Wi-Fi light status?

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
What does it mean when the wi-fi light is on steady? I have a tri-tip on and, as usual, the Recteq app won’t connect to either of two iPhones or an iPad. I go through the setup procedure, holding the button until I get a flashing wi-fi light, then attempt to connect. Sometimes, the wi-fi light goes out and sometimes it goes to a steady-on state. In neither case, do I get a connect.

I was thinking that the steady-on state indicates a connection between the grill and the network. Not so? Sure is aggravating going through this hit-miss process. I only get a connect about 20% of the time; the bulk of the time, I just revert to using my ThermoWorks Signals unit. Since RT offers the wi-fi connection, you’d think it might work more than once-in-a-while.

Here's what their support page says:

Fast Blink:

When the light is blinking 2x a second, it is ready to be connected. The fast blink doesn’t do anything aside from awaiting a connection process. This is always the state you want when starting a connection process.

Slow Blink:

The slower blink (1 blink per 2 seconds) is mainly used to verify antenna strength, along with finding the MAC address of the controller. You will never be able to successfully connect a grill while the state is at a slow blink.
To find the MAC address, navigate to >Settings>Wi-Fi and you should see a network with the name ‘Smart Life’. Tap on the information button on the right side of the network, and you will see a listed MAC Address, along with signal strength. (The light must be in a slow blink)

Off:

Whenever you see the red light is not active at all, the Wi-Fi indicator button will need to be held for ~5 seconds to achieve a blinking state. If the light starts blinking, and it’s not the state you need, simply hold the button for another ~5 seconds and it will change accordingly.

Solid:

Successful Connection

Thanks for that, @Pacman; that’s what I thought. So, I’ve had a steady wi-fi light on for the last hour and the app says ”disconnected.” Now what? Frustrating.

I guess I will delete the app and re-install—for the umpteenth time—to see if it will re-connect. My cook will be over by the time I get this done. Oh well!

Thanks, again, for your help.

Update: I’m beginning to think I may have a bad board as, today, the RT-340 is cycling between 200 F (set point) and about 265 F. I haven’t noticed this problem until today.

The only other thing that has changed since the last cook is that I opened a new bag of RT Ultimate pellets and did notice that some of them are pretty long; 1” plus. Actually, I did refill the hopper from this new bag near the end of the last cook (12-hour brisket) and did have an auger jam that I was able to clear.

I think when I finish this cook, I will vacuum our all of the RT Ultimates and try a bag of Bear Mountain Hickory that I just picked up today to see if that might eliminate the temperature unevenness.

If it ain’t one thing, it is another. Looking pretty hard at the MAK Two-Star General. :rolleyes:

Jim I have my Trailblazer set at minimum feed rate during the warm months. Helps keep the temp more constant on hot days or when in the sun.

Out of all the quirks I have had with my 700, I can honestly say I have never had any issue with wifi.. absolutely 0 troubles and always connects. Given that, suggest working with support to resolve and if you suspect a board maybe push to exchange it or find out what they say with your issue. Not sure what your distance is to the router so that could be something to look at with an extender if questionable.

Out of all the quirks I have had with my 700, I can honestly say I have never had any issue with wifi.. absolutely 0 troubles and always connects. Given that, suggest working with support to resolve and if you suspect a board maybe push to exchange it or find out what they say with your issue. Not sure what your distance is to the router so that could be something to look at with an extender if questionable.
That's because you haven't updated the controller firmware.

Thanks, @sdynak. Just to flesh out a couple of details; the dedicated 2.4 GHz router is about 35’ from the grill and the 2.4 GHz extender is about 15’ from the grill. My iPad shows good signal strength at the grill position when connected to the same router/extender. And, I usually get the steady red wi-fi light on the grill, indicating connection. Additionally, I have deleted and reloaded the app several times, including yesterday.

So, as you say, it is time to call RT but, with the 3-hour time difference, it isn’t always convenient to do so. I’ll make time next week to give them a call.

Nice resource. If I were in the market for a new pellet grill today, the Yoder YS640 and the Pitts & Spitts would be the only two grills on my list, with the Yoder probably being the one I would buy.
Nice resource, indeed. As for the Pitts & Spitts, it is a nice grill but made in the soon-to-be-independent nation of Texas, so don’t know if anyone will be importing them. :rolleyes:

IMO, the Yoder is a solid grill, but maybe a little too “solid” for me; they are heavy beasts. And the lack of stainless steel is a negative for grills used in the rainy Pacific Northwest. I like pretty much everything I see and hear about the MAK, except—possibly—the price. A bit spendy for a small grill, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks, @sdynak. Just to flesh out a couple of details; the dedicated 2.4 GHz router is about 35’ from the grill and the 2.4 GHz extender is about 15’ from the grill. My iPad shows good signal strength at the grill position when connected to the same router/extender. And, I usually get the steady red wi-fi light on the grill, indicating connection. Additionally, I have deleted and reloaded the app several times, including yesterday.

So, as you say, it is time to call RT but, with the 3-hour time difference, it isn’t always convenient to do so. I’ll make time next week to give them a call.

Really strange.. and just to mention mine has always been on iPhone also. Something is not right, so I guess best to get them when convenient. It is not an inherent issue that I know of. Thinking the only way to rule out the controller is to replace it.

Jim;

I know you probably have done this, but make sure your phone is not on 5GHz while the grill is on 2.5GHz

My phone likes to connect to the strongest signal which is 5 GHz inside while the grill is locked in to 2.5GHz by design.

Just a thought.

TD

Jim;

I know you probably have done this, but make sure your phone is not on 5GHz while the grill is on 2.5GHz

My phone likes to connect to the strongest signal which is 5 GHz inside while the grill is locked in to 2.5GHz by design.

Just a thought.

TD
Thanks. Yes, I have a dedicated 2.4 GHz network that I use for things like my grill, ThermoWorks Signals, sprinkler controller, etc. I have an older iPhone 6S that I use just for controlling the RT-340 and ThermoWorks Signals, and it is always on that 2.4 GHz network. And, I do check. The Signals app works just fine on it; the RT-340 app does not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back