberjack Hickory (OK…so I like hickory :rolleyes: ) without a problem, but the RT Ultimates periodically cause the temp swing issue. Try another brand of pellets and see if that solves your problem.
Interesting …. Haven’t has a jam yet 🤞

This post is a bit old, but I thought I'd add my recent experience. I've had my 340 for a couple of months now and have been pleased with how the temp seems to stay quite close to the set temp.

Late yesterday afternoon I put on a nice looking Boston Butt (7.69#) at 200*. The first thing I noticed was that the temp was doing almost exactly what the OP described; going up to nearly 300*, and falling back to below 150*. I chose to let the smoker do its thing and see what happens. At 3:30 this morning the probe temp alarm went off; the Butt had already hit an IT of 205*. I took it off, let it rest a while, and pulled it. The meat was tender and tasty, but as you can imagine it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Later this morning I took out the grate,drip pan, and heat diffuser expecting to see a buildup of ash or grease, but it was relatively clear. I cleaned it out anyway, and also took some time to wipe off the temp probe, including a vigorous scrubbing with steel wool.

After reassembly I put on a couple of small items I had originally intended to smoke, and again set the temp to 200*. This time, after about 20 minutes of warm up the 340 stayed within about 20* of the set temp for the entire three hour cook.

I'm assuming that maybe the buildup on the probe was the problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back