fullhouse32

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Looking for suggestions. Iā€™ve never cooked a whole chicken on
The Bull.
Iā€™m wanting to spatchcock it.
And go- šŸ˜‰

Spatchcocked for sure. I prefer to dry brine with a good rub that has a medium level of sodium. I will place the chicken on a wire rack on a baking sheet at least overnight unwrapped in the fridge. I think keeping unwrapped helps keep the moisture in the meat, rather than coming out with the wrap. Just keep things clean and clear of the bird while in the fridge.

I have to triple down on previous responses. Spatchcocked is the way to go. Brined a few hours, rinsed, dried and brushed with a little EVOO then I like to rub with a Greek type rub. Currently using the RT Greek Rub. Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice after taking off the pit and you have a mighty fine cooked and tasting bird.

In addition to the above, something that I do quite often is place orange (or lemon) slices underneath the skin on the breasts and leg/thigh. Adds a great flavor, and some moisture to the process.....of course, I also have an orange and a lemon tree, so alway have them on hand (in season anyway.) :)

For sure cut that guy down flat.. you will love it. These twins look like they were on life support. Just let it go to 165 IT. I believe I ran at 250 to 275 but would prob go hotter to crisp up a bit next time toward the end.

9298F83A-4281-4EFF-86AA-21EDC68D4455.jpeg
CC293E8D-DB7C-464F-91B5-D0EE8BBF6FD9.jpeg

For future reference - iā€™ve found 325 to be the sweet temp for spatchcock chicken/turkey. Crisper skin with overdoing it. Cooked two birds last weekend at that temp in my bull, took a little over 2 hours. Birds were about 5 lbs each. Placed them on the grill when it hit 180 warming up and walked away. Probes set in the thighs and instant probed the breasts when the thighs were done. Then hit one with dads bbq sauce for another 15 minutes.

Looking for suggestions. Iā€™ve never cooked a whole chicken on
The Bull.
Iā€™m wanting to spatchcock it.
And go- šŸ˜‰
Not sure if you've already done the cook, but I just got my 700 and the first cook I did was a beer can chicken and it was fantastic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back