WI-FI Connection Issues with a solution

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I got my new RT 590 week before last. Got is assembled and tried to hook up the WI-FI app. No joy! Struggled for some time to no avail. Called and left a message at Recteq. They called me back at almost 3:00 their time and tried to help. The individual that called was not able to solve the problem, but he said that the WI-FI guru would call me back even though it would be after hour. He did, but was still not able to solve the problem. I give Recteq a A+ for going the extra mile. I give myself a D- for not reading and thinking things through. Hopefully the solutions I found will help someone else avoid the issue.

Problem 1.
The setup instructions on the Recteq site state in part “*Create a personal account for the recteq grills app. Note: This will be a separate, stand-alone account for the recteq app; your web account won't have access or any bearing on the app account.” This means exactally what it says. No matter how many times you try to log in with the name and password you use for the web, it won’t work. You MUST create a new account for the grill. After re-reading the instructions several times, I finally figured this out. Fortunately, this was before the Wi-Fi guru called back.

Problem 2.

Got to the point where you pick a network and the app says no network. It can’t be a signal problem because I and on the network on my phone and the signal is good. Right? Wrong. Even though the WI-FI connection is less that 30 feet from the grill, It has to pass through 2 walls and is behind the grill. Long story short, I got w WI-FI extender, hooked it up near the grill. Picked my network, entered the correct password and just like that all was solved.

I hope that this information will prove useful to someone.

The happy new owner of a Recteq RT-590!

Glad you got it solved. I wouldn't be surprised if wi-fi issues isn't their top CS problem. A bad signal is probably the bulk of the issues. I have a Orbi system and a satellite by the window next to the patio so once I get a recteq, connecting shouldn't be an issue, I HOPE. It does amaze me that I had wi-fi issues on the patio before putting the satellite in that area but I could connect to my bluetooth thermometer without any issues from upstairs, which put me further away than the wi-fi router.

Ok. Here's my tale of frustration.

I had the Bull for a year and change. I had no problem setting the app up back when I got it. Worked fine but for the same issues others had about alarm set points. They updated the app a couple times since then. I updated along the way and stayed connected.

Recently, I must have pulled the antenna apart with the cover. It was just a stub of wire. I noted the remote app wasn't working a few smokes ago. No biggie. I went manual control.

Today, I was determined to get the app connected again after cleaning up the grill from a few smokes.

I had a replacement antenna and installed it. I checked the circuit board to ensure the wire was still connected from the connector to the board. By the way, if you remove the cover to the controller, under the shelf, don't forget to unplug the smoker. Ask me what 120v feels like. 🤯

I loaded up the revision V1.6.6 and went thru the mating routine and it kept bouncing me with "no connection". I'm on a Frontier Fios 2.4 Ghz router and it can be weak out on the patio. I loaded a signal strength app in my phone and it showed -70 ish. So, I recalled I had bought a Netgear Nighthawk X6S 5Ghz router a while back (year?). It boasted more range on 2.4 Ghz as well as the speed in the 5Ghz capabilities. I went thru the setup of that and tested it on our phones and tablets. I ran speed tests and internet usage. Everything was fine

I went into the Recteq app again and went thru the mating routine and got the same "No connection ".
I went back and checked the connection strength at the location of the Bull again. It was strong and my phone was connected on that frequency.

Finally, I uninstalled the Recteq app and reloaded it again...same V 1.6.6 version. I tried it again and it loaded up and connected just fine. I checked it a few times and it works great.

If you are still having trouble, try uninstalling the Recteq app completely from your device and reload it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back