Whole Chicken

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
2nd cook on the 590 today. Going to toss on a whole chicken, yes I know to cook to temp, but can someone give me a rough guess on how long it will take to get up to temp? The family has a lot of activites tonight so I need to make sure it is done in time. Thank you.

I'm trying a beer can chicken this weekend, so not exactly sure, but I'm going by the Malcom Reed video on youtube, and he basically did 2 hours at 300, 15 min rest.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I stuck it on at 1 @250...will see how long it takes
D0FBF2C4-F906-4CDD-9706-D90023DBBE0C.jpeg

Well how did it turn out?
It was good, not great. I need to change the rub a little (I just pulled out what was we had and made it work). 4 hours at 250. Some parts of the meat were nice and tender, and others not so much. Not bad for a first go at it, but definately room for improvement.

It’s definitely worth considering the spatchcock option-it’s the only way I cook a whole chicken now in the pellet grills and I get to enjoy the beer that used to be shoved into the chicken. I go 425* for the first 15 minutes, then turn it down to 325* for the rest of the cook. Mine is done in a similar amount of time as what @orangebiker said-45-50 minutes.

It’s definitely worth considering the spatchcock option-it’s the only way I cook a whole chicken now in the pellet grills and I get to enjoy the beer that used to be shoved into the chicken. I go 425* for the first 15 minutes, then turn it down to 325* for the rest of the cook. Mine is done in a similar amount of time as what @orangebiker said-45-50 minutes.
solid advice here - spatchcock is the way to go.

I agree with the spatchcocked recommendation. If you want the skin to get crispy, you need to set the temp higher than what you did. 275 to 300 for about an hour works for me. I put the probes in the thickest part of the breast, (avoid touching bone) and pull it off at 160. The dark meat will be measure a little higher but it will remain juicy and not be overcooked. Let the bird rest for a few minutes and the breast temp will usually rise to about 165.

Google some videos on Spatchcocking. It is fabulous and we even do our Thanksgiving turkey on it. Another favorite way we do it is a twist on Beer Can chicken. Take a Bundt cake pan and place seasoned chicken down over the tube part of pan.Pour cup of white wine, chicken broth or even water in bottom. Next,Place a layer of quartered red potatoes and then a layer of green beans around chicken. Cook to 170. The drippings from the chicken add wonderful flavor to the veggies and it is a super easy 1 pot meal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back