wifi thermomter

garmp

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. RT-300
Don't even know it this exists. I am looking for a thermometer with wifi that'll connect to my phone. My hope is to inset the probe into the meat & head to the local drinking establishment a couple of miles away and be able to check the internal temp.
Where can I find such a device and for how much? If so which one do you recommend & why.

thanks

Well, ThermoWorks has a Signals unit that connects to the internet. It comes in two-probe and four-probe versions. Check here: https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/

I have the four-probe version and love it. The two-probe version would actually serve my needs most of the time. TW products are top-notch, as is their customer service.

Followed the link you posted and cannot find the two probe version anywhere on their website. Is it maybe called something else I'm not seeing possibly?

I have This one from Inkbird and it works great. Regularly $99 but on Cyber Monday sale on Amazon for $49. Over 5,000 ratings on Amazon with 4.5 stars. I think Thermoworks is a better brand but for less than 1/3 the price this works fine. Just not sure if the Thermoworks products have some bells and whistles this one doesn’t.

Followed the link you posted and cannot find the two probe version anywhere on their website. Is it maybe called something else I'm not seeing possibly?
My error; it is the Smoke unit that comes in 2- and 4-probe versions. It is similar to the Signals unit I have, but only does Bluetooth, so distance is limited. At the sale price, I would sure take a hard look at the Signals.

Last edited:
X2 on Thermoworks Signals. Not cheap, but I have managed many a cook from many miles away with confidence. Oh, and Thermoworks alarms/notifications always work.

FYI the 4 probe is the way to go. One probe for your pit temp and three to stick into various parts of your cook or even multiple proteins cooked together.

Almost 40 pounds of really good meat cooked when I was 25 miles away. Note that I had a pit air temp, a probe in the point and another in the flat of a brisket and one more in the pork shoulder.

IMG_1030.jpeg

I have This one from Inkbird and it works great. Regularly $99 but on Cyber Monday sale on Amazon for $49. Over 5,000 ratings on Amazon with 4.5 stars. I think Thermoworks is a better brand but for less than 1/3 the price this works fine. Just not sure if the Thermoworks products have some bells and whistles this one doesn’t.
Waterboy,

I also have the inkBird and it has worked very well. I am 3 years into using it and it has been flawless. The wifi is rock steady and the alerts have never let me down. I just finished a cook for Friendsgiving (day after Turkey day) that consisted of brisket, two pork shoulders, a turkey and some miscellaneous sides. I used probes from RT, Meater, and the iB. The iB was the only true contender. The RT stopped tracking my cook (no data captured or recoverable) 3 hours into the cook. I consulted with RT and they still used the same excuse, our servers are overwhelmed. Goodness, I’ve heard that on every big cook day for several years. I had a flawless version of their software that was glitch free for the last 7 months and this time it forced me to update, which caused the problems in my opinion and was why I never did the update. The Meater had several probes go dormant during the cook due to a “lost signal” even though my network signal was consistently high and nothing moved (i.e,. base, probes, etc.). After a reboot and re-establishing the connection (which happened 4 or 5 times during the cook) I regained signal. From prior cooks, I realize the signal loss may be attributable to the 304SS on the RT and on my Lynx Pro, but for the admission price you would think their design team could have considered signal strength using multiple materials and material thicknesses. Heck, they should have tested its’ ability to penetrate an Abrahams tank when you look at professional cookers these days instead of building a device for someone with a $99 aluminum “wally world” grill which shouldn’t be the target demographic for a $400 probe set, (not trying to offend anyone). Further, about 11 hours into the cook the batteries expired in a couple of fully pre-charged probes. There is nothing more demeaning than to have all the “automation” but lack the trust to take a nap because you receive errant warnings due to dropped connections and dead probe batteries. All the while, the iB kept chugging along. When I finished the cook and finally turned off the grill after 26 hours total run time, it was still showing 50% charge remaining. FYI, I got it at the discounted price and have never looked back!!! YMMV, good luck with your decision.

Edit: I should have said each of the items above have their own special place and use. The RTs are usually rock solid for local use as long as you don’t rely on their alarm notifications or need any of your cooking data (which is important to me). They are a great “free” option if you remember you get what you pay for! The Meater is the only thing in my arsenal that works with a rotisserie, and the iB is great for monitoring, consistent data collection and analysis, and you can export your data for use in a number of ways.
One final note: None of the devices were supplied to me for my review and I purchased each one on my own dime.

Last edited:
Waterboy,

I also have the inkBird and it has worked very well. I am 3 years into using it and it has been flawless. The wifi is rock steady and the alerts have never let me down. I just finished a cook for Friendsgiving (day after Turkey day) that consisted of brisket, two pork shoulders, a turkey and some miscellaneous sides. I used probes from RT, Meater, and the iB. The iB was the only true contender. The RT stopped tracking my cook (no data captured or recoverable) 3 hours into the cook. I consulted with RT and they still used the same excuse, our servers are overwhelmed. Goodness, I’ve heard that on every big cook day for several years. I had a flawless version of their software that was glitch free for the last 7 months and this time it forced me to update, which caused the problems in my opinion and was why I never did the update. The Meater had several probes go dormant during the cook due to a “lost signal” even though my network signal was consistently high and nothing moved (i.e,. base, probes, etc.). After a reboot and re-establishing the connection, about 12 hours into the cook the batteries expired in a couple of fully pre-charged probes. All the while, the iB kept chugging along. When I finished the cook and finally turned off the grill after 26 hours total run time, it was still showing 50% charge remaining. I got it at the discounted price and have never looked back!!! YMMV, good luck with your decision.
The IB connectivity and battery life is pretty impressive. My TW Signals does about the same, but costs significantly more. I use the Thermoworks stuff because of its quality, durability and customer service but the InkBird sounds like a good unit too.

My experience with the RT probe connectivity/alerts pretty much mirrors yours; unimpressive, to say the least.

Was just going to ask about the two provided temp probes that come with the 700. Mine haven't worked for months. Sounds like InkBird is the way to go.

I have the original Fireboard and it has been great. The reason I went with that over the Thermoworks is because it has 6 channels instead of 4. So I can have an upper grate and lower grate pit temp and 4 meat probes.

So it seems to me that a thermometer with wireless probes and wifi capabilities that will allow me to travel miles away is non-existant.
So a good wifi wired unit is my only option.

So a good wifi wired unit is my only option.
I suspect at some point someone will figure out some sort of repeater/relay to stick in the probe wire hole to carry a signal to/from the inside of a big metal box, but so far I haven't heard any rave reviews from the folks using Meater Block or similar Bluetooth to WiFi handoff solutions.

Meater Block uses Wifi, but does not appear to connect to a cloud service so you're basically just using WiFi to extend the range of Bluetooth around your house, but doesn't extend out into the public Internet like some of the other wired cloud solutions.

Meater Block uses Wifi, but does not appear to connect to a cloud service so you're basically just using WiFi to extend the range of Bluetooth around your house, but doesn't extend out into the public Internet like some of the other wired cloud solutions.
Do you have a MEATER Block? I don’t, but I have a MEATER+ and as long as I have a WiFi device (iOS) within Bluetooth range of the probe, I have the capabilities that @garmp is looking for. I was understanding that the WiFi on the Block still does this, but did away for the need for a second mobile/Bluetooth range device. LMK if I’m mistaken on this.

Also, take a look at the Combustion, Inc. wireless device. Hopefully shipping In December, it could blow all the other wireless thermometers away.

The RT WiFi on our Bull has worked once this whole time
It did show us all the info on that Cook, 30 miles from the House .... which was cool .... ONCE !
We do use the two RT Probes, and they do work every time, but that's not the point
SO, I bought the Signal and the Thermapen 1 when they were on sale a couple months back
I've used the T1 every cook since
BUT ... I haven't even read the Instruction on the Signal yet .... same on me ! 😮

As a footnote to my earlier post. The Meater has wifi and remote service through their servers. My contention with the device is that the signal from the probes to the base station/block are sketchy at best when using a cooker that is made out of 304SS and has any substantial thickness. (I have proven this deficiency on my Lynx Pro 36” and RT700 units during long cooks.) This combination acts like an ad-hoc Faraday cage killing the transmission or making it disconnect randomly. My main point is that you should research your specific configuration to determine if it works for you before you spend your hard earned cash. I have also heard Meater now has a disclaimer on their site about their products ability to work under certain conditions. Caveat Emptor!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back