wifi thermomter

I can also recommend the Inkbird. I've used it so much one of the probes covering broke. I need to get another but as I have the 4 probe one can wait.

The inkbird is decent, but the probes suck IMO. I had them all replaced under warranty. Now the replacements are starting to fail.

The inkbird is decent, but the probes suck IMO. I had them all replaced under warranty. Now the replacements are starting to fail.
I thought the same thing when I had several early probe failures. Then I read the manual and realized iB warns against submerging them in any liquid. I now hand wash them and keep the connections dry and have had 2+ years of failure free operation.

I’ve never submerged them, just wipe with a wet sponge to get the probe clean. I’m glad you have had good luck with the probes. The unit is solid otherwise.

I realize the questions wasn’t asked but, my wife thinks I lack confidence in RT’s probes that were one of the selling points. Do you think she’s right?

EB090EBC-FE8B-4E5F-9DB5-3617FA6975E2.jpeg

I realize the questions wasn’t asked but, my wife thinks I lack confidence in RT’s probes that were one of the selling points. Do you think she’s right?

View attachment 18135
Hey, having a backup or two…or six…is just prudent; it has nothing to do with “confidence.” :ROFLMAO:

Jim6820 you are correct. Hard to believe I spent my first 40 years doing outdoor cooking with only the back of my hand for grill temps, and a fork and a skewer to check food temperatures. Haha.

Jim6820 you are correct. Hard to believe I spent my first 40 years doing outdoor cooking with only the back of my hand for grill temps, and a fork and a skewer to check food temperatures. Haha.
I hear you! I flew blind for a lot of years before I started to take a more consistent and professional approach to my “outdoor cooking.” The difference has been pretty amazing; my consistency has improved markedly, as has my confidence. Great tools really do help. ;)

Jim6820.

Well said. In prior years I am sure my guests may have been more polite than I gave them credit for. My cooking was all over the map. Fortunately, never bad, but just as you eloquently stated, inconsistent. Another great benefit to proper monitoring is that it reduces the cooking variables so we can focus on improvements in the processes and ingredients versus not being to pinpoint individual good cooks versus ok cooks and what influenced the change(s). Thanks for the reminder of why we own so many devices. Now to quote you to the “boss”, haha.

Love the functionality but my Inkbird has become unreliable - probes failing? The one I use the most and looks to be in the worst shape is the only one I trust. Photos of a little testing - cold butter from refrigerator, ice water, and ambient air along side two instant reads. Only one probe seems to be working, and as stated, it is the one I have used to death.

IMG20230414110636.jpg

IMG20230414111113.jpg

IMG20230414111605.jpg

I can't speak to the Inkbird, but I have had several Thermoworks probes go bad. One was bad from the get go and Thermoworks immediately replaced it, no questions asked. Others were from me doing dumb things like getting kinks in the wires. I believe these probes do have a life expectancy and I now keep a couple of spares on hand in case one dies in an "important" cook (I had one go berserk on Thanksgiving one year).

Love the functionality but my Inkbird has become unreliable - probes failing? The one I use the most and looks to be in the worst shape is the only one I trust. Photos of a little testing - cold butter from refrigerator, ice water, and ambient air along side two instant reads. Only one probe seems to be working, and as stated, it is the one I have used to death.

View attachment 18980

View attachment 18981

View attachment 18982
I contacted Inkbird and they had me run a test - placing probes in 302 degree (150C) oven with the connectors outside the oven for 30 minutes - then dangling the tips into boiling water making sure not to touch the vessel - not sure what kind of Voodoo Magic happened but they all seem to be spot on now.

This thread caught my attention. Last Saturday I was using the RT probes in my RT1250 for a large overnight brisket cook. I went to sleep waiting the alert from RT that my brisket was ready to wrap. I never used the alert before, but I was expecting more than the little bleep I slept through. Thankfully my wife woke me up and I wrapped on time. So now I’m thinking I should be using another thermometer with a real alarm. I own a Maverick but the probes are all jacked up. I’m using it as my resting thermometer after it’s pulled from the grill and into the cooler.

I’m looking for a thermometer that’s worth buying over using the RT. Thermoworks sounds good. I own a thermapen one.

I appreciate all the input with the various brands! Thanks!

Last Saturday I was using the RT probes in my RT1250 for a large overnight brisket cook. I went to sleep waiting the alert from RT that my brisket was ready to wrap. I never used the alert before, but I was expecting more than the little bleep I slept through.
Even if the recteq app used a bull horn for alarms, i personally would never trust the app to wake me up, especially on a weekend and/or holiday. The recteq servers are notorious for being unreliable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back