Who uses Req Tec pellets?

Lilbullowner

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
Does anyone use the req tec brand pellets? It sure is expensive & was wondering if it's worth the piece of mind.
I've used Treager which is $20 / 20 lb bag & Pitt Boss for about $8 / 20 lb bag. I've noticed no difference other than Pitt Boss is much cheaper (flavor is about same). I'm getting req tec spam mails to buy their "bundle pack" where a bag is $280 / 320 lbs. If you break this down, it comes down to about $23 for a 20 lb bag.

If you use req tec brand, why? Is it a loyalty cost or have you learned it's really worth the premium?

Thanks.

RecTeq bags are 40# so that is $35.00 a bag but they are on sale now for $250.00 so $31.25 per bag. Good deal, good pellets, great flavor. Highly recommended. Looks like they are selling again as before you needed to buy a grill in order to purchase them.

I have used them exclusively since buying my 700 2.5 years ago. I got four bags with the grill, they worked very well, and I figured if I had any pellet related grill problems RT wouldn’t have an out. I get them by the bag from Amazon for $35/bag.

RecTeq bags are 40# so that is $35.00 a bag but they are on sale now for $250.00 so $31.25 per bag. Good deal, good pellets, great flavor. Highly recommended. Looks like they are selling again as before you needed to buy a grill in order to purchase them.
That's still more than Pitt Boss. Have you tried that brand? RT is still a few bucks more than PB & you're able to pick it up at Walmart & not wait. It's $7.96 a 20 lb bag vs $15.62 if you translate the PB brand to 20 lbs. $8 more.

Last edited:
I have used them exclusively since buying my 700 2.5 years ago. I got four bags with the grill, they worked very well, and I figured if I had any pellet related grill problems RT wouldn’t have an out. I get them by the bag from Amazon for $35/bag.
I've had the RT-700 since December, works great & clean it out after each smokeout. I may try some but wont use exclusively if there's no difference in flavor. Why waste the money.

I haven't used RT pellets since the bundle that was part of my original order. There are plenty of alternatives, as noted, and I haven't felt the need to go back. Plus, they weren't selling pellets separately for a while.

I haven't used RT pellets since the bundle that was part of my original order. There are plenty of alternatives, as noted, and I haven't felt the need to go back. Plus, they weren't selling pellets separately for a while.
The only deal I got was to buy RT-700 & get a Matadore. Sounds like a better deal than bags of pellets.

I use them exclusively now. Buy a bag at a time for $35 on Amazon, that’s 40 hours of smoking so less than a buck an hour to operate. Burns clean, hot, low ash. Also I like that they are oak heavy, that’s how we do it in Texas.

I didn’t buy more with the 1250 I ordered, I don’t need that many pellets hanging around.

I got the bundle of pellets with my RT590 a week or so ago so I am no "expert"
but so far I have burned 1.5 40 bags of recteq ultimate
1 20 lb bag of bear mountain mesquite
1 17 lb bag of kingsford cumin spice blend
about 10 lbs of pitboss 100% hickory.

the recteq blend produced heat, but the smoke flavor and resulting smoke ring was meh at best, any cooking above 225 might as well have been done in an oven. I would recommend these pellets only for grilling personally and that is how I plan to use them.

The bear mountain mesquite had a great smoke ring at 225 and great smokey flavor, and burgers at 300 also had a great red color and smoke ring after only 10 minutes in the grill.

whole chicken at 300 with recteq ultimate was basically oven cooked, none in my house felt it was smoked
whole chicken at 300 with bear mountain mesquite had a great smoke flavor and color
whole chicken at 300 with pitboss 100% hickory had a great smoke flavor and color

the price I paid from amazon for bear mountain 17.65 per 20 lb bag is 0.8825 cents per lb
if I was to buy 3 bags of recteq ultimate at the current 175$ price it would be 0.875 cents per lb
so slightly cheaper but not as good **at least for my needs / tastes**
if you buy 8 bags for 250$ you can get it down to 0.781 cents per lb, but then you have 320 lbs of light smoke flavor but high heat pellets if that is what you want.

Tractor Supply sells Bear Mountain for $9.99 for 20 lbs, so 80lbs is $40.

If you live near one, it's the cheapest game in town, and Bear Mountain pellets are really good.

Last edited:
I use them all the time, but I live near them. They sell them for only $19 for a 40lbs bag if you pick up directly from them.

Tractor Supply sells Bear Mountain for $9.99 for 20 lbs, so 40lbs is $40.

If you live near one, it's the cheapest game in town, and Bear Mountain pellets are really good.
Closest one is 40 miles away, but wholesale sports has them for 10.99 for 20 lbs, and safeway right next to my house often has 11.99 for a 20 lb. I found this after buying from amazon on the last bag, I plan on trying more soon thouhg, have to use the stuff I bought in the bundle though so my wife doesn't yell at me too much.

I also got the pellet bundle when I bought my 340. {4) 40 lb. bags of RT Perfect Mix, (3) 20 lb. bags of Kingsford, Hickory, Maple, and some sort of blend. I generally don't do long cooks. Mostly fish at 225. The only (2) long cooks were bb ribs, and beef back ribs. The bb ribs were pretty darn good. The beef back ribs were outstanding. I did use a smoke tube with the both mixing Mesquite wood chips in. Good smoke flavor and ring. I'm just about through with the first 40 lb. of RT pellets. I've got the Kingsford Hickory up next. I'll let you know then.

I had used RecTeq (well rectec) pellets up until I ran out and they stopped selling them. Right now I still have about 200 pounds of Lumber Jack pellets.

Personally for me, RecTeq and Lumber Jack are great pellets.

Likely when I run out of my lifetime supply of Kingsford from Lowes when they had their $5 deal, I'll continue with Pit Boss Comp blend as I have had no issues with that.. available at a few places around me and $15 for 40# why go elsewhere. Not sure I will ever need more though :unsure: ..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back