WiFi not connecting

captainstan

I just came across an issue where my RT700 won't connect to my wifi. It had no issues at all for over 2 years now, and just suddenly won't connect. Grill hasn't moved and neither has the router, no power surges/outages or anything. The indicator light will blink (if I hold it for 5 sec slow and then fast when holding it again). Everything works on the grill just fine except the wifi now. I have redownloaded the app, tried 2.4ghz connect, made sure the location and everything was enabled and nothing has worked. App just says that the grill is offline. Not sure what else I can try.

I just came across an issue where my RT700 won't connect to my wifi. It had no issues at all for over 2 years now, and just suddenly won't connect. Grill hasn't moved and neither has the router, no power surges/outages or anything. The indicator light will blink (if I hold it for 5 sec slow and then fast when holding it again). Everything works on the grill just fine except the wifi now. I have redownloaded the app, tried 2.4ghz connect, made sure the location and everything was enabled and nothing has worked. App just says that the grill is offline. Not sure what else I can try.
You can try calling Recteq customer service.

I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago. First time it happened in 2 years with my RT-590. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, & went through the same steps you did. I finally unplugged my router and restarted it, and somehow the connection to my grill kicked back in. I'm no IT computer expert, so no idea why that worked, but hopefully it'll be something simple like that for you. Good luck!

I would agree with above. I'm not going to call myself an expert but I do work as an IT Engineer. A complete recyle of your router and(if you have one) wi fi router(they maybe the same box). I would leave it unplugged for 3 minutes and plug everything back in.

Sounds dumb but also make sure you are putting in the correct password.

The RecTeq IT guy is pretty good and could walk you through anything you need so if you can't figure out on your own, I would definitely give them a call.

Remember the RT-700 has to connect to 2.4 ghz and can't connect to the combined 2.4 and 5.8 ghz networks, they have to be separated. Unless you have a very new RT-700 which may support dual band now, I'm not sure. I know the RT-1500 does now.

I would agree with above. I'm not going to call myself an expert but I do work as an IT Engineer. A complete recyle of your router and(if you have one) wi fi router(they maybe the same box). I would leave it unplugged for 3 minutes and plug everything back in.

The RecTeq IT guy is pretty good and could walk you through anything you need so if you can't figure out on your own, I would definitely give them a call.

Remember the RT-700 has to connect to 2.4 ghz and can't connect to the combined 2.4 and 5.8 ghz networks, they have to be separated. Unless you have a very new RT-700 which may support dual band now, I'm not sure. I know the RT-1500 does now.

I will try out the total reboot. There hasn't been any change in my router/modem which has been the combined networks, so not sure what happened at all. There's also no option to put in a password on the grill, just connected automatically (even if I did ever lose power or have to reboot my router). Anyway I will be trying that out and if that doesn't work I'll be calling customer support.

I'm no IT computer expert...
1673287188336.png

No claim to be an IT professional but I did play one for halloween and scared the crap out of my neighbors, lol. I am however an aerospace engineering with a degree in EE and I used to do custom installations for high tech companies “once upon a time”. Barring any weirdness like sunspots, neighbors with blocking devices (yes, that is a thing), and other factors, I have noticed that if your router is set to select its channel(s) automatically, it can/may periodically pick a channel that is outside of the range the RTs can use for communication. As a rule, I perform a site survey of any existing 2.4ghz (and 5ghz) signals and make sure to select one that is not occupied. Also, if you pick a channel above 8, and you have any spurious signals in the area, say goodbye to your connection or as a minimum prepare for signal strength loss. I especially like one client’s problem that included interference from their microwave (pretty hard to track down since it was only run when I wasn’t around) and they installed a bunch of LED ceiling bulbs and used a legacy incandescent light dimmer switches. Not only did it interfere with their reception of low band (i.e., 2-11) OTA VHF TV channels, but it would knock half of their access points off line. The funny solution was to turn the dimmer switches to full “on” and the problem would go away. I didn’t scope the RF emitted from the dimmers but suspect in the lower settings, the resistor network in the switch was noisy enough with the lowered wattage demand lights to create a lot of signal noise. One final little jewel is for those with fluorescent tube lighting. The ballasts on those puppies is extremely “noisy” and if/when going bad, they spread EMI like crazy. If you have one that is buzzing, I suggest you test your connections with it in the off position.

Let us know what you find out as I am certainly curious.

No claim to be an IT professional but I did play one for halloween and scared the crap out of my neighbors, lol. I am however an aerospace engineering with a degree in EE and I used to do custom installations for high tech companies “once upon a time”. Barring any weirdness like sunspots, neighbors with blocking devices (yes, that is a thing), and other factors, I have noticed that if your router is set to select its channel(s) automatically, it can/may periodically pick a channel that is outside of the range the RTs can use for communication. As a rule, I perform a site survey of any existing 2.4ghz (and 5ghz) signals and make sure to select one that is not occupied. Also, if you pick a channel above 8, and you have any spurious signals in the area, say goodbye to your connection or as a minimum prepare for signal strength loss. I especially like one client’s problem that included interference from their microwave (pretty hard to track down since it was only run when I wasn’t around) and they installed a bunch of LED ceiling bulbs and used a legacy incandescent light dimmer switches. Not only did it interfere with their reception of low band (i.e., 2-11) OTA VHF TV channels, but it would knock half of their access points off line. The funny solution was to turn the dimmer switches to full “on” and the problem would go away. I didn’t scope the RF emitted from the dimmers but suspect in the lower settings, the resistor network in the switch was noisy enough with the lowered wattage demand lights to create a lot of signal noise. One final little jewel is for those with fluorescent tube lighting. The ballasts on those puppies is extremely “noisy” and if/when going bad, they spread EMI like crazy. If you have one that is buzzing, I suggest you test your connections with it in the off position.

Let us know what you find out as I am certainly curious.
Good info. Thanks

The RecTeq "IT" guy I spoke with was the most condescending semi-literate biped that I have dealt with in a long time. I am still, 6 months later, without connection because the thought of getting on the phone again makes my blood pressure move to the "oh my God he is having a stroke" range. I have tried the reset thing and peruse this site to try the ideas that come up but nothing has worked for me. Thanks for letting me vent.

I had the same issue after a software update from and like MannyDog I finally recycled my modem and the WIFI connected immediately!

If you haven't already, try deleting (all) the older RecTec App(s), and downloading their newest version
We've had our Bull for a couple years now
And in all that time, we've only had the WiFi (really) work once .... until the other day
Momma deleted their older App(s) and download the newest version this last Monday
So far, it's still working .... perfectly !
An all-time record 🥳
Just my $0.02

Blowing away all the RecTeq apps to clear any old "debris" is a great idea. I am not sure how thoroughly cell phones clear their cache when an app is deleted, but hopefully it is complete.

At one time I made the doofus move to have my RT-590 connected to the 2.5 GHz channel while trying to run the app from my Android phone connected to the 5.0 GHz channel. Not surprisingly this didn't work. DUH!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back