Which one should I buy?

ronpage

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and set on buying a Rec Tec Pellet Grill. Only problem is that I can't decide on which one, and I'm hoping y'all can point me in the right direction.

I only need to cook for two and very occasionally four. I'm torn between the Rec Tec RT340 and the 590 but having difficulty in getting enough information about the two to make the decision. Aside from smoking surface size, are there any differences? WiFi is important to me, and I want to be able to control temperature settings from my cell phone.

Can anyone give me any information?

Thanks!

Ron

OK, what brand would you recommend, and why?

Ron
Grilla seems like a good value.
Plus they have "straight from the jungle pricing."

Reactions: MWP
I recently purchased a RT-340...my first pellet grill.
Only two of us...the grill size is perfect for us !!!
Love it...and it's portable for for use on camping trips, tailgates....

As someone who owns a RT-700 and a RT-340, my suggestion is get the 340 if it will be 2 of you, but if there are times when there are 4 (or more), get the 590. However, as another recommendation, the Bullseye and the 340 make an awesome combination. They are by far the most used grills in my bloated inventory.

Just for the smoking space, or are there any other benefits to the larger one?
It seems that after the 1250 came out, the 590 is the first model of the existing product line to the the improved 3RPM auger, heat deflector, etc.

As far as other brands, I looked at Traeger as the de facto, Yoder, Green Mountain Grills, and a few others. I had never heard of Grilla until coming here. I talked to a lot of people that had Traegers and none were happy. The Yoder guys like theirs except for rust issues, significantly increased pricetag for American made, and the fact that they had to go through retail sources with additional retail markup.

My 1250 has been working well for almost a year. Some quirks, like an app that's really only good for turning the thing on/off or setting the temperature, but pretty much everything I've ever owned from trucks to washing machines all have their quirks. I am concerned about the long term quality of Recteq with their VC money focusing on profits. Also many of us have had horror stories about shipping (mine wasn't horrible, but still a bad way to start the new grill process).

I feel for the folks that have had back luck with Recteq. So far, I've been cooking at least 3 times a week and am satisfied. Not a fanboy, but I also don't regret my purchase at all.

I can do 2 racks of BBs on my 340, is that enough for 4?

My only issue is head clearance for turkey and such.

I can do 2 racks of BBs on my 340, is that enough for 4?

My only issue is head clearance for turkey and such.
2 racks of ribs will feed 4 here,now, but years ago we used to figure 1 rack per person. The turkey head clearance was exactly what I was thinking of, plus I had a 18# brisket that I used the Bull for last weekend because it wouldn’t fit on the 340 without hanging over the drip tray.
571EB904-6D74-423D-913D-EEBBECA87A80.jpeg
50354FD5-814A-4DBD-A17F-656DB119E3D6.jpeg
E28C5FB4-BF17-44A4-9AB1-D18B9E80D424.jpeg

WiFi is important to me, and I want to be able to control temperature settings from my cell phone.
In this case, you have a problem! There isn’t a pellet grill out there in the $0-$2500 price range that has a solid wifi implementation. That’s certainly the case with Recteq.

I’ve had my RT-340 for a bit over a year and the grill has done everything I’ve asked of it EXCEPT operate properly via wifi. I’ve used the grill extensively during that time and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of successful wifi connects I’ve had. And, this is especially true on weekends/holidays when the RT servers get overloaded.

If you can do without wifi connectivity, then the RT-340 will do a fine job for you. I’ve cooked a variety of meats for up to 6 people on it with great results. I’ve just had to monitor the grill personally rather than check it via my cell phone (an iPhone 13, btw).

Good luck with your decision.

OK, what brand would you recommend, and why?

Ron
Although Traeger gets a bad rap here, I owned one for years and never had an issue. In fact, I gave it to my daughter and her husband and it’s still trucking along. Must be 6 years old at this point. BTW, their app actually works ALL the time.

I’ll be frank here about pellet grills….they ALL smoke, grill, etc. Pellet grills are jack of all trade devices, master of none.

The $300 Expert Grill and Pit Boss grills at Walmart will make food as tasty as a Rec Teq. All these makers use, or use a derivative, of Joe Traeger’s original design. Most of what your are paying for with some of the higher end brands is the quality of steel used, and the accuracy (or temperature range) of the PID or controller.

Recommendations must have a budget assigned.

How much are you wanting/willing to spend?
What are your priorities?
Mostly grilling, or mostly smoking?

You said WiFi is important. I’ll tell you right now that Rec Teq is lacking in this Department. Out off all of them, Traeger, Weber, and Camp Chef are leading the way here.

Just browse your phones App Store and take a look.

Last edited:
I had a 590 and was happy with it. Only reason I have the RT700 was because I could upgrade for $300. If the WIFI is important, be advised the RT app sucks at notifications especially on holiday weekends when the server traffic is high. There are work arounds available, but most owners don't want to spend the extra $$ on it after the expense of the cooker. I choose to utilize my Fireboard for temp monitoring and notifications. It has been flawless.

Last edited:
I'd go 590, but of course I'm biased.....also believe it's the most sorted out of the line. I have yet to have any wifi issues, no rust, and does exactly as I ask of it at least a few times a week. I do like the Grilla grills however, and what I'd likely go with next if they are still around.

I have nothing against RT other than they’ve become more profit driven since being acquired. Some of the customer support answers people have posted here are nonsensical and contrary to the laws of physics. 😂

Mine works great, but I’ve given up on the app and use my ThermoWorks Signals for monitoring.

That being said, I think that Grilla and Camp Chef are producing better units, and offering better value for the money.

It’s no secret here to many that my next grill will be an American made 🇺🇸Pitts and Spitts🇺🇸 grill. Still deciding if I want another pellet grill, or a stick burner.

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and set on buying a Rec Tec Pellet Grill. Only problem is that I can't decide on which one, and I'm hoping y'all can point me in the right direction.

I only need to cook for two and very occasionally four. I'm torn between the Rec Tec RT340 and the 590 but having difficulty in getting enough information about the two to make the decision. Aside from smoking surface size, are there any differences? WiFi is important to me, and I want to be able to control temperature settings from my cell phone.

Can anyone give me any information?

Thanks!

Ron
Ron, I have all four from the 340 to the 1250. Buy the 590. You'll enjoy it when it is time to make ribs and brisket or throw some corn/baked potatoes, etc. on with the burgers. Trust me. And get the additional removable shelf...it's worth it for the same reasons noted above.
Randee

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back