Who's Upgrading 700->1250?

I am fine with my 700.

The "upgrades" on the 1250 seem to come from this forum, and if anyone was inclined to up their 700, it can be done for much less than the price difference between the 700 and 1250.

Heat deflector mod. Done.
2nd shelf. I have one and prefer it over the slide out (had that on my Traeger).
Drip shield. I opted for a drip catch like Grilla Grills.
Wire loom. Anyone can do this.
3 rpm motor. Buy the motor, install. $50
Etc, etc.

The only thing that cannot be done is the 2.5 and 5ghz wifi option.

Last edited:
I am fine with my 700.

The "upgrades" on the 1250 seem to come from this forum, and if anyone was inclined to up their 700, it can be done for much less than the price difference between the 700 and 1250.

2nd shelf. I have one and prefer it over the slide out (had that on my Traeger).
Drip shield. I opted for a drip catch like Grills Grills.
Etc, etc.

Please let us know how the 3 rpm motor purchase works out for you.

Please let us know how the 3 rpm motor purchase works out for you.

I actually don't plan on doing that mod.

Others have done it, but I get your point that RT now wants a serial # for parts purchases (or so it seems from various postings here).

You do realize that RT isn't the only game in town for these motors, right? They are made in China.

For example, Pit Boss has an auger motor that will run at 1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 RPM. If it fits, it will likely work, and you can buy these from Walmart. If it doesn't work, just return it.

I am pretty sure the feed rate adjustment is just a voltage adjustment, so it is not inherent on anything special on the auger motor. I have not checked this out for myself, so just guessing here.

I'm heavily considering it. I mostly want it to check my accessories fit and the little things here and there that are upgraded. What's everyone else thinking?

Wonder how much I could get for my 700 with front folding shelf and sear kit...
I am sticking with my 700. It works fine for us.

I am fine with my 700.

Drip shield. I opted for a drip catch like Grills Grills.
Etc, etc.

What is the heat deflector mod you did?

Not sure anyone watched the Tecteq after hours YouTube video from yesterday but
Jody……Jody…..Jody…
question was asked if they are going to sell parts from the new 1250
Jody….Jody….Jody.
said no because the will only fit the 1250 and only made for the 1250

I think we all know that’s BS.

Why would he/they say that? Why not just tell the truth??

Last edited:
Jody……Jody…..Jody…
Jody….Jody….Jody.

They I think we all know that’s BS.

Not the first time RT has been given credit for BS.

Jody……Jody…..Jody…
Jody….Jody….Jody.

They I think we all know that’s BS.

I watched it also, thought the same thing you did. Must have been a used car salesman in another life. No disrespect to any used car salesman on our forum.

Here’s the odd part about Jody. On camera, to me he comes across as quite disingenuous, from his fake smile to most of the words out of his mouth. Yet when I was at Academy and was speaking with him one-on-one, he came across as very sincere. The in-person version of Jody is very likable.

I just built a kitchen around my 700. My better half even let me replace a 9 month old bull with a new one so the whole space would be "new". If I ask to go to the 1250, I might be buried in the back yard!

Jody used to work for Chick Fil A. He mentioned that in one of the videos. Not sure what he did there though.

Jody was a corporate trainer at Hooter’s before coming to recteq.
I don't doubt that. Just saying in one of their cooking videos, he mentions working for CFA.

I didn’t upgrade to the 700 from my 680 because it works so well so no way I’m upgrading to the 1250. Not worth spending the money just to get the latest and greatest. It would be like upgrading your iphone every time there‘s a new upgrade. Not worth it. Put the money in meat and smoke it. Lol

I've already seen 1 locally up for sale. I can't help with price because this person is selling one they literally just got, it is still in the box. They said RT wanted a 15% restocking fee so they are selling for what they paid. They are ordering the RT-1250. I didn't see any reason to upgrade. I figure anything I want I will probably be able to buy once all the new demand wears off and they have plenty of stock. The only thing that might be nice to have but probably can't upgrade is the wireless. It would be cool if it was in a slot like a laptop and was easy to upgrade.
I reached out to RecTeq to inquire on an upgrade for the wifi components seeing as though I’ve had my 700 for 2 months. In the name of the almighty dollar they said they will not be offering an upgrade! In the end it seems that the sear kit from GrillGrate is the only upgrade I’ll need as the aluminum actually conducts at a higher temperature…

I reached out to RecTeq to inquire on an upgrade for the wifi components seeing as though I’ve had my 700 for 2 months. In the name of the almighty dollar they said they will not be offering an upgrade! In the end it seems that the sear kit from GrillGrate is the only upgrade I’ll need as the aluminum actually conducts at a higher temperature…
See if you can purchase the upgrade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back