Why do you leave it on the grill after brisket is wrapped?

SeattleDon

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
After I wrap a brisket, I've started putting it in a drip pan (butcher paper or foil) and putting in my gas oven at 250F or 275F. I have two oven probes that show oven temp and probe temp, so I can monitor the consistency of the cook. It has been pretty consistent oven temp and takes about the same amount of time.
My question is - why burn 4-6 hours of pellets when you can just put it in the oven? Seems more cost efficient - what's the difference?
Thanks!
Don

After I wrap a brisket, I've started putting it in a drip pan (butcher paper or foil) and putting in my gas oven at 250F or 275F. I have two oven probes that show oven temp and probe temp, so I can monitor the consistency of the cook. It has been pretty consistent oven temp and takes about the same amount of time.
My question is - why burn 4-6 hours of pellets when you can just put it in the oven? Seems more cost efficient - what's the difference?
Thanks!
Don
Why heat up the house 🤷‍♂️

i don’t think there is a difference. oven is just fine. i just do it because i enjoy sitting out back with the smoke and a cold drink. i grill stuff all the time that i know would make more sense to do in the oven, i just like grilling. i have made biscuits and cakes and many pizzas on the grill. all of which would have been just as good or maybe better in our oven. the grills just fun

I cook my briskets in 4-6 hours sometimes. Then I the oven on low for hours to hold.

why burn 4-6 hours of pellets when you can just put it in the oven?
I flip that a little, and say "Why put this in the oven, when I could put it on the 590 (or Bullseye)?" I litterally LOOK for things/reasons to cook on the RT. I probably take it too far. But if I can keep a few degrees out of the house in a Louisiana summer (especially after a cruel "Witch with a B" like IDA comes to visit) I consider it a win. If it is even a maybe, I am trying it on the RT before the oven.

The only time I will finish off in the house is in the winter when its colder outside and I want to aid in heating the kitchen. However , 225-275 isn't all that hot to aid in the heating process.

I much prefer to be outside, especially in the Fall time cooking with a brew or two than in the kitchen.

The only time I will finish off in the house is in the winter when its colder outside and I want to aid in heating the kitchen. However , 225-275 isn't all that hot to aid in the heating process.

I much prefer to be outside, especially in the Fall time cooking with a brew or two than in the kitchen.
Makes perfect sense to me (y)

Last edited:

definitely agree! i will take being on the deck with smoke puffing with a frosty can of bud and watching deer with my binoculars over cooking inside watching tv.

Well, I live in NM and I grill year round (barring raging snow or thunderstorm), but the less heat I can add into the house (esp. during the summer) is a plus.

Thanks!
Don
I always finish mine in the stove during the winter, when it's too cold to sit out. But in the summer, it's in the smoker all day. Haven't ever noticed any difference.

The wife can't count how many beers I drink when I finish it in the smoker :)
Perfect answer!!!
I've always loved to show-off my "TOYS"
The more Smoke I can send my Neighbour's way, the more it makes them want to buy a Smoker of their own :devilish: ;)
I have so much fun doing the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back