Wi fi thermometers

Yes, I got that text too. So it it retailing $199.00 and I get the $40 off also. It is tempting....my text says expired June 30th. I was kind of hoping to hear some real world use from Greg before pulling the trigger.

But back to my post from before - appears you should be getting yours soon Greg as this would be the next batch of them and the June batch was NOT pushed back. They probably just offer to only the people who signed up until they offer on the actual website to the public.

So I'm gonna think about it. If Greg or anyone else gets one soon, please post your experience.

As soon as I hear that mine has shipped or that it has arrived, rest assured I will comment on it. I perhaps shouldn’t be, but I’ll admit I am truly excited about this product. I really like the MEATER probe, but I think the Combustion will be next level.

Am interested in wi fi thermometers. Would appreciate opinions on which is the best and which is best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance!
I have the inkBird iBBQ-T4 and it has served me well. It is a 4 channel, the app allows for temp tracking, and it had/has a great price point. I had to replace 2 of the probes because the were immersed in water overnight (major no-no). But replacement parts are relatively inexpensive.

So as an update, mine did not ship in June and now the Combustion web page says shipping September 2022. I understand shipping delays, especially in these times, but I am disappointed that there has been no email communication to say that shipping dates have slipped.

So as an update, mine did not ship in June and now the Combustion web page says shipping September 2022. I understand shipping delays, especially in these times, but I am disappointed that there has been no email communication to say that shipping dates have slipped.
Agreed, especially since they’ve already charged our credit cards.

I'm in the same boat. I ordered a few months ago and did not receive any updates. I was just about to ask Greg, as I think he ordered first. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I ordered February 3, got the confirmation email, and that’s the last I’ve heard from them. I’m not concerned at this point and Chris Young has so much credibility, so I’ll wait mostly patiently! 😁

I’m guessing that the Combustion units are made in China (like most everything else these days) and I know it is difficult right now to get things manufactured and shipped from there. It sounds like an interesting product, but I’ll stick with my proven Thermoworks Signals and ThermaPen.

I’m guessing that the Combustion units are made in China (like most everything else these days) and I know it is difficult right now to get things manufactured and shipped from there. It sounds like an interesting product, but I’ll stick with my proven Thermoworks Signals and ThermaPen.
Don’t know where it’s made, but what isn’t made in China these days? I look at the Thermapen (and I have more than one of them) as a different product category altogether, but the wireless meat thermometers will sooner or later, likely replace the wired probes from the grill manufacturers and the aftermarket companies like Firebird and ThermoWorks and their clones.

I’ve no experience with the Firebird products, but I have a house full of ThermoWorks products and I love them all, but frankly I’m suprised they haven’t released a wireless product yet. Meanwhile, it’s no surprise that Traeger purchased MEATER (I have one of those also) and they now ship them with their top of the line grills). The fact that wireless probes have multiple sensors and predictive cooking times (at which the MEATER currently sucks) and they don’t require Internet access to monitor the cooks makes them superior in many ways to wired probes. Not to mention that a wired probe will never work on a rotisserie! The one exception I can think where wired is an advantage is a wireless probe will not (currently) work inside a covered cast iron pot.

On a whim, I contacted Thermoworks and asked if they were developing a wireless probe unit similar to Meater, Yummly and Combustion. Here’s the salient part of the response

“We have yet to develop one that we can stand behind. We are constantly in the process of development, on many products. You can be sure, as soon as we are able to develop this item, we will be notifying everyone.”

Unfortunately, not as hopeful as I would have liked, but I understand their cautious response. Eventually, it would seem that TW will need to go down that road or start losing market share. They make quality products and I appreciate the stance of not bringing a product to the marketplace that they can’t stand behind.

In addition to the utility and convenience of wireless probes, Combustion, Inc. had me at the word “indestructible-ish.” I had 4 of my Signals meat probes fail, despite following usage and care instructions to the word. While this may not be common, the idea of not having to be as careful with them- possibly even throwing them in the dishwasher- is a major selling point for me.

Last edited:
In addition to the utility and convenience of wireless probes, Combustion, Inc. had me at the word “indestructible-ish.” I had 4 of my Signals meat probes fail, despite following usage and care instructions to the word. While this may not be common, the idea of not having to be as careful with them- possibly even throwing them in the dishwasher- is a major selling point for me.
That was a selling point for my better half. She can also use these probes for her cooking adventures with reduced risk of breaking them. This helped me sell it as our toy instead of just my smoker toy. We ordered the double set, so we can both play.

I had 4 of my Signals meat probes fail, despite following usage and care instructions to the word. While this may not be common...
I've gone through my fair share of Thermoworks probes. Thermoworks replaced a few when I complained, but I suspect I kinked the wires on a few. One I sheared clean off when it got caught behind the front shelf. A dedicated wire cutter could not have cut cleaner.

My first clue on a bad probe is when the temperature starts dropping when still in a piece of cooking meat. I did an ice bath test on a couple of suspect probes and recorded 19 degrees! That was a clue.

I use and like Thermoworks. IF the probes go bad (they all do), if you are still under warranty they usually replace them at no charge.

I use and like Thermoworks. IF the probes go bad (they all do), if you are still under warranty they usually replace them at no charge.
Yep, they were under warranty for 6 months. I suspect there was a problematic batch of probes.

The probes were carefully unpackaged by me and one only worked for 3 hours before getting an HH error message. One stopped working after 2 cooks and read over 200 degrees in an ice bath. One worked for one cook and read under -20 degrees at room temperature. One was kinked when it was packaged and the twist tie was placed on it in the factory. It never worked (another HH error).

There was no kinking, pinching, rough handling, or exposure to anything (hot surfaces, water, etc.) on my part. They were all sent back to the company and replaced, but it was a pain in the butt, and they seem like it’s not hard to damage them if I do have an accident in the future. Oddly enough, my Signals ambient probe and Recteq probes are all still working perfectly.

Again, I like ThermoWorks, and I think there was a bad batch, because they’re all working okay now, but I’m ready to try something different.

Last edited:
Yep, they were under warranty for 6 months. I suspect there was a problematic batch of probes.
Like this?
1657893434335.png

I received an email yesterday with an update on delivery and their current development status. Keeping my fingers crossed for September.

I received an email yesterday with an update on delivery and their current development status. Keeping my fingers crossed for September.
Yes, hopefully they can get the seals manufactured the way they need to be. At least it appears that they’re using their time delay wisely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back