Wi fi thermometers

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Am interested in wi fi thermometers. Would appreciate opinions on which is the best and which is best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance!

If you watch you can score a good deal on a Inkbird. I paid $50 with deals.

I really don't use it very often but it works very well when I do. I typically don't rely on the factory probes or a device to tell me when something is ready. I usually monitor with my Thermopen and have an idea where things are and try to be a part of the cook. But it is there when I can't which is not really often.

I have a ThermoWorks Signals, too. The actual unit and app are great. A gust of wind even blew the thermometer off of the shelf and onto the concrete, and there wasn’t a scratch on it. It’s also accidentally experienced a brief amount of time in a pop up rainstorm with no issues.

The probes are another story. I think I got a bad batch, because all 4 of the probes failed for different reasons, despite the fact that I completely babied them. I carefully wiped them to clean them, never pinched or kinked them, and never let the probes come into contact with any hot surfaces. One probe errored out right out of the box. ThermoWorks had me mail them all back for testing. Hopefully that was an isolated batch, because things seem to be working currently, and the unit works well otherwise.

I have the original Fireboard before the 2 came out. Would rather have had the 2 but not a huge deal since I use my phone most of the time anyways. I haven't had any issues with it other than frying 4 probes in a grease fire, but that is 100% my fault. I just throw the probes into the dishwasher when I am done using it and haven't had any issues with any of them.

Fireboard2 is pretty amazing, really great app and with the addition of the spark it's extremely handy to remotely monitor cooks.

I have a ThermoWorks Signals, too. The actual unit and app are great. A gust of wind even blew the thermometer off of the shelf and onto the concrete, and there wasn’t a scratch on it. It’s also accidentally experienced a brief amount of time in a pop up rainstorm with no issues.

The probes are another story. I think I got a bad batch, because all 4 of the probes failed for different reasons, despite the fact that I completely babied them. I carefully wiped them to clean them, never pinched or kinked them, and never let the probes come into contact with any hot surfaces. One probe errored out right out of the box. ThermoWorks had me mail them all back for testing. Hopefully that was an isolated batch, because things seem to be working currently, and the unit works well otherwise.
This happened to me too! I had a Signals but the probes kept failing even though I took perfect care of them, had 4 or 5 go bad. I switched to Meater and have loved it - the wireless is pretty awesome, and if you get the Meater Block it has wifi and works perfectly. Great app too.

Am interested in wi fi thermometers. Would appreciate opinions on which is the best and which is best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance!
Inkbird is a very good bang for the buck and works well. I think mine was around $50 for a wireless unit with 4 probes on Amazon. I’ve since switched to using Meater which I received for Christmas, and now mostly use that as it is truly wireless since even the probe has no wire.

I have had the Inkbird for two years now and it has been spot on temp wise and at a good price!

I'm torn between the Inkbird and the Meater. I LOVE the idea of a true wireless meat thermometer but is it worth 6X as much as the Inkbird? I would want the Heater with 4 probes. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I'm torn between the Inkbird and the Meater. I LOVE the idea of a true wireless meat thermometer but is it worth 6X as much as the Inkbird? I would want the Heater with 4 probes. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

You have to answer that one :) .. You know what they say.. buy once, cry once.

I have Inkbird and it works incredible for the $. But.. true wireless would be a really nice feature. Only you can decide that if your budget will allow.

I never intended to be a bbq thermometer collector, but sadly that’s where I am. I have the ThermoWorks Smoke, Signals, DOT, Blue DOT, Square DOT, and ChefAlarm. I also have the MEATER+ and I find myself using it most of the time now. It’s a pretty slick device, and the WiFi Block version you are considering would be sweet. Another wireless option coming this summer is This One from Combustion.

Have a Meater and like it but when doing steaks, I have to remove it before searing them at the end, because of heat exceeding 500*. I have recently acquired a Thermoworks instant probe that gives results in 2-3 seconds (usually 2), and have just used it instead. Of course I have to check the steak (open the grill) more often. So? How high does the Inkster allow?

Have a Meater and like it but when doing steaks, I have to remove it before searing them at the end, because of heat exceeding 500*. I have recently acquired a Thermoworks instant probe that gives results in 2-3 seconds (usually 2), and have just used it instead. Of course I have to check the steak (open the grill) more often. So? How high does the Inkster allow?
From the description of a $99 4 probe wifi Inkbird on Amazon:”The short time measurement ranges 32℉~572℉ (0℃ to 300℃), and the continuous monitoring range: 32℉~482℉ (0℃ to 250℃)”.

I never intended to be a bbq thermometer collector, but sadly that’s where I am. I have the ThermoWorks Smoke, Signals, DOT, Blue DOT, Square DOT, and ChefAlarm. I also have the MEATER+ and I find myself using it most of the time now. It’s a pretty slick device, and the WiFi Block version you are considering would be sweet. Another wireless option coming this summer is This One from Combustion.
The one from Combustion looks pretty nice. I don't know that I need it, but I just had to join their wait list. Something tells me "want" will force me to buy it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back