Wifi Setup, iOS?

BoilerNick

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just got my RT-700 today and am attempting to set up the wifi. I am on the 2G channel of my dual band router, however when it gets to 100% it says is unable to connect. I had a similar issue with a Sonos product lately and it turned out to be an iOS 14 security issue. Anyone have a solution?

Just got my RT-700 today and am attempting to set up the wifi. I am on the 2G channel of my dual band router, however when it gets to 100% it says is unable to connect. I had a similar issue with a Sonos product lately and it turned out to be an iOS 14 security issue. Anyone have a solution?
Is your cell phone using 2.4 or 5 GHz? It may still be connected to your 5 GHz SSID. Change cell phone to your 2.4 SSID and then your Recteq WiFi should latch on then.

I'm connected to the 2.4, and temporarily had my phone "forget" the 5G
Can you disable the 5ghz channel on your router temporarily?

Looks like you're close to me if you need help. I may let the Purdue fan slide...go Hoosiers!

Can you disable the 5ghz channel on your router temporarily?

Looks like you're close to me if you need help. I may let the Purdue fan slide...go Hoosiers!
haha, I'll try that and might have to use your expertise, although who'd have thought, a Purdue fan asking an IU fan for engineering help

haha, I'll try that and might have to use your expertise, although who'd have thought, a Purdue fan asking an IU fan for engineering help
IU CIS grad minoring in IT and CS. I'm out by Thorpe Creek and have the 700 and the 380.

Alright, seems like our remedy did not work. I turned the 5Ghz service back on and last night went to fire it up only to find it was offline. I called Rectec and they suggested I call my provider and have them separate the channels. I thought they already were, but RT said the 5Ghz would still cause issues. Anyone have this problem?

Alright, seems like our remedy did not work. I turned the 5Ghz service back on and last night went to fire it up only to find it was offline. I called Rectec and they suggested I call my provider and have them separate the channels. I thought they already were, but RT said the 5Ghz would still cause issues. Anyone have this problem?
My wife had an old IPAD that uses 2.4 GHZ. I used it to setup my Stampede to my router. After it was all set up my 5 GHz Android phone works fine. I have heard that before asking the ISP to separate the channels. Let us know if your ISP will do that for you. Some routers the Guest access uses 2.4 GHz. See if your router can be changed to 2.4 GHz. My router the Guest setup also couldn't be changed to 2.4 GHz.

I had this problem. I think the dual band routers use the same SSID so the grill gets exposed to the 5g first. Many/most routers or ISP allow a Guest network which is usually 2.4 so try enabling that and use that network for the grill. Or I had to use a network extender to get good signal on the side of my house and that was 2.4 so never had problem after that

Had the same issue and found it was a weak signal to the grill because of short antenna. I extended my mesh network and solved the problem, but there are several post on the forum where RT-700 owners replaced their antennas with after market wifi antennas to solve the problem. If you can move the grill closer to the router and try it and it connects, my guess is you have a signal problem.

If you have a wifi hotspot (used mine from work) or set up one on your cell phone and then place it next to your grill and connect using it. I did this originally to get my Google wifi to recognize the grill and the hot spot connect almost immediately. You may have to temporarily shut off you home wifi to test this, but it eliminates one more variable for you.

It is probably not your router. I have a google mesh wifi network and it would not originally connect to RT700. I had to rename my verizon hot spot with the same SSID as my google wifi guest network including password to match to make the original connection. Turn off your router and connect using the hot spot (can use a phone to do the same thing). If your connection is successful then restart your router and try to connect. If it does not connect you problem is most likely the range of the short wifi antenna. If you can roll your grill closer to your router and it connects you have a signal problem. I extended my network using an outdoor wifi cabinet, but several on this forum replaced the antenna with a longer version they picked up from Amazon.

It is probably not your router. I have a google mesh wifi network and it would not originally connect to RT700. I had to rename my verizon hot spot with the same SSID as my google wifi guest network including password to match to make the original connection. Turn off your router and connect using the hot spot (can use a phone to do the same thing). If your connection is successful then restart your router and try to connect. If it does not connect you problem is most likely the range of the short wifi antenna. If you can roll your grill closer to your router and it connects you have a signal problem. I extended my network using an outdoor wifi cabinet, but several on this forum replaced the antenna with a longer version they picked up from Amazon.
So does all cell phone hot spots use 2.4 GHz only?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back