Bullseye Why did you buy your Bullseye?

We'reSmokin'Now

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
While I wait for my RT-590 to arrive, I am shopping around for a second grill.

In the past I've always had a Kettle, and a gasser for that quick "I-feel-like-a-burger-but-don't-want-to-wait" weeknight after a long day at work.
Rec Tec claims " the RT-B380 Bullseye makes all other grills obsolete". Does it, really?

So back to my question: what made you decide to go with the Bullseye? What do you use it for? Grilling, searing? Does it replace the need to have a gasser? Is it good for a quick cook?

Sorry, I guess that was more than just one question....:unsure:

I would appreciate your input.

Grill on!

In the past I've always had a Kettle, and a gasser for that quick "I-feel-like-a-burger-but-don't-want-to-wait" weeknight after a long day at work.
Rec Tec claims " the RT-B380 Bullseye makes all other grills obsolete". Does it, really?

So back to my question: what made you decide to go with the Bullseye? What do you use it for? Grilling, searing? Does it replace the need to have a gasser? Is it good for a quick cook?

Grill on!
I have heard the answer to all your questions is yes. Plus there is no grease drip pan and bucket to have to contend with. I am really excited and can't wait to try it out. That is why I ordered one.

I don't have anything against a Bullseye, nor do I own one, and likely won't. Polling those that have one already might not give you all the info you might desire because of confirmation bias. All that said, the description of it is compelling. That is, if, you want only the flavor profile that pellets provide.

You may want to ask yourself if in rounding out your equipment you might be better served by a charcoal fueled device. Since you "had" a kettle you're familiar with charcoal use and are less likely to be swayed by folks who are either overly enthusiastic or negative about the charcoal experience. Same with gas. They each (all three fuel systems discussed so far) have their pluses and minuses.

Of late I've been recommending for those who want a versatile charcoal experience without busting the budget or eating up too much deck/patio/yard space to look into the Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. It is both an excellent smoker (barrel type) with all the wonders that owner of bullets and small barrels extol, and it easily converts to a grill with the hardware supplied. They're very well built and only suffer from lack of portability because of weight/size..............both of which also have significant positive trade offs. List is only $300, and at clearance time, Wally World has had them on sale for as low as $84...........ridiculously cheap for what you get. It's good value at list, so any price in that range is good. People on here spend a young ton on gizmos to try to coax additional smoke flavor into their pellet grills, while something like this is out there for the same or only slightly more in cost, and with a ton more versatility built in. Just something to think about.

Thanks for your input, Uncle Bob.

I will probably add charcoal at some point, but right now I'm leaning more towards a gas grill simply for convenience. That's what made me look into the Bullseye; it looks like a possible compromise of convenience, "open flame", plus only one type of fuel to keep on-hand.

I bought the Bull back in early June and love it! But I find that it would be nice to have something like the Bullseye for a few reasons:

1. The Bull takes about 45 minutes to get to 450 degrees. I'm reading the Bullseye should be there in half the time.
2. When I want to do a reverse sear, I have to remove the meat and let the Bull heat up for about 20-25 minutes. I'd like to have the Bullseye so I can get it heated up and ready for searing.
3. I think the Bullseye gets tremendously hotter than the Bull. My experience with the Bull this summer is that the top temp is around 450-475 degrees. I may be doing something wrong, but I'm unable to get a temp higher than that.
4. I'll use less pellets heating up the Bullseye for small cooks like burgers or steaks for the wife and I.

Those are the reasons I'll be buying a Bullseye when they are available.

I didn't buy a Bullseye...My wife surprised me with one on my birthday a little over a year ago now. I have the 700, but mentioned I would like to have a Bullseye as well for searing and faster weekday cooks with less pellets used due to the smaller platform, was my thinking. I didn't really know if I would like it or need it or not when I mentioned it to her.

I can say now that if I only was allowed one grill, it would be the Bullseye. The 700 is nice and all, and I do a lot of overnights using it, but that's about it on the Bull. My kamado Joe rarely gets used anymore. The Bullseye is a workhorse. It could be called a piece of carp when comparing it to the Bull, but functionally it's very functional and works well for many types of cooks. It's my favorite for cooking a whole chicken. It will out smoke my KJ, and with much cleaner/tastier smoke flavors.

For smoke, I throw a chunk (~ 3"x 3" x 5") on top of the deflector plate in the back over the holes. It will heat up and smoke really well for whatever flavor I am cooking with. Hickory for pork for sure.

There is a learning curve on this first gen with the knob. Once you dial in say 350° with the knob, you can easily pull the knob off and rotate it to that known temp mark for next time, but keep common sense in mind with changing ambient temps or using different pellets, etc. Now there is a new version with an RTD temp controller. No PID, but you don't really need that with a Bullseye.

If you are not spoiled or really picky about material things, and just want a grill that lights on its own without fuss, and that you can control the temps on yourself, or with a little modern day electronics help, the Bullseye is a must.

My Bullseye started not wanting to run the auger motor on startup about three weeks ago. It would still work after fighting with the knob (turning off/on) to finally get the motor turning. Once started it worked fine. I called support and they sent me a new controller board. Took about 10 minutes to swap it out and that took care of the issue. That's the only issue I have ever had with mine. I still have almost another years worth of warranty left. I love my Bullseye.

Grill on!
My Bullseye is just as easy as a gas grill with a better taste... That said there is a charcoal taste that you only get from charcoal... 6 grills and now only use the RecTeq beacause of ease.. For a reill it is fast, for every night cooking where my bull will grill at high temp, just not as well as the bullseye..

I can now answer this question. My last grill was gas about 12 years ago. Have not owned one since I got rid of that grill 10 years ago. The wife got to experience food cooked on a Rec Tec when we stayed with friends for two weeks in Northern CA. Then again back here in AZ by a friend who does 80% of his cooking on a Rec Tec. They both have the Orange RT. Being just the wife and I now she said lets go for it, Went on the web site and She said that's the one the Bullseye. Both her and I like the old round style with the new pellet features. I knew I did not want gas. Electric, or charcoal, enter the wood pellet grill and definitely a RT. Did my first burn in today outside temp 85deg and everything went perfect grill held at 399 to 403 could not for anything better. Now just hoping to become a Grill Master or at least be able to cook a restaurant style steak. I truly understand now why Rec Teq has such a dedicated following and am glad now to be part of the family. Now lets start BBQ,ing.

Congrats!
I bought the Stampede, but was thinking about adding a second grill for "quick, weekday" cooking after a long day at work, but it's been so easy to fire up the 590 that now I'm not so sure I want a second piece of equipment in my patio.
Grill on!
And thanks for your service to our country!

I have had the OG Bullseye with the dial and loved it. I sold that one when I bought the Beta Bullseye. It has a PID controller just like the stampede and bull, just no wifi. I have cooked hot and fast to low and slow. I have never had a better brisket that the one I recently smoked on my Bullseye. It does it all. I'll even use it just for one hamburger. There are a few things that may sway someone one way or the other about the Bullseye. It doesn't have a grease catch. It is supposed to burn it of on the heat diffuser plate. For long low and slow cooks, you will need to place an aluminum pan under rhe grate. The legs are flimsy and should have been improved with the newer SS model, but they weren't. The lid needs a spacer for better airflow, but they do supply one for that. Cleanliness is a must for the Bullseye. The vents and lip need to be clean for air flow. If you get a Bullseye, it will be your most used grill that you will own.

I have had the OG Bullseye with the dial and loved it. I sold that one when I bought the Beta Bullseye. It has a PID controller just like the stampede and bull, just no wifi. I have cooked hot and fast to low and slow. I have never had a better brisket that the one I recently smoked on my Bullseye. It does it all. I'll even use it just for one hamburger. There are a few things that may sway someone one way or the other about the Bullseye. It doesn't have a grease catch. It is supposed to burn it of on the heat diffuser plate. For long low and slow cooks, you will need to place an aluminum pan under rhe grate. The legs are flimsy and should have been improved with the newer SS model, but they weren't. The lid needs a spacer for better airflow, but they do supply one for that. Cleanliness is a must for the Bullseye. The vents and lip need to be clean for air flow. If you get a Bullseye, it will be your most used grill that you will own.

Now THAT'S a good, balanced report!

I have a tiny kitchen in West Hollywood that has no ventilation, but I do have a rare, fenced front yard.

I wanted something that could do it all — grill, smoke, sear, fry — so that I'd have the basic abilities of an outdoor kitchen, but in a very reasonably sized package.

For the Bullseye price + a couple accessories it can do all those things. Even if it's a master of none. The fact that I can open the lid all the way up with no obstructions, and then work off the griddle to fry some eggs, or use the sear grate on riot mode to make quick work of some fish. It's an amazing little piece of equipment.

Yes, I could do a lot of these things on a gas grill, but with less temperature precision. It also gets plenty hot, especially with our mild winters here.

Those are all the things that went into my motivation to buy it. So far I have not been disappointed in any of its capabilities.

I own a 700 bull. I bought the bullseye to make quick work of searing. I also own the big green egg and it hasn't been used in a long time since I got the rectec. The bullseye is still new for me but I think it will be my go to grill.

I bought it for short, fast, and small cooks but have been disappointed.

I have only had it for a month and had constant problems with it getting to temp or even firing up. When it does ignite properly it takes a long time to get up to the set temp.

Hopefully it will improve. I am getting a lot of attitude from my wife about getting another grill and spending the money on it especially with the issues and problems.

I really love my bullseye. There is definitely a learning curve to it but not as bad as some things. I'm very pleased with it and I have been fortunate that I have not had any problems getting it to temperature. I planned on using it for searing only, but find myself doing slower,
shorter cooks on it as well. I feel like the 590 and the bullseye are a very good match together.

I currently have a 590 and a 2 burner gas grill. In the past I've owned several gas grills (Weber, etc), a charcoal (weber), and started on the farm with a homemade concrete wood-burner grill (still there after 50 years). Every type has strengths and weaknesses. My gas grill heats quickly, can get very hot if needed, but not very good temp control, has cast iron grate & sears really well, very good for burgers, brats, etc. The 590 is easy to use, great temp control, really good at low temp / longer type of cooking, don't have to babysit it while cooking, not as good for searing (without a searing kit). Both grills have lots of stainless steel so with care will last a long time. I modified the 590 SS shelf so it was more useable, and will add a rain deflector cover at some point. Both grills (with Lodge cast iron griddles) cook pizzas extremely and equally well. There is a lot of versatility in having 2 grills, but not everyone has space or wants to spend $. I bought my son-in-law a RT340, which he likes very well. Was tempted to get him a bullseye, but the new version just came out and I wanted a grill that had been out & used / reviewed for a while. The "right" choice depends on what type of cooking you are interested in, available space, budget. I don't know of a grill that is cheap and does absolutely everything superbly (low & slow smoking, high temp searing, easy clean up, durable, precise temp control, etc). But the bullseye could satisfy a lot of those. Read the reviews and customer reactions carefully. There is a lot to like about RecTeq service and products. Good Luck.

Mostly cause I'm lazy! We've had a Trailblazer since late June of this year, and it is absolutely a great smoker & grill, but wanted something to put out on the back patio that I could just "turn on" for those burger, dog, steak afternoons without having to do the charcoal dance on our Smokey Joe. Also adding a cast iron 22" Cast Iron Grill Grate (even though we have them for the 340 that probably would have worked). Hopefully we'll get it before Thanksgiving, but we'll defiantly be putting the RT-340 and the BGE to work for that day either way!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back