Whole pig tips/help

cf110814

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm looking to do a whole pig on the 700. Never have done before, so would love some tips. I'm thinking of doing a 50lb pig as that sounds close to the max size you can do on the bull. Here are some of the questions I have:

• Should I keep the pig whole or have the farm butterfly it?
  • I see some recipes that say to end the cook when shoulders/hams reach 165 and others that say 190-205. Is there a reason not to let it go to the higher temps if you have the time?
  • Getting a crispy skin seems like the hardest thing to achieve on a smoker from what I read. Has anyone had any luck achieving this on the 700? Has anyone tried to remove as much skin as possible after the cook is complete and finish the skin on the grill?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'll spare the details, but make sure the farm you're buying it from is reputable. Years ago my dad and I were cooking half a hog for a charity dinner and the hog ended up in the trash and the cooker cleaned with bleach at a car wash.

I'll spare the details, but make sure the farm you're buying it from is reputable. Years ago my dad and I were cooking half a hog for a charity dinner and the hog ended up in the trash and the cooker cleaned with bleach at a car wash.
WOW, what was wrong with the hog?

WOW, what was wrong with the hog?
Significant number of tumors that were not visible through the skin. Seemed alright at first but things went downhill fast when we went to turn it, and well 🤮. Told the charity to not process the donation paper work for the farmer and after a thorough cleaning set about cooking various cuts of beef and pork so they'd still have meat for their event.

images.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back