Where to find recipes/instructions for making jerky?

SoFLAgriller

After reading sportnut's post on the RT-700 forum about venison jerky, I thought I'd like to try making jerky. I've never made jerky of any kind before. But, I couldn't find any recipes or instructions in this Forum's postings or on the Recteq.com Recipe section. Can anyone point me in the direction of good jerky instructions/recipes, especially for those using a pellet grill? Things that would help with things like ... What cuts of meat work best, cook times, temps, common spices/flavorings, etc.? Thanks.

Thanks Chris_G. I shoulda thought of that. I guess I'm an old dog forgetting his tricks.

After not finding jerky recipes on this forum or the Recteq recipes I started to wonder if jerky is best made on a smoker, or maybe rather in a dehydrator or oven as my recent Google search most often mentions. :)

I have done a few batches, some very lean ground beef and one batch of lean muscle meat. Since I had no idea what is was doing I used Hi Mountain jerky seasonings original and hunters blend. They all came out great.

Did some at 180 degrees and some at 225. All batches took 3 to 4 hours. Had nice smoke flavor and not over powering. The one thing I learned is to rotate the racks half way through for more even cook. Also if pieces were over the end of the drip pan, maybe close to the edges cook way faster. I'm still working on preferred texture since most people in the household like it differently of course.

There were some informative posts early last year that were very helpful.

Beth V posted a really nice description for thin cut and thicker cuts.

Here is a screen shot from that post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201228-193021.png
    Screenshot_20201228-193021.png
    329 KB · Views: 109

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back