Wild hog ideas

dvdub

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Any tips on what to do with some shoulders and loins from a wild hog? It was a small one that should be tasty.

heck yeah man. i cut the legs off and make them fit i normally do a shoulder and a hoof next to each other if that makes sense so save room. what grill you using? they claim the 700 will do a 80lber. i will test that this fall. here is a picture of two small pigs i smoked in my old smoker. young wild pigs are pretty lean so i would inject it with apple juice and wrap the legs at the stall. if you have any other questions ask we will all be glad to help.

Attachments

• 72BAA258-9FD3-4781-99F6-9C60B946C856.jpeg
    72BAA258-9FD3-4781-99F6-9C60B946C856.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
the loins can also be smoked for pulled pork. but i like to keep them hole and eat them at 165. remember not to eat wild pork under 165 because they can carry trichinosis

Did a shoulder and hindquarter like store bought Boston butt-Applewood rub on one and Freakin Greek on another the night before with a little Conecuh wild game seasoning salt before putting on smoker (probably won't use this next time), 225, no wrap, to IT 205, parked in cooler for an hour- devoured.

Shoulder turned out amazing- melt in your mouth goodness. Hindquarter was tougher and could have gone longer- pulled at 200 and should have left on to 205- but it was tougher before cooking so may just be a thing. Would do either Conecuh wild game seasoning or a rub instead of throwing a little seasoning salt on as extra. Not both. I was nervous of "gaminess" because they were so fresh.

Excited for leftovers. Excited for other shoulder and hindquarter. Excited to get more of this organic meat on next hunt.
Wild hog shoulder and hindquarter.JPG
Wild hog smoke ring.JPG

turned out great looking bud! way to go. what state you hunting them in? we have a good many in sc. i prefer to hunt deer but i prefer eating them delicious pigs!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back