Which Interior Shelf for RecTeq grill?

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have the Bull and am considering an interior shelf. Does the large one make the main grate hard to access? Is the small shelf a good compromise? Are there other advantages or disadvantages of each?

I've heard people say they prefer two small ones to the large one. I also saw somebody on the FB page that make custom slide out shelves, but I think that is too expensive for what it is.

I have the large shelf, and when I use it I do not move the meats around much at all, so access to the main grate has never been an issue for me.

The large shelf was included in the package I purchased last July and I thought I would never use it, I love it especially for cooking corn on the cob with what ever else we're having cooking below. The small shelf has less height over the grill, small 2.75 inches large 4 inches.

Agree.. the 4 inch clearance gives me plenty of room to work. The top shelf is good for items like corn or extra racks of ribs on larger cooks.

made a trip to rec tec today and the guy was recommending the smaller shelf for the bull until I told him why I wanted the large— MORE RIBS. I can easily now get 4 FULL SIZE spare rib racks loaded without overcrowding. Salesman said the small shelf fits front to back in the bull if this helps. Almost got the small shelf just because, hope I don’t regret not buying it later

I have both shelves. The large sits twice as high as the small. This makes it more user friendly. The small one is fine of to the side but no real clearance to the main grate. Rack of ribs will for under it, but nothing much bigger

I make the custom interior shelf for the Bull & the 590. It makes everything easy, it’s solid & very user friendly. It’s notched for the light so you can mount it as high as you like. Only gotta do it once ?. Hit me up for more details, I’m about 3 weeks out.

Attachments

• 044ECEA5-417D-4210-B367-3CC7C41251DA.jpeg
    044ECEA5-417D-4210-B367-3CC7C41251DA.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,171
please excuse my ignorance as I am new to all of this, but are you smoking ice? or is the ice to help the cold smoke?
It was getting a little warm that morning, so I added some ice to the chamber for cold smoking the cheese. I like to keep the chamber temp to 80 or below.

I make the custom interior shelf for the Bull & the 590. It makes everything easy, it’s solid & very user friendly. It’s notched for the light so you can mount it as high as you like. Only gotta do it once ?. Hit me up for more details, I’m about 3 weeks out.
Hi Chad - I understand you make multiple accessories for the Bull. If correct, do you have pictures to share or a website to browse? The interior sliding shelf looks great.

Chad your shelf option looks great! The second shelf options Recteq offers is there only downfall IMHO. I have a 590 and am very interested in your solution. Can you provide me with more details as to cost and mounting hardware ect... Thanks

I have the large shelf. Don’t use it all that much but when I do, I find it to have plenty of clearance for ribs, chicken and other thinner meats. But with just 4” of clearance there are limitations obviously.

Chad your shelf option looks great! The second shelf options Recteq offers is there only downfall IMHO. I have a 590 and am very interested in your solution. Can you provide me with more details as to cost and mounting hardware ect... Thanks
MESTOK I just installed mine today on my 590. The brackets are installed on each side and the shelf slides in. I’ll be using in a bit for some wangs...

Attachments

• 101F3377-956A-4971-9673-130E82F090E6.jpeg
    101F3377-956A-4971-9673-130E82F090E6.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 633
  • FFE3C1F0-8029-464D-B587-37BB1A516763.jpeg
    FFE3C1F0-8029-464D-B587-37BB1A516763.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 541
  • AFE77B78-424A-4482-BB71-BB9340F9EE98.jpeg
    AFE77B78-424A-4482-BB71-BB9340F9EE98.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 505
  • 145AE697-DC35-41DE-8F70-7C9C5F5AE27F.jpeg
    145AE697-DC35-41DE-8F70-7C9C5F5AE27F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 543
How much is the shelf for a Bull? And I'm assuming I will have to drill some additional holes in my grill?

Hey Chad, love the shelf and interested in getting one. Can you contact me for how to order one? Thanks!

So I don't normally post anything as I don't want anyone telling what a crumby idea that is or it wont work.
This works for me. The right side of my 590 always runs hotter. I decided to put 2 fire bricks opposite of the auger. Also used 2 more fire bricks on each side of the grates as the base for the 2nd shelf. I chiseled a large V in the bricks by the temp probe so it had some room to breath. Been running it with all the fire bricks for the last 2 months with no issues and the right side is no longer hotter than the left.
2nd shelf - RecTeq 590 grates - I cut off one of the ends on both and bolted them together with fender washers. Although I had not used the 2nd shelf at the time of the photos I have used it since and it works well. It easily slides back and forth on the bricks as needed, 4.5" of clearance from the lower to the upper shelf and 3.8" from the 2nd to the lid opening.
This is all very easy to take out when its time to clean out the fire pot.

Attachments

• 2nd shelf clearance.jpg
    2nd shelf clearance.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 459
  • 2nd shelf.jpg
    2nd shelf.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 443
  • Clearance to lid.jpg
    Clearance to lid.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 444
  • 20210206_150433 (2).jpg
    20210206_150433 (2).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 419

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back