Bull Who uses Req Tec pellets?

I have used the RT pellets since I got my 590 a little over a year ago. Use in my 590 and Bullseye. Really like them, they burn clean and very stable. Honestly they have lasted a while and I cook a lot on both grills. More on the Bullseye now for fast and hot cooks, not much pellet use.

There is a Dicks near me, but not a lot in stock. They have some Lumberjack.

I just opened my last bag was going to buy some Pit Boss or Lumberjack, then saw RT selling pellets, so I ordered a bundle from RT last Friday when I saw they were selling them! I am glad and I think should sell the pellets.

We live in McDonough Ga, so if I needed to go get some I would!

I got the bundle of pellets with my RT590 a week or so ago so I am no "expert"
but so far I have burned 1.5 40 bags of recteq ultimate
1 20 lb bag of bear mountain mesquite
1 17 lb bag of kingsford cumin spice blend
about 10 lbs of pitboss 100% hickory.

the recteq blend produced heat, but the smoke flavor and resulting smoke ring was meh at best, any cooking above 225 might as well have been done in an oven. I would recommend these pellets only for grilling personally and that is how I plan to use them.

The bear mountain mesquite had a great smoke ring at 225 and great smokey flavor, and burgers at 300 also had a great red color and smoke ring after only 10 minutes in the grill.

whole chicken at 300 with recteq ultimate was basically oven cooked, none in my house felt it was smoked
whole chicken at 300 with bear mountain mesquite had a great smoke flavor and color
whole chicken at 300 with pitboss 100% hickory had a great smoke flavor and color

the price I paid from amazon for bear mountain 17.65 per 20 lb bag is 0.8825 cents per lb
if I was to buy 3 bags of recteq ultimate at the current 175$ price it would be 0.875 cents per lb
so slightly cheaper but not as good **at least for my needs / tastes**
if you buy 8 bags for 250$ you can get it down to 0.781 cents per lb, but then you have 320 lbs of light smoke flavor but high heat pellets if that is what you want.
I'm all about getting a good smoke since that's what a smoker's for. I did cook beef tenderloin via reverse seer method & it was awesome. The PB puts out about the same flavor vs traeger for over half the cost.
I'd love to try another brand that's not too expensive to see how it works. Maybe I'll try Bear Mountain.
How did you like PB?
It seems like folks think that if they pay the extra $s, they'll get the better product. Not always the case.

Likely when I run out of my lifetime supply of Kingsford from Lowes when they had their $5 deal, I'll continue with Pit Boss Comp blend as I have had no issues with that.. available at a few places around me and $15 for 40# why go elsewhere. Not sure I will ever need more though :unsure: ..
$5 a bag? Wow, that's pretty good. Lifetime supply probably meaning you emptied the shelf when you saw the sale? I'd do that. Walmart Carrie's PB.

Likely when I run out of my lifetime supply of Kingsford from Lowes when they had their $5 deal, I'll continue with Pit Boss Comp blend as I have had no issues with that.. available at a few places around me and $15 for 40# why go elsewhere. Not sure I will ever need more though :unsure: ..
Your stockpile is why RT resumed selling pellets in the first place!

Yeah, I really like the Bear Mtn Gourmet flavor. Goes great with anything, so I picked up 100 lbs the other day, but still have about 80lbs of Oak. Also have some Traeger Mesquite, Pecan, and Cusinart Burbon Maple.

The Bourbon Maple was pretty good on a Turkey in my Traeger. Not sure how it'll fare with the RT, but.....we might be finding out in two months or so. 🍗 (Though I have convinced the wife that Prime Rib is better for Thanks giving and Xmas.) :D

RT pellets is overpriced for an average product from what I'm reading. So, they tried to fill a niche but failed. Too bad.
I don't know that I'd call it a niche - they sell grills so makes sense to sell the fuel. It's more that there are plenty of options on the market, and at competitive price points. If you like in an area with stores like Rural King selling LJ for under $10 a bag, there isn't a need to look elsewhere (and I'm still jealous of those prices).

Yeah, I really like the Bear Mtn Gourmet flavor. Goes great with anything, so I picked up 100 lbs the other day, but still have about 80lbs of Oak. Also have some Traeger Mesquite, Pecan, and Cusinart Burbon Maple.

The Bourbon Maple was pretty good on a Turkey in my Traeger. Not sure how it'll fare with the RT, but.....we might be finding out in two months or so. 🍗 (Though I have convinced the wife that Prime Rib is better for Thanks giving and Xmas.) :D
I have a 24 lb rib roast dying to be smoked for xmas. 7 bone in.

I don't know that I'd call it a niche - they sell grills so makes sense to sell the fuel. It's more that there are plenty of options on the market, and at competitive price points. If you like in an area with stores like Rural King selling LJ for under $10 a bag, there isn't a need to look elsewhere (and I'm still jealous of those prices).
Still not sure why req tec doesnt offer better pricing for req tec owners. I'll stick with the cheap & get more fuel that way.

I think pellets are one place where the online only presence of Rec Teq hurts them. Shipping a few bags across the country isn’t an efficient means of distribution whereas a truckload to Lowe’s, Rural King or Tractor Supply allows them to sell at a more competitive price point. As I recall folks who pick up pellets at RT headquarters get them at a more reasonable price.

I think pellets are one place where the online only presence of Rec Teq hurts them. Shipping a few bags across the country isn’t an efficient means of distribution whereas a truckload to Lowe’s, Rural King or Tractor Supply allows them to sell at a more competitive price point. As I recall folks who pick up pellets at RT headquarters get them at a more reasonable price.
Makes sense.

I'm all about getting a good smoke since that's what a smoker's for. I did cook beef tenderloin via reverse seer method & it was awesome. The PB puts out about the same flavor vs traeger for over half the cost.
I'd love to try another brand that's not too expensive to see how it works. Maybe I'll try Bear Mountain.
How did you like PB?
It seems like folks think that if they pay the extra $s, they'll get the better product. Not always the case.

Yeah, I am used to smoking with charcoal and chunks or full on sticks in my offset or ugly drum smoker, and there it is easy to get smokey flavour even at 350. This may be why I find the rec teq blend so "weak" but I also notice that many who like the recteq ultimate blend also like using additional smoke tubes, which is telling me that they also feel that the blend is only good for heat and not really smoke.

I have a smoke tube but have been testing what I can do with just pellets before i decide to use it, and so far I get good smoke results from bear mountain and the pitboss pellets, though I prefer the mesquite bear mountain over the hickory pitboss so far, but that might just be because I generally prefer mesquite.

I just filled my hopper with 25 lbs of rec teq ultimate so ill be using that the rest of the week and maybe some of the weekend :p then next in my rotation is a bag of bear mountain blend, ill see how the blend compares.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back