Stampede Wifi Issues

tjenvy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Update at bottom****

I am starting this to track and document my issues and or solutions so that others may not have them or it helps them in the future.

October 2020, Initial RT-590 purchase, could not connect to wifi, took 3 hours of trying over and over, restart network etc.
Network at the time Apple Router

New router, Google wifi
-took hours to re-conenct again. Every 3/4th cook, grill is offline and have to go through the whole thing again to reconnect.

New router Nighthawk AX aWifi 6
-now have a dedicated 2.4 guest made entirely just for the grill alone. took hours to reconnect it as well.
-drops every few smokes as well.
-New app upgrade, cant get it to connect. Shows blinking fast > solid, but not in app. Hours later, nighthawk tells me a device is on the network, look in App, its there. *weird*

The new Saga:
October 10th, grill offline, remove can no longer re-connect.
Light blinks fast, never changes, eventually new app states cant connect.
--reboot router, nope
--unplug/plug grill, nope
--restart modem, nope
--test non dedicated network to main 2.4 network, nope
--activate and test on ISP modem/.router combo 2.4, nope

Support states need to get an extender, not happening this amount of money for a grill and for the router, no, somethings wrong.

No matter what happens upon power on off or reboots, grill always gets a new IP address, even though its not in the app.
--can ping the ip and get responses back
--blocked MAC address, and unblock, new IP, same thing

Support calls back, states its the AX and to change my network to AC, Why in the HELL would I do that defeats the purpose of upgrading the network.
Support call back, now its a possible firewall, nope
Support calls back, now sending new controller for testing and return label to test mine on their network.

All in all this is just absurd to go through. Their app provides no detailed logging that can be collected, no diagnostics, no way to reset the grill wifi controller (per support)

No one can still explain to me how the grill lis "not connecting" but yet pulls an IP address every time it powers on....

10/15/21. New controller board paired instantly with my network. We shall see if it lasts but the old one never paired that fast ever.

Last edited:
Update at bottom****

I am starting this to track and document my issues and or solutions so that others may not have them or it helps them in the future.

October 2020, Initial RT-590 purchase, could not connect to wifi, took 3 hours of trying over and over, restart network etc.
Network at the time Apple Router

New router, Google wifi
-took hours to re-conenct again. Every 3/4th cook, grill is offline and have to go through the whole thing again to reconnect.

New router Nighthawk AX aWifi 6
-now have a dedicated 2.4 guest made entirely just for the grill alone. took hours to reconnect it as well.
-drops every few smokes as well.
-New app upgrade, cant get it to connect. Shows blinking fast > solid, but not in app. Hours later, nighthawk tells me a device is on the network, look in App, its there. *weird*

The new Saga:
October 10th, grill offline, remove can no longer re-connect.
Light blinks fast, never changes, eventually new app states cant connect.
--reboot router, nope
--unplug/plug grill, nope
--restart modem, nope
--test non dedicated network to main 2.4 network, nope
--activate and test on ISP modem/.router combo 2.4, nope

Support states need to get an extender, not happening this amount of money for a grill and for the router, no, somethings wrong.

No matter what happens upon power on off or reboots, grill always gets a new IP address, even though its not in the app.
--can ping the ip and get responses back
--blocked MAC address, and unblock, new IP, same thing

Support calls back, states its the AX and to change my network to AC, Why in the HELL would I do that defeats the purpose of upgrading the network.
Support call back, now its a possible firewall, nope
Support calls back, now sending new controller for testing and return label to test mine on their network.

All in all this is just absurd to go through. Their app provides no detailed logging that can be collected, no diagnostics, no way to reset the grill wifi controller (per support)

No one can still explain to me how the grill lis "not connecting" but yet pulls an IP address every time it powers on....

10/15/21. New controller board paired instantly with my network. We shall see if it lasts but the old one never paired that fast ever.
I was very pleased with the original wifi software. It always came up connected (after the first time), and was easy to read and adjust. The temp chart page was also easy to read and control. I thought maybe the new wifi was just an improvement on the old. What a disappointment!. First is was difficult to set up and I have had to reset it a couple of times in the past month. The main page is not as easy to see or adjust and the temp record page is also more difficult to adjust and read. I am a firm believer in the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" concept. I now have it working but am not confident that I won't have to reset it again. My advice to Recteq: Trash the new wifi and go back to the old one. OR, fix it better!!! Feel free to correct me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back